How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretokens View Post
actually i think they dish those things out to anyone in 'the arts' these days, just to promote france (or paris, really) as somewhere one goes to be arty and spend a lot of money and be seen doing it.
it's not like this will ever erase John Galliano from fashion.

25-08-2012
front row

Fashion world should make their own 'Oscars'

25-08-2012
fashion insider

Who needs a Legion of Honor to be as talented as Galliano? I'm sure Galliano is laughing his pants off about this as he is vacationing around the world. Whoever was responsible for this needs to get a reality check and maybe a life.

Last edited by GERGIN; 25-08-2012 at 09:01 AM.
25-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'm honestly not surprised. Galliano broke the law and this seems to be part of his punishment. His actions were horrible and illegal in the eye's of French law thus it makes sense that he would be stripped of any honorary titles. It is perhaps symbolic more then anything but still... I do think that it was the right thing to do. To be bestowed the Legion of Honour is an incredible thing and unfortunately Galliano did not live up to that title.
I agree. Being stripped of the legion of honour is a symbolic act but sends out the right message. People should despair of the fact that justice is not delivered as effectively as it has been in this case not that he's being treated harshly than other people have been.

25-08-2012
V.I.P.

This is just too much! John already apologized and admitted his mistakes

Stitch:the Hand

i'm sorry but i don't get the level of defense galliano is receiving. like he's above the punishment he's received. he's a fashion designer not the messiah. had this been somebody else,in another medium,would anybody be so quick to defend and say he "made his mistakes" or "he apologized" to justify his position in life? give me a break with that!

the bottom line is,he did something that was not only morally wrong but illegal in france. he has to pay for that. i don't have sympathy for the consequences he's getting at all.

25-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

^I agree with you, I think had he been knighted or gained an OBE in the UK, when his 'crime' happened in France and they took it away from him, that would of been unfair, but the Legion of Honor is a French title and I do really understand them taking it away from him, had he kept the title it would of been as if they were still associating themselves with him and almost condoning what he did, I do feel sorry for his situation because everyone deserves a second chance but he neglected his high status and the fact that not only adults but children idolized him (we were all teenagers who thought he was practically god for crying out loud), he neglected the fact that he was so influential.

I do think the longer he takes away from the industry the more likely it is he won't return.

trendsetter

All right, after all talent won't strippe him and what he did for the nation of France was great.

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i'm sorry but i don't get the level of defense galliano is receiving. like he's above the punishment he's received. he's a fashion designer not the messiah. had this been somebody else,in another medium,would anybody be so quick to defend and say he "made his mistakes" or "he apologized" to justify his position in life? give me a break with that!

the bottom line is,he did something that was not only morally wrong but illegal in france. he has to pay for that. i don't have sympathy for the consequences he's getting at all.
I think it all depends on what one considers a fair punishment for saying something considered offensive. Being fired from the couture house he is employed at seems fair. Having everything he's worked for taken away from him seems, to me at least, above and beyond considering that his crime, in the GRAND scheme of morally offensive/illegal things, doesn't rank all that high. Making a pariah out of him seems hugely disproportionate to what he did.

Then again I'm willing to take into account the fact that he is clearly an addict of some kind. While that doesn't excuse him from anything he's done under the influence of anything, it certainly makes me more sympathetic to the fact that, were he in his right mind, he almost certainly never would have said what he did.

And I would like to think that I would take this position with anybody. It just so happens that being one of the most famous -- and respected -- designers in the world puts him at a much higher point from which to fall. The average Joe doesn't have a namesake company which he can be removed from, he doesn't have a prestigious job to lose, he doesn't have an award bestowed by the government to be stripped of and he doesn't have the entire world watching while it happens, and the average Joe probably wouldn't be made an example of so quickly.

Last edited by Spike413; 25-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.
25-08-2012
trendsetter

Does it really matter? They give that award to a lot of people any ways so taking it back isn't much of a big deal, just take a look at the hoards of people the french "honor." They'll honor a bologna sandwich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pients_by_name

26-08-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
This is such a disgrace!

Galliano has apologized, received his conviction, paid his penalty, been to rehab AND lost his entire career.

How long will people keep on punishing him!?!

His artistic archievments and the ART he created over DECADES is immortal and can never be taken away by anything!!!

He HAS BEEN A GENIOUS FOR DECADES!!!! And people keep judging him over a 3-minute MISTAKE that he apologized for!?! THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!
Should crime really be justified by the level of talent/genius someone has? To me, it wasn't really a 3-minute mistake. Drunk or not, I really just don't think that any normal person would ever show support towards most unspeakable event in human history. Saying you love Hitler and telling Italian women they would be dead and gassed is just not excusable and in order for him to say things like this he obviously must believe them

26-08-2012
fashion icon

To me a crime is a crime no matter the amount of talent someone has. I'll admit that whenever I see any of Galliano's work which was done prior to this scandal it's tainted a bit- because I think about the awful things he said- but I try to remember that he's not the only one who worked on those collections so they aren't totally ruined for me. There were numerous people who worked on the collections at Dior (as evidenced after one of the shows where many of them came out onto the runway) so it's fair to think Galliano doesn't deserve all the credit. Perhaps this is a bit silly to some, but the way someone behaves does affect the way their work is viewed. Maybe some people can view the two as separate issues but as for me, I cannot. Just because someone is immensely talented does not excuse them from being a good human being. And of course Galliano has talent, I think most of us can agree on that, but at the same time, now that we know how he behaved outside of work it muddles things up. Clearly he has some issues he needs to work through (and I sincerely hope he is working though them) however it still does not excuse his actions. And thus since he not only made statements which were absolutely horrible but also illegal he must pay the price. And part of the price includes being stripped of his title.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamg View Post
Should crime really be justified by the level of talent/genius someone has? To me, it wasn't really a 3-minute mistake. Drunk or not, I really just don't think that any normal person would ever show support towards most unspeakable event in human history. Saying you love Hitler and telling Italian women they would be dead and gassed is just not excusable and in order for him to say things like this he obviously must believe them
are you seriously trying to link a drunken tirade to the Holocaust People act differently when they're under the influence of alcohol. That's not an excuse for what he did. But to accuse him of being a closeted racist whose drunken outburst speaks of his true character is absurd. Those actions under the influence certainly do not characterize any person in his normal state. And considering Galliano comes from Jewish lineage, that's even more absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
He has paid. Dearly. He got fired from Dior. He lost his role at the fashion house that bears his own name. He's been fined. This is just another act against him. You act like he got a clean get away and this was the only thing that's been done to him so far

26-08-2012
V.I.P.

omg it's never gonna end..

clever ain't wise

A lot of you talk like you've never been on a bender. You don't sleep for days, drink too much and black out....the next day you hear from others what you've said and it seems to make as much sense as what happens in a dream.

This is what "out of it" means, and that's obviously what Galliano did. Now, given that type of behavior, it's his responsibility to clean up if he wants to continue being a public figure.

This punishment is a bit untimely, but that's just beurocracy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
galliano, honour, john, legion, stripped