How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

I can see why B List models and actresses (at least to the general public, we're different here...) would want to go with a handsome, single movie star- even if it is for a short time; nothing like four pages in Us and People every week to put your career into a new orbit...

26-12-2011
fashion icon

^Yep every model who dates him-- including Gisele- enjoys a career boost. Bar Rafaeli was just another bland, indistinguishable blonde but after Leo she suddenly landed a Sports Illustrated cover and was declared a "supermodel" by the media despite not really having the resume.

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I can see why B List models and actresses (at least to the general public, we're different here...) would want to go with a handsome, single movie star- even if it is for a short time; nothing like four pages in Us and People every week to put your career into a new orbit...
I agree. Is it really that serious for a woman in her twenties to go out with him? Now I can see if she was running around publicly calling him the love of her life and getting Leo tattooed somewhere, but if he asks her out and she finds him attractive then I say go for it.

Leo definitely has a physical type and the fact that he gets older and his girlfriends stay roughly the same age does reflect that the guy may not be fully matured / totally self-actualized when it comes to romantic relationships, but whoopty doo, he is certainly not alone on this front there are several award winning directors, actors, businessmen who have a similar afflictions. New York and Los Angeles are lousy with blond model types, so I don't assume he cannot find a young, leggy blonde who is not an airhead. Don't get it twisted, of course Leo's modelizing is very snark worthy so keep the jokes coming, but IMO he still has another 10-15 years before he attains creepy, old man status and even then it will still be his prerogative to continue hooking up with young, leggy blondes.

Last edited by agee; 26-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Yup, and (I may have mentioned this before somewhere) on the DVD extras for The Aviator he is part of a discussion panel about Howard Hughes and the research he did for the role, and this guy is far from dumb; I was very impressed (and a little surprised) at how articulate and well versed he is on things...I can see how he would be very interesting to be around...

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

It is amazing, sometimes, the contrast between people in their professional lives as opposed to their personal ones. One can be completely stellar, functional and intelligent at work and then a buffoon in his/her personal life.

I find it weird not only that he is a modelizer, because there are plenty of those, but the fact that there is a distinctly "carbon copy" aspect to the girls he picks is definitely creepy. It just makes me think of Steford Wives or something robotic and clone-like. I am not saying the girls are robotic, just that his choices are. It's like a classic Freudian "repetition compulsion."

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Or, maybe that is the sort of girl that lights his fire!! I mean- he is handsome, fit, rich and famous- he certainly has plenty of potential social partners to choose from...Would we be as critical if it was a beautiful actress or model that ended up with a long haired, freaky rock star over and over again??

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Yeah, I think I would, anyhow. If we saw an A-list actress date **several** men who look nearly alike in back-to-back-to-back-to-back-ad-infinitum succession, I would think that was creepy too. Sure most of us are, superfically, attracted to one type more than another. I like dark haired guys best, but that hasn't stopped me from dating light haired ones in the past (am settled now ) or having personal crushes on blonde celebs. Chemistry isn't destiny!! Leo just seems to choose almost the same girl over and over again. It seems almost as though what is below the SURFACE -the heart, the personality, the intelligence- doesn't even matter to him. Especially if he goes to VS shows and picks a girl out, like he is shopping. I mean, that is just freaky and goes beyond lighting a fire imo. I take your point, but in Leo's case, it has gone "beyond" due to the repetition. And why aren't any of them closer to his own age? That too is repeated in each. Not one over 30 right? Why? It is like he has picked one song and stuck it on repeat.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

26-12-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
And why aren't any of them closer to his own age? That too is repeated in each. Not one over 30 right? Why? It is like he has picked one song and stuck it on repeat.
Because he doesn't want to get married. How many women over 30 just want to date with no plans of marriage in sight? Single women hit 28 and start panicking if they are not engaged. If Leo doesn't want marriage, he's not going to date someone who has marriage on the brain. And most 23 year olds aren't thinking about marriage whereas many 29 year olds are.

That's probably also why they break up after a few years. At 23, she's not thinking about the future. But at 28, she brings up the issue of marriage, realizes it's never going to happen with Leo, and they split up so she can go find someone who wants the same things she wants.

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Amen...and I'm a combat veteran of several of these campaigns.... Maybe he likes being single and also likes beautiful young women? There doesn't really have to be a deep, dark secret behind it all....

26-12-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I agree. Is it really that serious for a woman in her twenties to go out with him? Now I can see if she was running around publicly calling him the love of her life and getting Leo tattooed somewhere, but if he asks her out and she finds him attractive then I say go for it.

Leo definitely has a physical type and the fact that he gets older and his girlfriends stay roughly the same age does reflect that the guy may not be fully matured / totally self-actualized when it comes to romantic relationships, but whoopty doo, he is certainly not alone on this front there are several award winning directors, actors, businessmen who have a similar afflictions. New York and Los Angeles are lousy with blond model types, so I don't assume he cannot find a young, leggy blonde who is not an airhead. Don't get it twisted, of course Leo's modelizing is very snark worthy so keep the jokes coming, but IMO he still has another 10-15 years before he attains creepy, old man status and even then it will still be his prerogative to continue hooking up with young, leggy blondes.
Nah. I think he's mature enough. He's just also shallow. But whatever, he does it because he can. Because women let him.

26-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroliiine View Post
Because he doesn't want to get married. How many women over 30 just want to date with no plans of marriage in sight? Single women hit 28 and start panicking if they are not engaged. If Leo doesn't want marriage, he's not going to date someone who has marriage on the brain. And most 23 year olds aren't thinking about marriage whereas many 29 year olds are.

That's probably also why they break up after a few years. At 23, she's not thinking about the future. But at 28, she brings up the issue of marriage, realizes it's never going to happen with Leo, and they split up so she can go find someone who wants the same things she wants.
Shallow motives in my humble opinion, but if he is straight up with the girls from the start of their hook up -- i.e, "I am not interested in a committment, just a girl (who looks like all the others, ahem) to have fun with" -- then she is in it with him and knows what she is doing, in which case, she is getting what she bargained for, which may work for her -- as others have noted, dating a high profile actor cannot be all bad for publicity. However, if he misleads the girls and uses them until they realize he isn't interested in much of anything, then he is definitely a grade A slimeball.

27-12-2011
tfs star

I just wonder how long this will last (him dating models)? Because unlike George Clooney, I can see Leo becoming fat, bold and very wrinkled.
I guess this will last as long as models see him as their ticket to "supermodel" status.

27-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
However, if he misleads the girls and uses them until they realize he isn't interested in much of anything, then he is definitely a grade A slimeball.
True he would be a slimeball if he did this, but there is no evidence that he does, and I don't know if he could do this even if he wanted to since he has such a high public profile and his relationships, including the modelizing, have been well covered in the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japoelflaco View Post
I just wonder how long this will last (him dating models)? Because unlike George Clooney, I can see Leo becoming fat, bold and very wrinkled.
Hasn't hurt Jack Nicholson.

27-12-2011
V.I.P.

We're getting carried away with this predatory male business- these young women are rather successful in their own field of endeavour, and I would be very surprised if they didn't all know how the game is played; naive innocence doesn't usually go hand in hand with being a big time model or an up and coming actress...

27-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ True. It does take two to tango.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dicaprio, leonardo, relationship, thread