How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-06-2012
windowshopping

Here's Leo and Erin out for lunch (without his Mom). Oddly enough the pics were taken by WENN which is known for being called by publicists...just saying.

http://www.popsugar.com/Leonardo-DiC...524864?slide=0

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAUU View Post
^ I don't doubt that Erin was an intelligent student, but that's not the same as being a well-rounded individual. In my opinion people become wiser and more intelligent as they get older, but Leo dates like, 20-year olds who don't know anything about life yet. It's like he purposefully goes for the naive girls and a part of me thinks it's because those are the only ones who would take his crap.
I agree. No matter how intelligent a 23 year old is, she does not have the life experience to always make wise choices. And thus there is, in my opinion, a certain amount of naiveté involved here. No doubt Leo has some issues related to his inability to seriously commit (serial monogamy - if he's even monogamous - does not suggest serious commitment imo because the future is never planned, only the now). Perhaps there are Freudian issues with his mom, who knows? But definitely, he targets young, blonde women. When has he dated someone his own age? Gisele seemed closest and even she was approx 6 years younger.

Interestingly, they are getting younger!
Present ages: Leo = 37
Gisele = 31
Bar = 27
Blake = 24
Erin = 23!

What's next? A teenager?

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

13-06-2012
rising star

Women who go for younger men are also regarded as dating them to feel younger or just taking them as toy boys...I guess the prejudice wouldn't exist if the relationships lasted longer than a season or two.

14-06-2012
trendsetter

Let's just hope it's not Toni Garrn next. She fits his 'type' to the tee, and she'd be by far his prettiest girlfriend of all.

14-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larek View Post
sorry if I sound like a troublemaker but why do people have so much problem with age difference?
If a man who like younger women date a women who like older guy, where is the problem? they match no?
I agree! Why is the guy always the big bad wolf and the innocent young maiden the poor victim? Shall we start on Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones and their loving, supportive marriage through thick and thin and their beautiful family too??

14-06-2012
trendsetter

^It's not that he likes younger women - let's be honest, most people would like to have younger, more good looking partners ideally - but it's his absolute inability to form relationships with whom people perceive to be women of substance. It just makes him appear lazy, immature, shallow and someone who really doesn't want to steer away from his comfort zone, as it were, and face a challenge.

I doubt people would be nearly anywhere as judgemental if he were going out with younger women who appear to be more than just a pretty face.

14-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ I think that the key word in your post is "perceive." Other than the fact that he chose such a high profile vocation, it is not Leonardo DiCaprio's fault that some of the people judging him are ill-informed.

Last edited by agee; 14-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.

14-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
Let's just hope it's not Toni Garrn next. She fits his 'type' to the tee, and she'd be by far his prettiest girlfriend of all.
And she's 19.

I agree with your other post too: Leo definitely appears to be a shallow guy with issues. I guess only those who know him personally know for sure, but unlike Michael Douglas, Leo's never married or had children. There doesn't seem to be any planning for a future or having a family.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 14-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.

14-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
^ I think that the key word in your post is "perceive." Other than the fact that he chose such a high profile vocation, it is not Leonardo DiCaprio's fault that some of the people judging him are ill-informed.
Ad one could argue that those jumping to his defence are every bit as ill-informed as those judging him, seeing as both factions are privy to the same details about his private life. So either we all refrain from judging altogether, or we accept that being a public personality, being judged - very often wrongly - sort of goes with the territory.

Speaking about people's perception... Nothing one has ever read or heard about Gisele, Bar, Blake, Erin, Paris Hilton, Carmen Cass etc betray deep profundity of thought or insight. Of course, people will perceive based on what little information is available to them. If the facts available to us ever changes, then I suppose opinions will change as well.

14-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
And she's 19.

I agree with your other post too: Leo definitely appears to be a shallow guy with issues. I guess only those who know him personally know for sure, but unlike Michael Douglas, Leo's never married or had children. There doesn't seem to be any planning for a future or having a family.
Maybe he doesn't want to have children on ethical grounds. I mean, the world's overpopulated, resources are finite and so forth, so maybe he's taking an ethical stance.

Then again, I'm cynical enough to believe that in an industry as publicity-centred as Hollywood, if he is indeed resolved to not to having children, I suppose it'd have been heard through the grapevine. Maybe he's just waiting to hit 40, or something like that. Besides, didn't he mention somewhere that he does want to get married and have children?

It's not that he doesn't appear to want to settle down than that his choice of partners betrays his shallowness. I mean, if not wanting to settle down if the reason why he persues 20 somethings, then he ought to know that there are older women who're committed not to settling down as well.

Last edited by pavonine; 14-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.

14-06-2012
backstage pass

^I think hes waiting to settle down until 40. He is super career driven, and I am pretty sure that has been, and will be his focus for a while. BUT he has said quite a few times, that marriage and kids are in his future So I'm thinking he might do the whole brad pitt, Robert Downey JR. thing, and start having kids later.

Also, I see no huge deal with the age difference. Many celebs have age gaps, and it doesn't mean that shes nieve or hes a pediphile.

Last edited by LoveKatFashion; 14-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.

14-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Ad one could argue that those jumping to his defence are every bit as ill-informed as those judging him, seeing as both factions are privy to the same details about his private life. So either we all refrain from judging altogether, or we accept that being a public personality, being judged - very often wrongly - sort of goes with the territory.
I have not seen too many people who defended Leo, or who are sanguine about his relationships not acknowledge that the guy has "a type," and likely has commitment issues, Peter Pan syndrome or whatnot, so I don't think that his "defenders" are blind to his issues and shortcomings, but it is more a matter of are his proclivities indicative or some grave character flaw on his part, or on the part of the women who date him, whereas I have seen a lot of the detraction expressed as:
Model = Stupid
VS / SI Model = Stupid
Young = Lacking in Substance
Tall and Blonde = Lacking in Substance

There are plenty, PLENTY of tall, young, beautiful blondes in New York and Los Angeles, and Leonardo DiCaprio is an A-List actor and one of the world's most eligible bachelors, so it is not hard for me to believe that, of all people, he cannot find in the vast pool that comprises his "type," a few who are substantive in some way.

Quote:
Speaking about people's perception... Nothing one has ever read or heard about Gisele, Bar, Blake, Erin, Paris Hilton, Carmen Cass etc betray deep profundity of thought or insight. Of course, people will perceive based on what little information is available to them. If the facts available to us ever changes, then I suppose opinions will change as well.
See that's where I think there is a disconnect because I think that there are facts out there that do allow someone look beyond the superficial, and that challenge certain views about certain vocations:

* Carmen Kass is an expert chess player and is active in politics in her home country.
* Gisele Bundchen is a model on paper, but she has consistently been one of the highest earners in entertainment and media because of her business concerns.
* I am not a Lagerfeld or Wintour fangirl, but it cannot be denied that they are two of the most influential and respected names in fashion, and Blake Lively has captured the attention of both of them.
* Bar and Erin are still in the early stages of their careers, but they have both been cited as being intelligent and substantive.
* Paris Hilton - you got me there, but then again did they really have a relationship?

BTW, beyond following fashion and pop culture in general, I don't follow Leo or any of these models / celebs extensively, so, other than the comment about Bar and Erin, this does not seem to be esoteric information.

Last edited by agee; 14-06-2012 at 04:13 PM.

14-06-2012
V.I.P.

^I agree with everything above but you should put Bar along with Paris..I followed her on twitter when she was with Leo and I swear I thought I'd die from second hand embarrassment..She always said the stupidest things and her english were so bad.

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

lol May be it is just way simpler then all those " I know how Leo feels, he is uncapable", etc. ( Do you know him in person ? No. Which means its all just subjective conclusions, not facts)

Whats so sick about that he may be just does not want to get married - yet or at all ? People are different. And everyone has the right to be happy as he is.

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

The marriage/kids comment I made in response to Boomer's point about Michael Douglas. Personally, I don't care if Leo has kids or gets married. There are definitely valid ethical reasons not to have kids, and long term relationships - common law, for e.g. - can be just as rewarding and stable as marriage.

One thing that's weird, to me, is that his girlfriends are getting younger and younger, and they all look VERY similar. That suggests to me that (a) he is kind of superficial in that the girls all look rather alike - this could suggest that looks are more important to him than personality; why else do they all look alike? And how does he move from one to the other so quickly? Didn't he pick out Erin at a Victoria Secret show? Ewwww. And (b) one could deduce that he doesn't like a challenge; dating a younger (now approx 15 years younger) woman gives him a sort of upper hand, being the wiser and more life experienced of the two. It's a power thing. People are free to disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Of course I don't know any of this for a fact. My post is based on patterns, perception and opinion - nothing more. My impression of Leo is that he is rather slimy, a player. That's all.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dicaprio, leonardo, relationship, thread