Gucci Announces It's Going Fur-Free - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-10-2017
V.I.P.

Gucci Announces It's Going Fur-Free
Quote:
Gucci is the latest fashion brand to go fur-free. During a talk at the London College of Fashion on Wednesday, Gucci President and CEO Marco Bizzarri announced that as of its Spring 2018 collection, the company will “no longer use, promote or publicize animal fur.”

The brand also announced that it would be joining the Fur Free Alliance, an organization which “focuses on the deprivation and cruelty suffered by fur bearing animals both in wild trapping and industrial fur farming.” In addition to refraining from any future fur use, Gucci will be organizing a charity auction to sell off its remaining animal fur items, with proceeds going to LAV, an Italian animal rights group, and the Humane Society of the United States.

This is a significant departure for the company, which has previously incorporated animal fur into many of its designs, including kangaroo fur-lined loafers. As Vogue points out though, the move is not entirely unexpected, given that Kering, Gucci’s parent company, has been working towards increased sustainability for some time now. With its pledge, Gucci joins brands like Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Madewell which have also decided to go forgo the use of fur.

thecut

fashion elite

Given that Gucci is (ugh) one of the market leaders right now, this is a pretty bold move. I like how fur looks and feels but I agree that it is completely unnecessary in this time and age, so it's good to see major brands ditching it.

However, fur is often used in Gucci collections so are they planning to remove it altogether from future designs or use fake fur instead of real?

V.I.P.

^I had the same question as well. I assume they're going to use fake fur. Given how popular their fur slippers are, I can't imagine them discontinuing them any time soon.

V.I.P.

The fur slippers are pretty hot sellers, as you've said. I'm guessing they'll replace real fur with fake fur, but we'll see.

fashion elite

I guess it's a good thing but i don't get how we could put sustainable and fake fur in the same sentence. It's known that fake fur is bad for environment and if they are going to replace fur with fake fur, then the whole message is blurred.

I have that Max Mara teddy bear coat that has a kind of fake-fur look. Maybe brands should developp more into something like that.
It will be interesting to see how they will work on that.

12-10-2017
V.I.P.

Thank you so much in the name of the animals for ending that cruelty to that creatures. BIG CARMA FOR YOU..We need more followers. <3 <3 <3 <3

12-10-2017
V.I.P.

Awesome to see them move forward and leaving the old centuries behind . There's just no excuse. The production of sustainable clothes isn't flawless but you have to let go of archaic and barbaric practices in order to completely focus on how to improve and refine the new ways technology (product of a developed brain, not cavemen logic) has brought for us.

12-10-2017
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I guess it's a good thing but i don't get how we could put sustainable and fake fur in the same sentence. It's known that fake fur is bad for environment and if they are going to replace fur with fake fur, then the whole message is blurred.

I have that Max Mara teddy bear coat that has a kind of fake-fur look. Maybe brands should developp more into something like that.
It will be interesting to see how they will work on that.
Presumably they could make it from recycled polyester fibers, a la Synchilla fleece ... which has 80% recycled content.

Good for Gucci.

12-10-2017
Fat Karl

Faux fur never ages well.

V.I.P.

Well done!!!

12-10-2017
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
I have a Patagonia coat that is surprisingly nice looking (I bought it for the wind-stop lining for walking in the winter, but it looks so good I'll wear it out to a nice dinner too), and it looks brand new after several years. It needed a repair, and they took care of it for $5, including return shipping. A great company ...

It's polyester, not recycled unfortunately, but I expect it to have a long life span.

Real fur is considerably higher maintenance, and also has a shelf life ... not sure exactly what the max is given proper maintenance.

13-10-2017
front row

http://footwearnews.com/2017/fashion...-shoes-443716/

13-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgalcrush View Post
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link.

tfs star

I think with Stella McCartney using more innovation in fabric and recycled material as well as faux-fur with less environmental impact, Kering has great resource to do it and this is great to hear.

13-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
Well you need not worry about your coat ageing well if we continue to destroy our ecosystem..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
announces, furfree, gucci