How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

And it's also been discussed whether that "justice" is necessarily justice or simply a political move. It comes a year after the incident. It's excessive punishment, which is what people such as myself and anyone who has the sensibility to forgive & forget someone who has already publicly apologized and paid for his action, have been arguing against those who simply look at every single punishment that comes his way as merely a response to his action and seemingly disregard the fact that man has practically had everything taken away from him already.

His dismissal from Dior was appropriate, it is a hallowed label after all. His dismissal from his own label was excessive, and anything else after that, IMO, is excessive. That's the point I'm making. He's paid for his crime. Other people like you are saying it's a matter of crime and punishment. And exactly at what point does the punishment end for Galliano?

06-09-2012
fashion insider

Getting his Legion of Honour stripped so long after the scandal occurred is a bit strange but Sarcozy should have been done it as soon as it happened and I suppose the new President felt as though he didn't deserve to have it unlike Sarcozy who did. There is a difference in opinion there like many in this thread.

Galliano is talented and still has friends in the industry so he will come back and I think the imposed break will do him a lot of good. However I do think his punishments have been just as he broke the law.
Posted via Mobile Device

06-09-2012
Power to the 99%

I would imagine Carla is directly or indirectly responsible for this action not having been taken during the Sarkozy administration. Given that Galliano dressed her, they may have felt that it could wait.

06-09-2012
fashion insider

I thought the same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 06-09-2012 at 08:19 AM.

06-09-2012
tfs star

Just following up on the Chanel point, as someone else already mentioned, there was no Facebook or Youtube in Chanel's time; thus it's easier to put her less commendable qualities out of sight and out of mind. Galliano had the misfortune of being recorded. And the internet is forever.

06-09-2012
fashion insider

^Very true. Chanel left France after the war for a while (I think to England?). It was as simple as that. Galliano can't disappear and be forgotten quite as easily because the Internet is everywhere.

Power to the 99%

^ I don't think he's trying to disappear though ... otherwise why all the lunches with Anna?

06-09-2012
fashion insider

^Well, disappearing isn't really the best option in the modern day. Things are different now. Chanel had the option of disappearing and setting up shop again as though nothing had happened. Galliano doesn't even have control over his own brand anymore.

fashion insider

Also with Chanel, I assume most people didn't know about it until after she died or later in her career when she was somewhat untouchable. And like many have said she could actually hide out as the media didn't have eyes everywhere then.
Posted via Mobile Device

09-09-2012
V.I.P.

I wouldn't assume that. After the war, Chanel was arrested,... and then released. What went behind closed doors we will never know, but I think it was public knowledge that she had connection with Nazi officers. I think it was more your latter part, which was the non-existent media that we have today that would've spread her story to a much wider audience, something that Galliano does not have the fortune of having.

10-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ He also has the advantage of a more global marketplace than she did ... I guess everything comes with a price.

My understanding is that Chanel never recovered her reputation in certain circles. I suspect that her not having been prosecuted had something to do with the fact that she wasn't ruined by her many wartime activities, but I gather it was just too dangerous to put her on the stand.

I also found it interesting to read that she made a claim as an Aryan during the war as part of her long running attempt to take control of Parfums Chanel (which had been financed by a Jewish family perfume company). She used Nazi law to renegotiate her contract and become one of the richest women in the world at the time, after she was awarded wartime profits from Chanel No 5.

In her claim she said that "Parfums Chanel" "is still the property of Jews" and had been legally "abandoned" by the owners. "I have, an indisputable right of priority ...the profits that I have received from my creations since the foundation of this business ...are disproportionate ...[and] you can help to repair in part the prejudices I have suffered in the course of these seventeen years."

11-09-2012
trendsetter

...but i can never strip him from my heart.

tfs star

I also agree in part with the point tigerrouge made. But it seems that a legion of honour awards honorable actions that support the highest aims of a nation, and galliano's behavior was disgraceful not only to him personally but also to the award itself. Ideally we'd all have no nasty side, but galliano's outbursts seem to have been so publicly expressed as to dishonor the trust the nation put in him as the recipient of such a high honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
So I imagine that a good number of those other people awarded the Legion d'Honneur... it's not that they never had addictions or outbursts or prejudiced mentalities, it's that they were never caught at their low points, or when they were truly speaking their minds.

Last edited by emma peel; 11-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.
14-09-2012
V.I.P.

I think it's right to took back his LdH award if he's a criminal (...) but the timing just seems to be another kicka**. Maybe it's only the slow bureaucracy, maybe not, but it's strange.

For those who can't get why he still have fans / why ppl keep defending him: it's because the process he went through i think. I mean he had problems, it was clearer than the sun. It's not just a fiction he found out to defend himself, just take a look at his runway pictures from 2009-2010 (maybe im not right about the date) to get a proof. He looked terrible in those days, so it's not surprising he had mental issues as well.

So if there's an ill man who made harsh and bad comments (let's not count the other circumstances), do you think it's totally right to kick him more? John Galliano as a designer has lost everything he has worked for, but there's no need to stigmatize John Galliano the person behind the case. He needed help. Period.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
That was the right decision and I'm glad it has been taken.

I'll never stop being baffled by those who will never stop excusing him just because they liked his work. It's just beyond me. Do people not understand what his words meant? Did some skip History classes to fail to understand the impact of his hateful speech?

I won't go through that again but I, for one, do not believe in the "but he was intoxicated" excuse. I've never heard anyone saying similar things when they were under the influence... Plus, don't people often say that drugs and alcohol tend to make you a bit more "honest" about your inner thoughts?

Anyway, what's been said has been said and he has been punished. I will never forgive him for saying those things but I do hope he can rebound in a couple of years. What I just do not want to hear is all those people who keep acting as if what he said wasn't very serious and that we should quickly move on.
Come on now. Stop being so over-dramatic.

He got punished (more than his actions warranted in fact). It's in the past. People need to get over it. But this continuous anti-Galiano crusade is actually getting old.

Last edited by moobear; 15-09-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
galliano, honour, john, legion, stripped