How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-03-2006
V.I.P.

Gwyneth Paltrow drinks while pregnant
Gwyneth Paltrow has a new motto: "Guinness is good for the baby."
The Oscar-winning actress was visibly annoyed at the stares and pointing when she had dinner with hubby Chris Martin on Tuesday at hip lower East Side sushi bar Cube 63.

But the stares turned to gapes when the pregnant actress downed a beer.

"People were looking and waving, and she just tried to melt further into the corner," according to one witness, who said she ordered salad and what appeared to be sushi.

Diners in the 30-seat restaurant observed Martin exit the BYOB joint to pick up several bottles of the Irish stout Guinness at a nearby deli. And they were surprised when Paltrow, who is five months pregnant with the couple's second child, drank one herself.

Paltrow is famous for her rigorous macrobiotic diet, although she altered it the last time she was pregnant, with her daughter, Apple. Some experts recommend a little Guinness for expecting mothers, because of the brew's high iron content.

Her rep confirmed she drank the alcoholic beverage, but said she ate only cooked food, not sushi.

Guess there is something to that Guinness slogan after all!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-342376c.html

30-03-2006
Deep Red Bells

I love that everyone is making such a big deal of this.
I know she's pregnant and all, but is one beer that big of a deal?

30-03-2006
V.I.P.

Here's something about fetal alcohol syndrome:

Quote:
Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is a condition characterized by abnormal facial features, growth retardation, and central nervous system problems. It can occur if a woman drinks alcohol during pregnancy. Children with FAS may have physical disabilities and problems with learning, memory, attention, problem solving, and social/behavioral problems.

When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her unborn baby. There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant and there also does not appear to be a safe time to drink during pregnancy either. Therefore, it is recommended that women abstain from drinking alcohol at any time during pregnancy. Women who are sexually active and do not use effective birth control should also refrain from drinking because they could become pregnant and not know for several weeks or more.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fas/

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
I love that everyone is making such a big deal of this.
I know she's pregnant and all, but is one beer that big of a deal?
I think it is a big deal. Alcohol is bad for an unborn child full stop.

30-03-2006
Deep Red Bells

I know drinking during pregnancy is bad, but alot of doctors say one drink here or there (esp. wine) isn't all that bad and the risk isn't that big.
If Gwyneth wants to take that risk that is her decision and nobody else's buisness. ( except maybe Chris' cause it's his baby too)

30-03-2006
scenester

It's bad. Look what happened to Britney Spears kid? Now don't say drinking while preg isn't THAT BAD. Pfft ...

Deep Red Bells

Did Britney really drink while pregnant?
I thought she just gets her kid drunk and lets him drive her car?

30-03-2006
V.I.P.

Britney never drank while she was pregnant. If it was Britney instead of Gwyneth people would be freaking out, but people assume that Gwyneth knows what she's talking about because she's so pretentious and healthy.

Power to the 99%

I believe it depends on what stage the pregnancy is in. I have known of doctors prescribing wine in the 8th month or so (maybe 7th) for moms who are starting to have early contractions and don't want to deliver prematurely. Five months sounds like the wrong time to be drinking, but I am not an expert on this :p

30-03-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
I know drinking during pregnancy is bad, but alot of doctors say one drink here or there (esp. wine) isn't all that bad and the risk isn't that big.
If Gwyneth wants to take that risk that is her decision and nobody else's buisness. ( except maybe Chris' cause it's his baby too)
I wouldn't say having "one drink" would do anything to the baby. But it's when people get into the habit.....all those little bits of drinknig every now and then...adds up to A LOT.

V.I.P.

This sounds like another crock of sh*t story to make Gwyneth look bad (How many stories have we had this year so far - 73).

I need to see pictures before I believe this dribble.

30-03-2006
front row

^ Agree. And, she is not five-months pregnant. She is further along than that -- more like eight months. I just saw her at the Coldplay concert. She's HUGE.

One drink will not harm. Many women drink before they even know they're pregnant, and that is w/in the first trimester, when it's even riskier! Plus, I doubt she was drinking. She's so health-conscious! Again, just another made-up story about Gwyneth.

30-03-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsAreMade
I wouldn't say having "one drink" would do anything to the baby. But it's when people get into the habit.....all those little bits of drinknig every now and then...adds up to A LOT.
Actually it can ... it just all depends when you do it--what the baby is growing during the hours when you give him/her that drink. Because remember, whatever you eat or drink, the baby eats or drinks. The reason it's not an issue late in the pregnancy is because the baby is finished developing and is just gaining weight. However, you wouldn't give the baby a martini after s/he's born :p

30-03-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I doubt Gwen would take any chances... or be seen in public if she felt it was terrible to do... I'm not a doctor, so I don't know.

30-03-2006
V.I.P.

One drink has the potential to make her baby serious physical and mental disabilities and whose to say that she doesn't drink more if she's unapologetic about drinking in public?

I know a lot about FAS and what she did is a serious, terrible thing. You wouldn't smoke or do drugs while pregnant, and even if you did the baby might come out fine, but there's still the chance that it wouldn't. When someone drinks alcohol when they're pregnant, so does their baby, and it's definately not right to give an infant a drink. That might seem extreme, but what she did is not okay.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
drinks, gwyneth, paltrow, pregnant