How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2012
fashion elite

Such Rubbish, John was drunk ,he learned his lesson.. buit i am glad that Dior will not discover that they won't get satisfaction because they have lost ..they won't win anything for punishing john because he is not hitler , they lost Dior vision..everything damn Bernard !

26-08-2012
tfs star

You know what? A lot of times people will say what they really feel when they're drunk because your inhibitions are lowered. Obviously, I don't know what was going on in Galliano's mind or what his actual opinions are, but come on people. What he said is not the usual asininity your average drunk spews. So the argument that he was drunk or high or under the influence is a bit iffy, IMO.

And this latest news is just to be expected. In the US our hate speech laws are obviously more lax than France's (I think it has to be determined that you intended or incite violence with your words), so I'm afraid my perspective is a bit skewed on this. I'm not surprised, but I don't quite understand stripping him of an honor for his contribution to fashion which is still significant separate from his being a possible racist d-bag.

26-08-2012
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
He has paid. Dearly. He got fired from Dior. He lost his role at the fashion house that bears his own name. He's been fined. This is just another act against him. You act like he got a clean get away and this was the only thing that's been done to him so far
oh poor victim galliano with his millions of dollars in the bank...just can't seem to catch a break for making truly offensive remarks. honestly that excuse as well as that "he was intoxicated" excuse is as tired as he was as a designer. how about those patrons he said these things directly to? or a generation of people he was speaking about. yeah. indefensible.

i'm just curious what these miracles were that galliano performed to receive so much support and so much backlash toward those that aren't.

26-08-2012
Mr. Zhivago

This thread is missing the inane argument that Galliano clearly didn't believe in the things he said because he is gay and gay people were persecuted by the Nazis as well.

26-08-2012
front row

I miss Dior with Galliano :'(

26-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i'm sorry but i don't get the level of defense galliano is receiving. like he's above the punishment he's received. he's a fashion designer not the messiah. had this been somebody else,in another medium,would anybody be so quick to defend and say he "made his mistakes" or "he apologized" to justify his position in life? give me a break with that!

the bottom line is,he did something that was not only morally wrong but illegal in france. he has to pay for that. i don't have sympathy for the consequences he's getting at all.
I don't get it either This thread makes me think that standards around here must be pretty low.

And I agree that just being drunk doesn't explain this. I've seen lots of people drunk and not one went into a rant about Hitler. There has to be more to this than that.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 26-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.
26-08-2012
V.I.P.

I think the main problem is that people don't make a difference between forgiving a person for what they've done on a personal level and making one suffer the legal consequences for their actions. And that both have nothing to do with how talented or famous someone is. On a personal level I could probably forgive someone for doing something as stupid as this but legally there is no way such actions can be ignored and it seems natural to me that they would strip him of a merit award after such a misstep. I agree that the timing is weird but what does it matter, really. I did feel sorry for Galliano when they fired him from his namesake label and replaced him with Gaytten () because that must have hurt to have the label that you have built up under your name taken away from you. And it was such a pointless move, too. They could have just shut down the label. But this is different, if you don't live up to being a member of the Order then you have no right to keep it. I don't see how this is disrespectful to him or his work in any way, it seems fair to me.

Last edited by Psylocke; 26-08-2012 at 03:37 PM.
26-08-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
oh poor victim galliano with his millions of dollars in the bank...just can't seem to catch a break for making truly offensive remarks. honestly that excuse as well as that "he was intoxicated" excuse is as tired as he was as a designer. how about those patrons he said these things directly to? or a generation of people he was speaking about. yeah. indefensible.

i'm just curious what these miracles were that galliano performed to receive so much support and so much backlash toward those that aren't.
You mean the ones who were recording the event and laughing about it? Yes I'm sure they're still absolutely torn up about it. How difficult it must be to be them. Because no other person has been on the receiving end of an insult and come through the ordeal unscathed.

Have none of us EVER said anything offensive to/about someone? Have none of us EVER made an offensive/politically incorrect joke about a person/group of people that, in most people's eyes, would be considered wrong to say aloud? Have none of us EVER taken the lowest blow possible to try and hurt or upset someone in a disagreement or argument?

Must just be me that's been less than a perfect human being.

26-08-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
This is such a disgrace!

Galliano has apologized, received his conviction, paid his penalty, been to rehab AND lost his entire career.

How long will people keep on punishing him!?!

His artistic archievments and the ART he created over DECADES is immortal and can never be taken away by anything!!!

He HAS BEEN A GENIOUS FOR DECADES!!!! And people keep judging him over a 3-minute MISTAKE that he apologized for!?! THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!

I agree 200% !! I feel that the world wants to focus on him while others keep doing atrocities or have done way worse! It's disgusting, he did paid for what he said. It's ridiculous.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
You mean the ones who were recording the event and laughing about it? Yes I'm sure they're still absolutely torn up about it. How difficult it must be to be them. Because no other person has been on the receiving end of an insult and come through the ordeal unscathed.

Have none of us EVER said anything offensive to/about someone? Have none of us EVER made an offensive/politically incorrect joke about a person/group of people that, in most people's eyes, would be considered wrong to say aloud? Have none of us EVER taken the lowest blow possible to try and hurt or upset someone in a disagreement or argument?

Must just be me that's been less than a perfect human being.
this! I completely agree

26-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm not exactly a spring chicken and although I've heard a lot of people make extremely offensive and abusive comments in all sorts of situations, but no one i that I have a modicum of respect for EVER resorted to racist insults even when blind drunk or was a weapon to upset someone in a discussion. It's totally wrong to try to normalise this behaviour. Actually this is one more reason why stripping of the Legion of Honour is a good thing, clearly there are still people under the impression that what he said can be excusable behaviour in exceptional circumstance. It is not.

26-08-2012
rising star

I really don't see the point in this, other than petty François Hollande trying to show whoever will listen that he doesn't tolerate racism. It's just another stab at his precedor, I think. There are so many more urgent and important mistakes/crimes/whatever you call it, that are left unpunished, and this is what people decide to focus on.

26-08-2012
barcode

^ Well frankly Les Sucettes, I think whether or not it's considered excusable behavior isn't for any one person or small group of people to decide, because unlike a crime like cold-blooded murder, there's no black or white, he's a saint/he's a monster conclusion to be reached in a situation like this. Some people clearly find what he said and did offensive, some people find it relatively minor considering the amount of punishment he's been dealt from all ends, some people are willing to look at the big picture and take into account all of the details, some people are stuck simply on what he said. I'm not saying I'm right, but I certainly don't think you are either.

Last edited by Spike413; 26-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.
26-08-2012
fashion icon

I have to say I really hate when people resort to the "he's of Jewish linage" as the main reason why he shouldn't be punished. Because, trust me, you can still be from a certain ethnic group and have self hate about it. Check out the film Everything is Illuminated and you'll see what I mean. Clearly anyone who experiences self hate like this has a lot of issues they need to work through. Also, from my understanding he was raised as a Roman Catholic, right (I know religion might be an iffy topic to bring up but I haven't gotten a clear answer from the internet search I did about this and I'm curious about it)? It's not like he was being brought up in a Jewish household. And even if he was it still wouldn't make what he said right. Like someone else said on this thread, when people are under the influence of alcohol/drugs they are less inhibited and might say what truly think. Maybe John Galliano is a very nice guy- I don't know- but what I do know is that what he said was caught on tape and it's very clear he said it. And that it's something which was deemed awful enough to be punishable by law. Just because someone is good, talented, or famous does not make it okay to let them bypass the laws or to not have to deal with a fallout like this.

backstage pass

Quote:
I can't with news like this, I really can't. There are actual criminals who suffer less severe punishments than Galliano's been dealt for what was, at it's core, not THAT monumental an offense as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that it took well over a year for the French government to come to this decision is pathetic. Why now? Why does one drunken rant that the world has largely gotten over negate all of the work he did that led him to be honored with the award in the first place?

I just doesn't seem right, and it hasn't from the beginning.
Amen to that

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
galliano, honour, john, legion, stripped