How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2013
backstage pass

Even though I'm happy for them, I also think it's a little bit egoistic to have a kid at that age. People do live longer but having a baby that late is a bit dangerous for the kid. But maybe they got knoked up as Halle said her pregnancy was a big surprise.
I wish her all the best!

18-04-2013
.my prison is your brain.

Quite the double standard, we hear news of 46 year old men having kids all the time, and I've never once heard them criticized.

18-04-2013
V.I.P.

I think it's pretty awesome that Halle is healthy enough to birth her own child at 46. She obviously takes care of herself, so if a woman over 35 is gonna get pregnant then it's best that they are in good health like Halle. She's not too old to become a mom again. It's not like she's 60.

The only problem with it is that women who get pregnant over the age of 35 have an increased risk of having a child with Down syndrome and other mental/physical disorders. They are also at risk for complications such as premature labor, spontaneous abortion, preeclampsia, eclampsia, and other health issues. However, Halle has the money to make sure she gets the right prenatal care and like I said, she's in good shape, so her body is probably in better shape for a baby than some women in their 20s.

18-04-2013
rising star

Having a child at any age is hard. I do side eye men who have children when they are 70 year old.

This was an interesting read http://www.slate.com/articles/double..._children.html

19-04-2013
trendsetter

^ Very good article, thank you!

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
22-04-2013
less is more

I can't believe people actually think 46 is too old to be a parent. I think they've been too brainwashed by fashion's obsession with youth, that they think that anyone over 30 is ancient.

Yes, it may be true that there are increased risks for older mother in terms of delivering a healthy baby, but that is her choice, and she the has perfect right to make it. Who are you to say someone shouldn't have a child because it may not be a perfect specimen of baby. Is a less than perfect child less worthy of love or being born? I don't think anyone should suggest they can make that decision for a parent.

If I wanted to play devil's advocate, I could argue that it is irresponsible for anyone under 30 to have children, because they are often more selfish, willful, less financially secure and able to provide for their child and their relationships are less likely to be stable.

Best wishes to Halle. Let's just hope she and Olivier settle down nicely (though I am a little worried, given her past history of going for douchebag types).

22-04-2013
V.I.P.

i think if she wants to have a baby with the man she is in love with then good for her. If her doctors didnt think she was able to do i dont think she would have. Let her live her life and be happy. a child is a blessing

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
berry, engaged, expecting, halle, martinez, olivier, update