How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-11-2007
V.I.P.

are dolphins endangered species?

... the blowhole comment had me dying on the floor

11-11-2007
windowshopping

yeah they are i think

11-11-2007
fashion icon

I got this from a website:

"Though some deliberate hunting of dolphins exists, the greatest direct threat to dolphins is accidental drowning in gill nets. Of equal importance are the indirect threats to their food supply, including overfishing, deforesting of the river-edge, agricultural polluting, paper milling and mining, and hydroelectric dam building. Hydroelectric dams reduce the number of fish species and isolate populations of dolphins." http://swbg-adventurecamps.com/infob...ered/esVI.html

Although they are talking about Amazon dolphins specifically, I'm guessing the same thing applies to dolphins in general. To help out the dolphins, people should really focus on the other aspects of why they are endangered.

11-11-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptowngal View Post
I got this from a website:

"Though some deliberate hunting of dolphins exists, the greatest direct threat to dolphins is accidental drowning in gill nets. Of equal importance are the indirect threats to their food supply, including overfishing, deforesting of the river-edge, agricultural polluting, paper milling and mining, and hydroelectric dam building. Hydroelectric dams reduce the number of fish species and isolate populations of dolphins." http://swbg-adventurecamps.com/infob...ered/esVI.html

Although they are talking about Amazon dolphins specifically, I'm guessing the same thing applies to dolphins in general. To help out the dolphins, people should really focus on the other aspects of why they are endangered.
very well said! many people dont realize the effects we have on species is not always from one 'big bad' thing we do, but a combination of them...karma

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
12-11-2007
V.I.P.

I think most of the big sea dolphins aren't endangered. And I am fairly certain that whatever they are hunting in Japan in the clip, isn't endangered.

12-11-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
You know what...sorry that you feel like that and that you don't understand where I'm coming from.....you know, I feel bad that you took my comment off context as well as so many others do in this thread.
I'm not sure how your comment can be taken out of context?

"nothing lives forever" is NOT a valid excuse for human beings murder other living things.

13-11-2007
fashion icon

^I don't think Zen meant to say that it's ok to kill animals because they'll die eventually in her original post. I think all this misunderstanding might have just been from the structure of her post in the way that she ordered her points. If she says she didn't mean it in that way, we should believe her. An online forum isn't the best place to have this discussion- people can interpret posts in ways the authors didn't intend. Let's not fight about this anymore.

Last edited by ptowngal; 13-11-2007 at 12:06 AM.
13-11-2007
fashion icon

^ Agreed.

16-11-2007
windowshopping

Honestly, if you are going to ban killing dolphins you should ban killing. Just because something is "cute" doesn't make it more worthy of life. Dolphins are actually ruthless creatures who rape and beat up other animals in the sea for no other reason than to be tough. They are like the gangs of sea. Yes, they are smart, they know how to "play nice" to get food from humans.

17-11-2007
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duver View Post
Dolphins are actually ruthless creatures who rape and beat up other animals in the sea for no other reason than to be tough. They are like the gangs of sea.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure there are aggressive pods, but dolphins don't scope out other sea creatures just to attack them. Most of their aggressiveness comes in the form of self-defense. The aggressive pods might just have been targeted by many predators and are therefore more aggressive and have different behavioral psychology. Most dolphins are generally friendly and helpful too.

Last edited by ptowngal; 17-11-2007 at 12:32 PM.
17-11-2007
windowshopping

It's not all self defense at all. Dolphin-perpetrated atrocities have been widely documented by scientists, such as gang rape, torture, kidnapping, porpoise holocausts, and adults grabbing adorable baby dolphins in their beaks and whacking them to death. It's been on discovery and other programs.

17-11-2007
fashion insider

^ I like how your last post came directly from http://www.believermag.com/nonbookre...al_dolphin.php

17-11-2007
windowshopping

What's with the attitude? I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. I'm simply just stating facts and feel that in general I just think it's silly to save a creature solely on the fact you think it's cute. Here's another link: http://myrandts.blogspot.com/2007/03/dolphin-sex.html
and if I can find the discovery one I'll post that too. The episode was on awhile ago. Anyway, I was just trying to give information that most people don't know about because you only hear how cute, nice, and smart dolphins are. I'm also not saying they are all evil, but they aren't all sweet either.

17-11-2007
fashion icon

^ Humans kill, rape, kidnap each other, does that mean it gives others the right to stereotype and kill which ever one they want?

17-11-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duver View Post
What's with the attitude? I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. I'm simply just stating facts and feel that in general I just think it's silly to save a creature solely on the fact you think it's cute. Here's another link: http://myrandts.blogspot.com/2007/03/dolphin-sex.html
and if I can find the discovery one I'll post that too. The episode was on awhile ago. Anyway, I was just trying to give information that most people don't know about because you only hear how cute, nice, and smart dolphins are. I'm also not saying they are all evil, but they aren't all sweet either.
It's not attitude, it's just unusual to see a member copy and paste their post from a site and pass it off as their own thoughts. Tis all.

Anyway, as most people here know, I'm a vegan so it's not a case of me 'just saving dolphins'. Quite a lot of other people in this thread are vegetarians too.

Some gorillas kill other gorilla species, same with monkeys, should we hunt them down and eat them too? It's really not unusual for dolphins to behave that way. The more intelligent a creature is, the more likely it is to indulge in random aggressiveness. I just find it particularly disgusting to eat a very intelligent animal. The same with octopus. Oh and I find monkeys so not cute, in fact rather repulsive. I really dislike crocodiles but the idea of crocodile factory farming makes me feel sick to my core.

Hey wait a minute, how did this all turn around. I was the one arguing in the first place that it's dumb to save one animal just because it's cute. That's still my stance.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dolphins, hayden, panettiere, save