How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2006
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Janet blacklisted by MTV
Rumours are flying over the internet that despite a premiere of Janet's new video a week ago, MTV has yet to premiere it. Add onto that they recently did a poll on the 20 most influential female artistes and she was not on the list. Now people are petitioning MTV to play the song. Her fans are now callign it racism and sexism as Justin Timberlake's video is enjoying heavy rotation,Has anyone heard of this rumour?

www.tmz.com

Quote:
Fans of Janet Jackson are in a fury over the alleged lack of support MTV is showing their first Icon.
Many posts on Janet's official message board are complaining that MTV has yet to premiere or even announce a date of a debut for the singer's latest video "Call On Me," which was first played on BET last Wednesday. Fans have flooded the MTV.com message boards with tons of Janet support, but, according to these fans, many posts were deleted by a moderator for "obscene, vulgar, abusive or harassing comments."
There is much speculation over why Janet has been "blacklisted" from MTV airplay, but most fingers point to her 2004 Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction," which was co-produced by MTV, who was fined by the FCC for the mishap.
Calls to MTV were not immediately returned.

Last edited by Urban Stylin; 30-07-2006 at 09:15 AM.

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

^^I didnt heard about this rumor and its hard to belive since she was MTVs icon?
I have seen her new video and i am so dissapointed,the song is not good but they totally killed it with the video wich is ridicilous!So maybe thats why MTV dosent air it!

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

Racism?How can it be racism when she is the only one not being shown?

30-07-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluejen
Racism?How can it be racism when she is the only one not being shown?
Maybe because Justin Timberlake who shared the stage with her at the Superbowl and ripped off her top has not been blacklisted?

30-07-2006
backstage pass

Maybe she's not on MTV anymore because she sucks. like the rest of her family.

30-07-2006
backstage pass

Nope, I haven't heard about it until right now I've never really liked Janet, she creeps me out, just like her brother.

Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

Well that's one less subpar music video on MTV

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie
Maybe she's not on MTV anymore because she sucks. like the rest of her family.

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

That must be the ugliest belly button ring I've ever seen. No wonder MTV doesn't play the video if that picture has something to do with it..

30-07-2006
backstage pass

maybe they don't play it because teens aren't really all that interested in seeing women over forty wearing tacky midriff shirts...

30-07-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velouria
maybe they don't play it because teens aren't really all that interested in seeing women over forty wearing tacky midriff shirts...
AMEN to that! I couldn`t agree more!

Nobody wants to see Janet anymore with all the Beyonces and Rihannas out there! No racism or sexism involved here - Janet is just over and out.

30-07-2006
fashion insider

^ Exactly. I think MTV is trying to get the younger audience like 13 & 14 year-olds. Janet is old news, she's not as hot as she used to be. Justin, on the other hand, is still hot-- especially with the younger audiences.

Sidenote: I hate Justin Timberlake, but his new song is really awesome

tfs star

Janet's video not being played on MTV is total bull__. This has nothing to do with her age because last time I checked Madonna is 47 almost 48 and was rocking a leotard and managed to be in heavy rotation on MTV (including TRL the show that is mainly geared towards the teen demographic) - it seems as if MTV wants Janet to continue to pay for the Super Bowl fiasco despite her apology. What makes it worse and is the speculation of racism & whatnot is that Justin Timberlakes new song is being played and he if I am not mistaken was the one who ripped off the material of Janet's ensemble during SB. Not to mention they pretty much altogether banned her videos/songs from her last album Damita Jo.

Regardless of age, or whether or not people like the song/video (I can name plenty of songs/video's MTV plays that I view as garbage including the new Timberlake song/video) for MTV to take away the choice of 'us' the buying public to choose Yay or Nay as to what we might enjoy is ridiculous. Also for them to treat their 1st MTV Icon as if she wasn't anything but a flash in the pan artist says a lot about MTV.

Now is it racism? Hmm...I don't know but MTV's history is one that included them not playing any videos by black artists. Which occured until a ultimatum ensued by CBS saying that they wouldn't allow the network to play any videos by white artists unless they played Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video in 83'.

Is it sexism? Well that could also be the case. Especially when Vanessa Carlton's "White Houses" video was taken out of MTV's playlist due to its content of Vanessa describing the loss of her virginity, yet many Hip Hop songs that are more suggestive such as 50 Cent's Candy Shop remained in heavy rotation.

Whatever the case, this doesn't look good for MTV.

The Petition ~ http://www.petitiononline.com/JanMTV06/petition.html

Last edited by Libra Skye18; 30-07-2006 at 12:39 PM.
30-07-2006
windowshopping

Madonna sucks, too...but they still play her. Come to think of it, a whole lot of artists (young and old) played by MTV suck. They might as well include Janet.

30-07-2006
V.I.P.

What else is new with MTV. They're a bunch of hypocrites!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blacklisted, janet, mtv