How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2011
V.I.P.

Im a male, and i find nothing sexy about this shirt i just see a girl sitting there looking bored. it doesn't bother me at all. i just think might shatter Hailey's modeling career because fashion hates any negative attention. her parents may win, and might get money but Hailey can kiss her runway fame goodbye

if a model is going to complain about photos this day in age then dont take them. that would be like Lindsey complaining about a Terry Richardson image. yo know what you're getting into before you go to a shoot. the agent more than likely will ask the photogrpaher or client what is the direction and what kind of shoot will be happening. Hailey and her parents just want the shirt profits... if another image of that shoot was used i wonder if this would have the same effect

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionStalking View Post

And I highly doubt she didn't know what she was doing:

What about the Russian Vogue shoot with the sheer-paneled Stella McCartney dress? The topless and open-shirt photos in Spanish Vogue? Are you going to sue those photographers, as well?
I know that's not really in relation to the rest of your post but I just wanted to comment on this. Why do people think it's ok to take shots like that of her just because she had done a few sexy shoots already? She was barely 15 (her birthday is in March) when those pictures were taken, there's a reason there are laws to protect children from that because they're NOT responsible for themselve in such cases. How can a 14 year old judge what intentions a photographer or client has when putting her in raunchy outfits and making her pose like this and how it will affect her later on? All other points aside I don't see why everyone's blaming Hailey for the over-sexualized image created around her when she was just a kid at the time.

24-08-2011
fashion icon

Get that Cash Clausons!

They may as well since they've Ali Michael'ed Hailey's career. You never take on the the fashion industry!

Last edited by carmen_kass; 24-08-2011 at 05:03 AM.
24-08-2011
V.I.P.

It will be a shame if Hailey's career ends like this she seems like a great girl and is very good in print for someone so young

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Underage Model Row

Lauren Milligan
24 August 2011
5 comments

Updated Monday August 22, 8.14am: The T-shirt at the centre of a legal wrangle in the US - bearing a "salacious" image of then-15-year-old model Hailey Clauson - was produced by independent label Blood is the New Black. The label's founder, Mitra Khayyam, is being sued by Clauson's family alongside the photographer who took the image, Jason Lee Parry, and the store which distributed it, Urban Outfitters. Parry claims the image was "stolen" from him to be used on the T-shirt, the New York Post reports, but Blood is the New Black's Mitra Khayyam says quite the opposite is true.

How did you come to use the shot - did Mr Parry sell it to you?
"I met with Jason a few times at the office, showed him our different tee bodies and printing capabilities and invited him to join the collection of over 45 artists at Blood is the New Black. Jason then emailed me a PDF of over 20 images for us to select from, we chose seven images, three of which featured the teen model. While I was in Europe in January of 2011, Jason dropped off a disk with the requested high res images at our office. Blood is the New Black does not purchase images outright from our artists; instead we pay them royalties on sales, believing that our success translates into theirs. Our escalating royalty structure ensures that our artists benefit when we have success with their images. Jason was paid for several of his images, including the image in question of the model."

Did he explicitly tell you that you had permission to use it on a T-shirt?
"Blood is the New Black is a T-shirt collection; there was no other use for the high-res images at our company. I explicitly named the images our partners wished to purchase and in turn he delivered the images as well as received payment for them."

What do you think of the shot - do you see it as "salacious" as the suit claims, or agree with Mr Parry that it's only being interpreted as such by those complaining?
"I believe this is a very subjective question. I have been working in the fashion industry since 1999 and images such as these are common. I've had a chance to review a large body of this model's work and I do not think that the images by Parry differ from over two-dozen other photographs of her in bikinis, tube tops, Lolita glasses or hot pants."

What do you plan to do with the T-shirts now - are they still available anywhere?
"The T-shirt in question of the model on the motorcycle has been pulled from all our stores and is being held in our warehouse. From our understanding no more than 500 of these shirts were actually sold to customers before their return to us."

What do you hope will happen now?
"I hope this process can move as smoothly as possible. I believe that eventually the real matter regarding these images will be brought to light which is that Parry had failed to obtain a model release from the model and her parents. Blood is the New Black has always relied on our family of artists for transparency regarding the rights to their work. We have addressed this issue internally to ensure such an egregious oversight never occurs again."

Updated Monday August 22, 8.14am:
Model Hailey Clauson is suing a photographer for allowing a "blatantly salacious" photograph he took of her appear on T-shirts by Blood Is The New Black, sold at Urban Outfitters, without her permission. The image, taken when Clauson was just 15, shows her sitting on the back of a motorcycle in leather hotpants and makes "her crotch area the focal point of the image," the lawsuit filed in Manhattan claims.
The photographer, Jason Lee Parry, said the girl's parents were present at the shoot and gave permission, but agreed not to publish the picture of Clauson - now 16 - following complaints from her agent. The controversial image is still available on Parry's website, however, and has since been picked up by blogs before running on the Urban Outifitters T-shirt.
"We are outraged that a photographer would sell photos of an underage model without a signed release form," a spokesperson for Clauson's agent Next Models told us this morning. "At Next Model Management we are very vigilant to protect all our talent with the correct agreements and releases in place before any shoots take place.To clarify, the shoot in question took place when Hailey was represented by Ford, and not since she has been with us here at Next Model Management.We are working with Hailey and her parents and legal team to help them to resolve this matter as soon as possible."
Hailey Clauson was also the model at the centre of a scandal involving Diane von Furstenberg in February of this year. Von Furstenberg used Clauson on her autumn/winter 2011-12 catwalk without realising she was underage at the time. She later issued an apology for the oversight.
vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

It will be a shame if Hailey's career ends like this she seems like a great girl and is very good in print for someone so young. Quote from Bamhutt

I'm not sure but I don't think that anyone in this thread has mentioned anything about blaming Hailey.....She was just doing what any start struck kid is going to do.....listen to her agent who is feeding her parents a line about how much such and such move is going to further their daughter's career.

Then you get all wrapped up in the whole fairy tale fashion scene and things start to happen in a big way for you. ( note* this happens to very FEW new models)....then out of the past comes some pics that were shot of you on your way up and all of a sudden your parents are up in arms over the fact that someone is exploiting their daughter and making a profit from them.

Yes...it seems what went down was illegal....but in no way should the blame fall aywhere near Hailey.

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

"At Next Model Management we are very vigilant to protect all our talent with the correct agreements and releases in place before any shoots take place.

and I beg to differ with that statement....

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I know that's not really in relation to the rest of your post but I just wanted to comment on this. Why do people think it's ok to take shots like that of her just because she had done a few sexy shoots already? She was barely 15 (her birthday is in March) when those pictures were taken, there's a reason there are laws to protect children from that because they're NOT responsible for themselve in such cases. How can a 14 year old judge what intentions a photographer or client has when putting her in raunchy outfits and making her pose like this and how it will affect her later on? All other points aside I don't see why everyone's blaming Hailey for the over-sexualized image created around her when she was just a kid at the time.
I don't think it's as much people blaming Hailey, as it is people blaming her parents. First, Hailey is not someone from a third-world country trying to make it without speaking English or not having her parents around. I would assume Hailey has her parents/guardian with her most of the times who I would expect are capable of understand what the idea/theme for a photoshoot is. If parents are not with her during photoshoots, then it's their first screw up, they should be.

Secondly, the parents didn't seem to have a problem with this picture (or similar pictures) before the pictures became items for sale. Now that the money's involved, it's suddenly a "salacious" picture. I personally do think it's a salacious picture. Hailey's parents were wrong in letting Hailey participate in the shoot and allowing for such pictures to exist. I also think it's in bad taste for UO to use such pictures to sell products (if they knew she was the age she is).

Finally, the parents look a bit fishy to me because not only do they sue for way too much, but they also look two-faced for allowing their daughter to take such a photograph and then crying wolf when the picture is being used by someone. I would think a more rational approach would be to sue for unauthorized use of her image not for the fact that it may be "salacious."

Last edited by MyNameIs; 24-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.
24-08-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionStalking View Post
Hailey Clauson has been participating in "racy" shoots since the beginning of her career. There have been countless so-called "sexy" pictures taken of her, why are her parents choosing to sue over this one?

And I highly doubt she didn't know what she was doing
I fully agree. Spread legs on a motorcycle ARE suggestive (clothed or not). Well, "Lolita sex appeal" sells (remember that terrible russian "band" Tatu?) and Hailey builds a carrer on that.

The industry agrees to have 15-year-old earn hundredthousands of dollars, fly around the world, drink alcohol backstage, take half-naked pictures etc - all that requires maturity to take responsibility for your actions. That`s why I find it hard to let her get away with "she is just an innocent teenager and didn`t know what she was doing".

Don`t step in front of a camera if you`re too young to know what you`re doing!

24-08-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
I fully agree. Spread legs on a motorcycle ARE suggestive (clothed or not). Well, "Lolita sex appeal" sells (remember that terrible russian "band" Tatu?) and Hailey builds a carrer on that.

The industry agrees to have 15-year-old earn hundredthousands of dollars, fly around the world, drink alcohol backstage, take half-naked pictures etc - all that requires maturity to take responsibility for your actions. That`s why I find it hard to let her get away with "she is just an innocent teenager and didn`t know what she was doing".

Don`t step in front of a camera if you`re too young to know what you`re doing!
I don't necessarily think it matters if she's innocent or not, mature or immature. The bottom line is that she was 15. She could have been completely aware of her own sexuality and known exactly what she was doing, but it's never okay for an adult to exploit that, whether it's in the name of fashion or money or whatever.

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

^^^^^^and your post pretty well sums up this whole mess.....great reply.

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom View Post
It will be a shame if Hailey's career ends like this she seems like a great girl and is very good in print for someone so young. Quote from Bamhutt

I'm not sure but I don't think that anyone in this thread has mentioned anything about blaming Hailey.....
Yes...it seems what went down was illegal....but in no way should the blame fall aywhere near Hailey.
If you're replying to me... I never said the blame falls on Hailey. I was just stating it's a shame her career will probably go down hill as this issue has generated so much media attention (see karmen kass' post) and the industry will probably move on from her very quickly I don't think it's Hailey's fault at all...

24-08-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine04 View Post
...but it's never okay for an adult to exploit that, whether it's in the name of fashion or money or whatever.
It`s easy to blame the photographer but it`s not just him - it is the person who bought the rights of the pictures, the many people at Urban Outfitters who approved of the shirt AND THOSE WHO BOUGHT IT!

That makes quite a scary line of "exploitation"!

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamhutt View Post
If you're replying to me... I never said the blame falls on Hailey. I was just stating it's a shame her career will probably go down hill as this issue has generated so much media attention (see karmen kass' post) and the industry will probably move on from her very quickly I don't think it's Hailey's fault at all...

No....I knew what you were saying. I'm sorry if my reply sounded like a negative response to yours.

24-08-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
It`s easy to blame the photographer but it`s not just him - it is the person who bought the rights of the pictures, the many people at Urban Outfitters who approved of the shirt AND THOSE WHO BOUGHT IT!

That makes quite a scary line of "exploitation"!
You're right, it's not just the photographer, but her parents, her agency, etc. The People who were aware of Hailey's age and yet still allowed/encouraged the production of these pictures are the ones who should definitely share most of the blame here.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clauson, hailey, oufitters, parents, suing, urban