How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
27-10-2011
  16
less is more
 
rox_yr_sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: australian in nepal
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post
....exactly and why is a divorce a blemish in her career
In my books, I wouldn't call it a blemish, but the article was written by the Daily Fail, a conservative, pro-'family' values newspaper. You should read some of the disgusting comments people left in reply to the article over on the daily mail website. Like "I hope the husband gets sole custody of the child, coz she is clearly unfit to be a mother and you wouldn't want to expose a child to that kind of immoral lifestyle". Makes me despair for humanity.

What surprises me is how quickly it all happened. It was all happy families in the Vogue UK September issue only a few months ago, when Jenna was showing off her grorgeous house which she put so much effort into decorating.

Also, total lol at the husband saying his career got held back because he played house husband. Most starving artists would fantasise about having to not worry about income while their partner brings home the bacon and provides them with a beautiful park slope home with their own studio to work at their art at their own leisurely pace. He sounds bitter, but I guess you would be. In the end, I think it's better to end the marriage and be honest than go around cheating.

__________________
[my tumblr][life is short art is long][news from nepal]
[tfs 50 book challenge][reading: the golden bowl by henry james][completed: 23]
  Reply With Quote
 
27-10-2011
  17
rising star
 
Jasmine04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: femme
Posts: 119
Unfortunately it seems that a few of the more conservative news outlets are trying to paint this in the worst light possible. Fox news has an article up essentially saying that she has been using J. crew as platform to push her "agenda" against masculinity onto children and that her divorce and rumored relationship with a woman are further proof of that. Not really surprising considering the source but still

  Reply With Quote
27-10-2011
  18
V.I.P.
 
Melancholybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greece
Gender: homme
Posts: 9,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Marcel View Post
Actually I think it's relevant because her whole branding and image is this uber "perfect life". J crew became a lifestyle brand because of her. So many bloggers want her life, fabulous career, beautiful family, great home, etc. J Crew's profile grew because of Jenna's appearances on Domino magazine, Martha Stewart, Oprah etc. and a lot of times she was talking about living in this ideal working mom world.
Thanks for clarifying I don't live in the US thus my ignorance on why her divorce is such an important matter.

__________________
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom
  Reply With Quote
27-10-2011
  19
tfs star
 
petit fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,847
Apparently it's Courtney Crangi

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/jenn...oA3qHtjL2vrQdO

  Reply With Quote
27-10-2011
  20
V.I.P.
 
MyNameIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Jenna Lyons is a huge fashion inspiration to me (as well as being a great business woman) - so I'm super surprised by this. but I would hardly call this a blemish on her career - since when is getting divorced a blemish? Would you say the same of a man who was CEO at Disney?

I really don't think she's pretended to have the 'perfect life' - any woman today who is very successful with a family will have a magazine profile done of her that makes it look like she has it all. J.Crew as a brand is not about wholesome, innocent perfect people and it's not a lifestyle brand. The ranges have been extended but J.Crew is strong because she made sure there were many different J. Crew women. those who want a basic tee or tank and are very classically American or those who want sequined skinny trousers for $700 and travel the world, those who do both, etc.

Good for her - and it would be EPIC if it was Melissa Webb. Super curious to know who it is. But good for her for doing what makes her happy.

I'll take the brownstone in Brooklyn though - it's gorg.
Funny how your post goes against what you demand in the same post. Your first statement suggests you think a woman with a divorce should be treated no differently than a man with a divorce. Fair enough. I'm on board with that. But then you go ahead and congratulate her on leaving her small child's father for someone else? Just a hunch here, but I bet you would not be congratulating a man if he were to leave his wife with a small child for someone else.

__________________
SNEJANA ONOPKA
  Reply With Quote
27-10-2011
  21
Meg
inspired contemplation
 
Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London by way of North America
Gender: femme
Posts: 17,064
Why would I have a problem if a man started up a same-sex relationship after he split from his current partner and had a young child? You are presuming my opinion, and therefore presuming I'm contradicting myself. The articles I read said that she moved on to this new relationship after she began divorce proceedings with her husband. I'm not condoning cheating - by a man or a woman. I don't believe that having a small child means people should stay in an unhappy marriage.

eta:
From Page Six:

Quote:
After the breakup, Jenna fell in love with Courtney, whom she had been friends with for some time. They’ve known each other for years through the fashion business.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/jenn...#ixzz1c0mWiHp7


Last edited by Meg; 27-10-2011 at 03:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
27-10-2011
  22
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Jenna Lyons is a huge fashion inspiration to me (as well as being a great business woman) - so I'm super surprised by this. but I would hardly call this a blemish on her career - since when is getting divorced a blemish? Would you say the same of a man who was CEO at Disney?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
Also, total lol at the husband saying his career got held back because he played house husband. Most starving artists would fantasise about having to not worry about income while their partner brings home the bacon and provides them with a beautiful park slope home with their own studio to work at their art at their own leisurely pace. He sounds bitter, but I guess you would be. In the end, I think it's better to end the marriage and be honest than go around cheating.
Many couples choose to have one parent stay at home (usually the woman) so their child isn't raised by strangers. When a woman chooses to be a housewife she will generally have hobbies, work for charities, or have some kind of home business that allows her to still tend to her child. Even being an artist. She might not be able to pursue her career as if she was a single non-parent but such is the family life she has chosen. When a man divorces a woman in that situation, and there's no prenup, women are usually screaming from the rooftops about the injustice of it all if she doesn't get her fair share (usually around half). Just because the woman was the breadwinner in this situation and the man was the househusband, doesn't mean there should be a different standard.

The only "blemish" would be if she was trying to screw her ex out of his share of their life together.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, fashion, husband, industry, jcrew, jenna, leaves, lyons, woman
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.