Lily Cole refuses any future work for DeBeers - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2005
within an embrace

Lily Cole refuses any future work for DeBeers
Model won't work for De Beers again
July 12, 2005

British supermodel Lily Cole, the current face of De Beers, has stated that she is refusing to work for De Beers again, over claims that Bushmen were evicted to make way for future diamond mining in Botswana, says London-based Survival International.

Her statement follows lobbying from human rights organisation Survival International.

London spokesperson for De Beers Lynette Hori wasn't available to comment.

Lily told Survival, "I was unaware of these matters when I was booked for the shoot."

Stephen Corry, Director of Survival International said: "I am delighted that Lily has heeded our advice and understands the human suffering that diamonds are causing the Bushmen. I now urge other models not to work for De Beers. De Beers must realise that the only way out of this is for the Bushmen to be given back their land."

Lily Cole is not the first model to quit working for De Beers.

Supermodel Iman famously quit as the face of De Beers after meeting with Survival International.

Meanwhile, British supermodel Erin O'Connor distanced herself from De Beers stating '"I don't think that doing a job like (being the face of De Beers) would in any way add to my life or make me happy. I would make that stand, and say 'no'."

This is part of Survival International's ongoing campaign against De Beers in support of the Bushmen of the Kalahari over their eviction from their lands to make way for future diamond mining.

Since the eviction, the Bushmen have been continuously persecuted, the organisation said.

Only last month seven were tortured by wildlife officials for hunting to feed their families, according to Survival International.

Last month Survival and pioneering American feminist Gloria Steinem picketed the opening of De Beers's first US store in New York.

Survival supporters urged US celebrities Teri Hatcher and Lindsay Lohan not to cross the picket line.

Meanwhile, screen icon Julie Christie has lent her support to the campaign stating: "Boycott De Beers! Or have the destruction of the Bushmen on your conscience." - I-Net Bridge

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2622214

interesting. I first heard about this as I scrolled through gettyimages, and if it made it on there, it's fairly big. I haven't seen this on yahoo, yet, though.

13-07-2005
holy####ery

Wow, I had no idea... That's a horrible thing, to dislocate people from their natural environment and expect them to fend for themselves. Globalization isn't good for everyone...

13-07-2005
barcode

Good for them, (Lily, Iman and Erin I mean)

13-07-2005
V.I.P.

Lily is so very ugly...

Its nice that she has such strong convictions, which matters in the modeling world when people sell thier convictions.

13-07-2005
front row

That is a terrible article, sensationalism at it's worst.

Last edited by oanadobre; 05-05-2006 at 10:15 AM.

14-07-2005
slightly dizzy

The diamond business is a dirty one. I applaude anyone who says no!

14-07-2005
V.I.P.

Good for Lily!

I HATE DeBeers with a passion for so many reasons...Im glad Lily is standing up against them.

14-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
That is a terrible article, sensationalism at it's worst. .
Why is that? I would think there were certainly less worthy things to which one might wish to draw other's attention than people being evicted for a diamond mine.

John

Last edited by oanadobre; 05-05-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: please see tFS guidelines
14-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Why is that? I would think there were certainly less worthy things to which one might wish to draw other's attention than people being evicted for a diamond mine.

John
Like Morgan38 mentioned, De Beers has done far worse than evict savages. If you want to boycott De Beers there are far better reasons then mentioned in the article.

14-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
Like Morgan38 mentioned, De Beers has done far worse than evict savages. If you want to boycott De Beers there are far better reasons then mentioned in the article.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

John

14-07-2005
trendsetter

It's very admirable of Lily to take a stand like that. Good for her!

14-07-2005
V.I.P.

Go Lily! Diamonds are not worth it if it means that ppl are evicted.

14-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleur137
Go Lily! Diamonds are not worth it if it means that ppl are evicted.
Diamonds really arent worth it. Theyre not even particularly rare or valuable stones...but since DeBeers has used some very ethically questionable means to monopolize the industry theyve been able to keep the price up.

14-07-2005
backstage pass

good for lily.. it's really tough to make a stand like that.. especially since it cost her a job/a lot of money!

14-07-2005
fashion icon

good on ya Lily!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cole, debeers, future, lily, refuses, work