How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-07-2007
trendsetter

ITA misssakura!

01-07-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricladyland View Post
I totally get the value of BOTH simple melodies and complex polyrhythmic improvised riffs. Do you?
An improvised vocal riff in my opinion should be just that - a riff. I never said that they don't have merit but in my opinion they're becoming too integrated into entire song structures.

I do think the majority of the time it's either due to
a) Lack of musical knowledge
b) Fear that the public/peers won't recognise their natural talent if they don't show off the bling.

I think if Lauryn Hill sang simply for 90% of the time her voice would be even more divine. It forces one to think about the actual meaning behind the song instead of relying on tricks.

p.s. polyrhythmic just implies that varying rhythms are used. I don't even think poly can be implied even if tonal because any 'melody' is polytonal. I'm not sure what the correct definition for vocal bebop is.

p.p.s this probably comes across as being more snotty than intended

Last edited by misssakura; 01-07-2007 at 05:03 AM.
01-07-2007
V.I.P.

Her problems have nothing to do with vocals, it's mental.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen View Post
Her problems have nothing to do with vocals, it's mental.
Mmmhmmm....PREACH!

01-07-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
I believe, is too obvious and almost designed to hide her lack of understanding of music, and also for the large portion of her audience who have no understanding of music.
That would just include the whole Grammy Award jury panel, 90% of the established music critics who nearly unanimously lauded her effort for The Miseducation... and the millions of fools such as myself who bough her album(s).
But thank god you are there to educate us all.

PS: please read the last sentence as mild sarcasm, not a full blow attack. I am just having fun.

01-07-2007
fashion insider

Of course I knew you were joking, you mentioned the grammies.

02-07-2007
fashion elite

^you lost me there.

02-07-2007
101st monkey airborne

From what I've read, I think she could've gotten away with a crappy, badly-mixed performance, but not the 2 1/2 hours late thing. I thought the Unplugged album was beautiful, especially "Rebel". I just don't want to believe Lauryn Hill is the one with the problem, though it likely is true. I hope she irons out whatever the difficulty is and comes through this one alright.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post

Sorry a bit long winded but it always bugs me when I have to explain the difference between expression and vocal gymnastics.
You didn't have to explain it. I know the difference. I'm not really trying to engage in a pissing contest with you, but as an African American and a music lover I find it interesting that you are stating that your musical preference (which is subjective and personal) as qualitatively better than another style just because you prefer one style over the other. If it bugs you to have to explain it, then don't. I won't be at all offended if you hold back in that regard.

le rêve est réalité...

Last edited by electricladyland; 03-07-2007 at 01:48 AM.
03-07-2007
Rebaptising my badness

This woman is clearly nuts. When she came to Brazil last month she demanded she be interviewed by black reporters only. Of course the networks turned her down.

Why can't "artists" be like what they used to be some decades ago? Go back to the basics, forget all about pyrotechnics and care only about your own damn art, for God's sake. In the end of the day, it's all that really matters - this and the audience's respect. That's why I love rock and roll, futilities haven't got a chance when all you want to do is get your message across - unless you're into prog rock, but it shouldn't qualify as rock and roll (I'm sure Chuck Berry agrees with me there); however, that's another discussion altogether.

fashion elite

^I am not surprised at all. There are numerous anecdoctes relating her racism floating around. Truely sad.

03-07-2007
front row

Wow. =/

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricladyland View Post
You didn't have to explain it. I know the difference. I'm not really trying to engage in a pissing contest with you, but as an African American and a music lover I find it interesting that you are stating that your musical preference (which is subjective and personal) as qualitatively better than another style just because you prefer one style over the other. If it bugs you to have to explain it, then don't. I won't be at all offended if you hold back in that regard.
Yes for me it is better and I'm pretty sure it was clear that my post was subjective. I love Lauryn's voice and currently her 'music' is completely inaccessible to me, which is incredibly frustrating.

Anyway about the grammies thing, they're pretty much a joke. I don't know how I managed to convey the idea that I hate Miseducation though, I think it's a great album even if the rap gets on my nerves from time to time. I have far more beef with her live performances, which is relating to this topic. And in regard to musicality, it's something that can be gained and lost. Right now she's lost it, don't forget it's been 10 years since Miseducation. I'm sure she could get it back if she wasn't battling her personal demons.

It's funny how one of my favourite Lauryn Hill covers is "Can't take my eyes off you" which is her most hated recording and song she's done...

05-07-2007
101st monkey airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova View Post
This woman is clearly nuts. When she came to Brazil last month she demanded she be interviewed by black reporters only. Of course the networks turned her down.

Somehow I don't see this as racist. I can understand wanting to communicate with a member of one's race--as a college roommate used to say, "It's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand." Not that I didn't try to understand, and not that she didn't try to help me understand, mind you. But the ease of communication was just not there--there was no hate or judgment or "tone" involved at all. Sometimes you want to be understood and not have to explain everything about yourself.

If Lauryn Hill's experience in being interviewed by white people is that she's been misunderstood and co-opted, well, send her a sister or brother who'll do the job right. It shouldn't be so overblown and seen as racist. It's a simple request. Sort of like Angelina Jolie not wanting to talk to FOX News. It's her prerogative, really.

Personally, I've found I have more in common with people of all races who grew up poor like I did, and in roughly the same geographical area. Like, I have more in common with Lauryn Hill than I do with Blonde Buffy from Beverly Hills. Now, if Lauryn can't see that and Buffy can't, either, I don't expect any apologies. Because I know who loves me, baby.

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdrama View Post
Somehow I don't see this as racist. I can understand wanting to communicate with a member of one's race--as a college roommate used to say, "It's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand." Not that I didn't try to understand, and not that she didn't try to help me understand, mind you. But the ease of communication was just not there--there was no hate or judgment or "tone" involved at all. Sometimes you want to be understood and not have to explain everything about yourself.
This makes absolutely no sense in a country like Brazil. And it is a racist attitude in my opinion. Wouldn't a white celebrity be taken as a nazi if he/she demanded to be interviewed by white reporters only? Isn't it kind of a double standard?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bombs, hill, lauryn, oakland, paramount