How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon

And yes there is A LOT of ignorance about Sid Vicious. Let us not forget that the Sex Pistols, as fun as they are, were a MANUFACTURED BAND. No more no less. And the Libs are as far from that as you can possibly get.
That's what I mean about the Sex Pistols... they were not that talented - but they started a movement - deny it or not.
They are infamous.... And for the record I am not a sex pistols fan.... they are however, a band you think of with the beginnning of punk... the style, lifestyle etc - manufactured or not.

Over and out :p

10-06-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionFriendly
Heidi Slimane is a wise man afterall considering hes a crappy designer... Maybe he should just stick to writing.
ok... you've got your own taste and you don't have to like his work but calling Slimane a "crappy" designer is a completely unjustified statement. His clothes are desired by millions of young men, he is admired and respected in the industry. Karl Lagerfeld himself is a fan. I think all these things indicate that objectively he must be pretty good.

11-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes_like_chic
I was not necessarily positive, I was stating FACTS. Sid Vicious was almost a first... no one had seen performers like the Sex Pistols berfore... someone who couldn't exactly play an instrument but still captured the curiosity of many people.
The Sex Pistols started a movement - despite not being that great in the singing/songwriting (IMO) department....

I don't doubt Pete Doherty has some kind of talent (just by someone willing to call me ignorant because I am not inspired by him), but his problems over-ride that now.

Don't call me ignorant, just because I don't worship what Pete Doherty COULD HAVE been doesn't mean I am clueless.

Keep your insults to yourself.
the way you posted made it seem like you had no idea what you were talking about, because as sienna said pete doherty and the sex pistols, and in particular sid, cannot be compared but for one thing, starting a movement.

the punk movement was new back in the day, and the sex pistols are, arguably, the starters of this movement. but i think the libertines (together with the strokes) are also a great deal responsible for the recent guitar rock revival.

i am a fan of pete's music and how he was a true rock romantic yes, but i definetly don't worship him. as for the could have been, i should have said that differently. he, in my opinion, still is one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever, but i meant to say that it's a shame that he's not gonna put out much good music when he's in a the state he is in now. but i have no doubt that he's going to make a few great albums if he beats the drugs.

11-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
But then again I have NEVER heard anybody, tabloids or whomever, doubt that he is a brilliant brilliant songwriter. And it says a lot about your talent when even your most ardent critics avoid condemning it.

In response to Robbert, I am reaching the stage where if you offered me Dirty Pretty Things, Babyshambles, The Libertines and Yeti, I would pick Babyshambles. Shocking I know but in terms of the released material, the Libertines sound was more commercial than Babyshambles. The Shambles take what the Libertines did best and made it purer. If you add the bands up, you basically get the Libertines. Carl and Gary have the rock element, Yeti has that distinctive bass and Babyshambles... they sound like a bunch of eighteenth century troubadours, going from town to town and earning their crust (modern day version: drug money) with their talent honed on the streets of London. I have seen them live a few times and they (I say they, I mean him) have that spark still. A spark that Carl, much as I love him, doesn't. He looks tired and I worry about him more than I worry about Peter because as the one with the alcohol problem and the smashing-face-againt-sink problem -he is one with the depression. I just don't know...

Lets not pretend that Shambles is Peter's drug band. Yes it is his denial band but he was seriously off his face whilst making Up The Bracket and that is the dream we bought into.

And yes there is A LOT of ignorance about Sid Vicious. Let us not forget that the Sex Pistols, as fun as they are, were a MANUFACTURED BAND. No more no less. And the Libs are as far from that as you can possibly get.
i know what you mean, it's like when pete plays, and recently often sucks, you still have the feeling that some time during the gig he will do something brilliant, usually **** forever, which is already one of the best songs ever written.

for me if i had to pick one, i think i would pick dirty pretty things. i think have a lot of respect for carl and the way he never said a bad thing about pete and kept his dignity. i think waterloo to anywhere is a great album, he shows he's a good songwriter. i especially liked deadwood and you ****ing love it. but it's just a great rock 'n roll record.

11-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbertJan
the way you posted made it seem like you had no idea what you were talking about, because as sienna said pete doherty and the sex pistols, and in particular sid, cannot be compared but for one thing, starting a movement.

the punk movement was new back in the day, and the sex pistols are, arguably, the starters of this movement. but i think the libertines (together with the strokes) are also a great deal responsible for the recent guitar rock revival.

i am a fan of pete's music and how he was a true rock romantic yes, but i definetly don't worship him. as for the could have been, i should have said that differently. he, in my opinion, still is one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever, but i meant to say that it's a shame that he's not gonna put out much good music when he's in a the state he is in now. but i have no doubt that he's going to make a few great albums if he beats the drugs.
No harm meant
I am glad we are on the same wavelength now

front row

^ ok , me to

back on topic, has anyone read/seen the book ? i was thinking about buying it

11-06-2006
chaos reigns

^

Good ... this was slowly becoming into a heated (off-topic) discussion ...

Hum ... never heard Pete Doherty's music ... I think he's too new to be compared to such ..let's say ... legends as he has been ... anyhow ... so far I trust on Hedi's taste ..so finally I'll look up his stuff just to be able to say something.

backstage pass

I quite like Hedi Slimane, he is very in touch with young people.
When Karl Lagerfield guest edited Australian Vogue a couple of years ago, Hedi came and did a photo shoot of some australian people - I really liked it.

Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
'Responsible' being the operative word...

Guitar rock

Last edited by PrinceOfCats; 11-06-2006 at 08:33 AM.
12-06-2006
front row

haha that's a matter of taste ^

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
doherty, hedi, outstanding, performer, poet, portrays, slimane