How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-12-2005
fashion insider

Hedi Slimane Portrays Doherty as Poet and Outstanding Performer
Dior Homme designer Hedi Slimane turns from designing to writing. The famous French menswear guru is to publish his new book in July.
Sliman, who claims he always wanted to be a journalist, is making his dream come true by appearing in the French left-leaning daily newspaper, Liberation on May 6, where he will act like a guest editor.
The designer, whose book London: Birth of a Cult, focuses on the current London's rock scene and its kings, hinted the newspaper pages will give insight into the upcoming tribute., reports WWD . Ex-Libertinesí frontman Ė Pete Doherty, the(ex?)boyfriend of British catwalk beauty Kate Moss, is shown as the leading character.
Slimane has spent more than a year tracking and documenting recent Babyshambles frontman Doherty and describes him as a poet and one of the most important performers of our time.
In July the book is set to be published by Karl Lagerfeld's 7L label.

source : http://www.fashiongates.com

i want that book !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artbook_1873_26439388.jpg (27.1 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by fugfashion; 10-12-2005 at 06:10 AM.

10-12-2005
front row

hedi slimane must have a crush on pete, because there is no other explaination for describing him as 'one of the most important performers of our time'

live8 anyone?

kate and pete look like brother and sister to me, their faces are so similar...

10-12-2005
Kriss

I wouldn't idolize Pete that much, but he is very talented. Sliman must be really into him, since Dior Homme has also been inspired by Pete.

11-12-2005
fashion insider

My god! I thought Hedi Slimane was a man of good taste!

11-12-2005
trendsetter

I saw the pics. He did a really good job.

Quote:
[IMG]../../ugala/forums/images/smilies/shock.gif[/IMG] My god! I thought Hedi Slimane was a man of good taste! [IMG]../../ugala/forums/images/smilies/sick.gif[/IMG]
It's not just about Pete but about London underground scene...the romantic youth ect... I can understand what he saw in Pete and how he inspired him... It's not tabloids Pete he likes ... but how Pete inspires his fans positively...the poetry ... the dream of Albion ect ...

11-12-2005
God Save McQueen

how can he be one of the most important preformers of our time, hes not even known outside of england/europe.

11-12-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade
how can he be one of the most important preformers of our time, hes not even known outside of england/europe.
I know he's a bit overrated , but I do love his style

11-12-2005
Cinematic Vision

I think Pete is talented but is undoubtedly a weak person. . .

11-12-2005
front row

I dont think Pete is a weak person...hes doing what he thinks is right and enjoying himself and that includes his drug habits as well as his music...And i do believe he is one of the most important performer and a poet...Heidi Slimane is a wise man afterall considering hes a crappy designer... Maybe he should just stick to writing.

11-12-2005
V.I.P.

No I agree he is a weak person but after he is done destroying himself, there will still be this extraordinary legacy of music behind. Just because he is not yet known internationally doesn't mean anything. They love exporting people long after they are through. Most people probably won't know who Edie Sedgewick is till the movie comes out ya know. And I am sorry but quoting one bad performance (Live 8) is redundant. Peter can be electric on stage even when he is falling apart.

Living through the Doherty frenzy feels like living through the Sex Pistols frenzy or the Beatles frenzy or the Britpop frenzy. It is combining rock, fashion, media, the mythology. Every ingredient in the 'make-music-history' recipe is in there. There is simply NO DOUBT that it is artistically and culturally important.

That said, I do agree with Copper that Hedi must have a crush on Peter. Who doesn't?

Last edited by ChrissyM; 26-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
12-12-2005
Cinematic Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionFriendly
I dont think Pete is a weak person...hes doing what he thinks is right and enjoying himself and that includes his drug habits as well as his music...And i do believe he is one of the most important performer and a poet...Heidi Slimane is a wise man afterall considering hes a crappy designer... Maybe he should just stick to writing.
Don't get me wrong, I like Pete

12-12-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

for example....who is pete dohetry? apart from the fact that I ve read abt him and Kate Moss going out from tfs, i know absolutely nothin abt him. Never heard any of his music....i wonder how that makes him one of the greatest of our time! bt then again never been a great fan of Mr. Slimane

12-12-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
No I agree he is a weak person but after he is done destroying himself, there will still be this extraordinary legacy of music behind. Just because he is not yet known internationally doesn't mean anything. They love exporting people long after they are through. Most people probably won't know who Edie Sedgewick is till the movie comes out ya know. And I am sorry but quoting one bad performance (Live 8) is redundant. Peter can be electric on stage even when he is falling apart.

Living through the Doherty frenzy feels like living through the Sex Pistols frenzy or the Beatles frenzy or the Britpop frenzy. It is combining rock, fashion, media, the mythology. Every ingredient in the 'make-music-history' recipe is in there. There is simply NO DOUBT that it is artistically and culturally important.

That said, I do agree with Copper that Hedi must have a crush on Peter. Who doesn't?
Oh god. Please do not compare this Pete Doherty circus with the Beatles or the Pistols. To do so you insult them. Doherty has been influential but i believe that the influence he has had on the fashion industry is due to his much publicised romance with the one and only Mossy. Without his relationship with Kate i think he would have been washed up some time ago. He is not an incredible performer. I have seen him with libs and BS and while the libs have a talented charm, BS is a circus whereby Doherty is simply the ringmaster. His performances are sloppy, drug induced and at times completely non existant. There is nothing clever about a band with a frontman who is so off his face on drugs that they do not turn up to gigs and therefore do not respect their fans. Doherty needs to realise that he needs to please his fan base of people who are actually into his music and lyrics, which are at times clever, at others rushed and lazy - rather than those that think that his smacked up arms and face are 'cute'.

Last edited by ChrissyM; 26-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
12-12-2005
fashion icon

Sounds interesting. Sure Slimane appears a bit too much obsessed with Doherty, but i think modern culture hasnt seen a figure like him for a while. Its fascinating to see how people react to him today, although he seems to have read the romantic rock'n'roll stereotype bible. Personally i find him refreshing in so many ways, and whilst his life may appear to be "wasting" away its his to live.

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyfantastica
Oh god. Please do not compare this Pete Doherty circus with the Beatles or the Pistols. To do so you insult them. Doherty has been influential but i believe that the influence he has had on the fashion industry is due to his much publicised romance with the one and only Mossy. Without his relationship with Kate i think he would have been washed up some time ago. He is not an incredible performer. I have seen him with libs and BS and while the libs have a talented charm, BS is a circus whereby Doherty is simply the ringmaster. His performances are sloppy, drug induced and at times completely non existant. There is nothing clever about a band with a frontman who is so off his face on drugs that they do not turn up to gigs and therefore do not respect their fans. Doherty needs to realise that he needs to please his fan base of people who are actually into his music and lyrics, which are at times clever, at others rushed and lazy - rather than those that think that his smacked up arms and face are 'cute'.
Hear hear!

Hedi should stick to designing and photographing hehe.

I don't see how this could possibly inspire a generation?

http://nw.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=76612

He gets publicity because he always kisses and tells about his relationship with Kate. She is so private, which makes him all the more interesting. Somewhat fame-whorish if you ask me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
doherty, hedi, outstanding, performer, poet, portrays, slimane