How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2011
V.I.P.

French Court Convicts Galliano
Quote:
PARIS—Former Christian Dior designer John Galliano Thursday was convicted by a Paris court of making anti-Semitic comments during two bar fights that cost one of fashion's most high-profile personalities his job.

A Paris court judge said Mr. Galliano's alleged anti-Semitic comments in two bar fights were consistent enough to determine they actually occurred. In addition, the judge said Mr. Galliano was sufficiently conscious to be held responsible for his words. During a court appearance in June, Mr. Galliano sought to distance himself from the comments by claiming an addiction to alcohol and drugs.

The judge ordered Mr. Galliano to pay €13,500 ($19,031) in civil damages to three defendants and five associations. She also handed down a suspended criminal fine of €6,000. Mr. Galliano must only pay the criminal fine if he repeats the crime in the next five years.

Mr. Galliano's lawyer, Aurélien Hamelle, said he was satisfied with the verdict. "The court understood that he is not an ideologue, but is sick," Mr. Hamelle said.

Mr. Galliano didn't attend the court hearing. Mr. Hamelle said Mr. Galliano wanted to avoid the intense media spotlight that has been focused on him since news of a bar fight emerged in February.

Mr. Galliano was fired from French couture house Dior in March, days before its fashion show, after a video emerged allegedly showing Mr. Galliano declaring his love for Hitler. The video surfaced days after Mr. Galliano was arrested for making anti-Semitic comments to two people in a Paris bar. That incident prompted a third person to accuse Mr. Galliano of making similar comments in the same bar last October.
[wsj.com]

08-09-2011
V.I.P.

Well, this was predictable. I hope now he can move on with his life, seek whatever treatment he need and get back to work.

fashion icon

Thats hardly any money to Galliano I suspect. Personally I think he should have gotten a harsher sentence but you know how it is, the wealthy/more famous you are, the less likely you are to get a strict sentence. He doesn't even have to go to mandated counseling or anything? That's awful. It really irks me that people are willing to forgive Galliano for his behavior so easily, especially since there is evidence that he said those things, it's not like it's just an allegation. There is actual proof that he said these things. People are so quick to forgive when it's someone who's in the limelight.

rising star

Good for him! I think he needs more help than punishment. I am happy they did not condemn him heavier because of who he is.
I am now hoping he will be back at Dior soon or that another fashion house will hire him to do what he does best: make us all dream!
Good luck Monsieur Galliano!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
convicts, court, french, galliano