How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-08-2012
trendsetter

John Galliano Is Stripped Of Legion Of Honour
Quote:
John Galliano Stripped Of Legion Of Honor

John Galliano, decorated as a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor at the Élysée Palace in 2010, has been stripped of the merit award. France’s official journal recently published the revocation, by decree of the President François Hollande in light of Galliano’s conviction last year for uttering racist and anti-Semitic insults.

Dior’s acclaimed couturier was swiftly ousted from the French firm, and his signature fashion house, in the wake of the drunken outbursts at a Paris café.Testifying in court last year, Galliano blamed work-related stress and multiple addictions for his behavior. The designer has kept a low profile since, focusing on his rehabilitation.
wwd.com

24-08-2012
V.I.P.

John Galliano Is Stripped Of Legion Of Honour

Quote:
JOHN GALLIANO has been stripped of his Legion of Honour award. The withdrawal order was passed by decree of French president Francois Hollande, as a result of the designer's conviction last year.
Galliano was made a Chevalier of the Legion of Honour - the highest accolade available in the order - at the Élysée Palace in 2010 for his services to the fashion industry.
The British-born designer was dismissed from his position as creative director of Christian Dior last year after being found guilty of making racist and anti-Semitic comments.
vogue.co.uk

Last edited by Nepenthes; 24-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.
24-08-2012
fashion insider

This is such a disgrace!

Galliano has apologized, received his conviction, paid his penalty, been to rehab AND lost his entire career.

How long will people keep on punishing him!?!

His artistic archievments and the ART he created over DECADES is immortal and can never be taken away by anything!!!

He HAS BEEN A GENIOUS FOR DECADES!!!! And people keep judging him over a 3-minute MISTAKE that he apologized for!?! THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!

24-08-2012
Wanderlust

Wow. He was already stabbed and the knife turned a bit, but now they are kicking him.

24-08-2012
fashion elite

Man, way to kick him when he's down. This was pretty inevitable though.

barcode

I can't with news like this, I really can't. There are actual criminals who suffer less severe punishments than Galliano's been dealt for what was, at it's core, not THAT monumental an offense as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that it took well over a year for the French government to come to this decision is pathetic. Why now? Why does one drunken rant that the world has largely gotten over negate all of the work he did that led him to be honored with the award in the first place?

I just doesn't seem right, and it hasn't from the beginning.

24-08-2012
fashion elite

Yeah, this is really mean. I'm not condoning what he did, but dayum. I hope he finds work soon.

24-08-2012
V.I.P.

Well it does look mean but he broke the law and has to face the consequences of that (such as being dismissed from an order established by a system whose laws you're clearly unable to assimilate). It does seem late and unnecessary now but I assume the whole procedure was the result of bureaucracy since Hollande is passing it until now. Must hurt but he probably knew this was on the way.

Last edited by MulletProof; 24-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.
24-08-2012
backstage pass

It's just another little game of the new useless president. Don't worry .

V.I.P.

wait so what does this entail? can he no longer make couture? This is really f-ed up imo. He isn't even designing anymore and they do this? They act as if he killed small children

24-08-2012
Stitch:the Hand

surely some of you can't be that surprised or offended by this? simply put,this is an honour bestowed under the very same french law,of which he was convicted. it would be too much of a hypocrisy to have somebody convicted for what he did and still hold such a title in france. and i agree mullet,although you would think this would have been decided upon his conviction,i'm sure there was a process....never mind the distractions with presidential elections.

24-08-2012
rising star

the amount of french people the authorities look the other way for, including so many in power at the time, over actual connections with the nazis, makes this pretty effing hypocritical. i suppose coco chanel is forgiven since chanel was bought out by jews.
also, why didnt they do this at the time? is it because he was actually invited back to dior but turned it down?

24-08-2012
fashion icon

I'm honestly not surprised. Galliano broke the law and this seems to be part of his punishment. His actions were horrible and illegal in the eye's of French law thus it makes sense that he would be stripped of any honorary titles. It is perhaps symbolic more then anything but still... I do think that it was the right thing to do. To be bestowed the Legion of Honour is an incredible thing and unfortunately Galliano did not live up to that title.

rising star

actually i think they dish those things out to anyone in 'the arts' these days, just to promote france (or paris, really) as somewhere one goes to be arty and spend a lot of money and be seen doing it.

24-08-2012
V.I.P.

WTF! Yuck! This is emetic and stupid.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
galliano, honour, john, legion, stripped