How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-05-2005
Diamond

Louis Vuitton Tells San Francisco Hotel: ‘Cease and Desist’
San Francisco, Calif. (PRWE May 17, 2005 -- The Hotel des Arts is a small San Francisco hotel that showcases the original fine art work of emerging artists from around the world. The San Francisco hotel's “Painted Rooms” exhibitions have received international acclaim as one-by-one, the 51 rooms of the hotel are transformed into works of fine art.

To date, nearly 30 of the rooms in the San Francisco hotel have been transformed, painted floor to ceiling by some of the premier emerging and underground artists in the world. The artists have been given free reign to create magic, and the project has been widely lauded as an amazing showcase of new artistic talent and fine art within this small San Francisco hotel.

One of the “Painted Rooms” in the art hotel features a series of hand painted floor-to-ceiling murals by San Francisco pop artist Tim Gaskin. Gaskin, whose artwork frequently juxtaposes celebrity icons with the iconography of contemporary advertising, included images of pop sensation Madonna on the walls of his room, superimposed on patterns and logos from luxury product manufacturer Louis Vuitton. The resultant work of original fine art is at once an homage, a commentary, and a critique of consumer culture and celebrity, and has received a great deal of press coverage and attention. Most people liked it.

Full Article

~Madeleine Albright

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

i like it.

18-05-2005
front row

That's classy and stylish. Could live with it.

backstage pass

like it!!

Diamond

I wish I could find more pics...I saw them on the news this morning but can't find them on the web

~Madeleine Albright
18-05-2005
fashion elite

awesome!
Thanks for the article Hipkitten...

V.I.P.

The real issue is that MJ hadn't thought of this print yet.

18-05-2005
slightly dizzy

Brands have become a part of culture, and that's their aim too. Brands want us to recognize them instantly, to have a relationship with them/to them, sort of.

Considering this, I don't think it's fair to attack artists who use the imagery of labels. It's part of our culture, period. Of course people will react to and use those images since we relate to them.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

18-05-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Haven't their lawyers got something better to be doing?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
The real issue is that MJ hadn't thought of this print yet.
i'm sure that's exactly what louis vuitton is thinking.

they want that print on the bags by s/s '06.

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
Considering this, I don't think it's fair to attack artists who use the imagery of labels. It's part of our culture, period. Of course people will react to and use those images since we relate to them.
agreed. it's pop art. whatever happened to freedom of expression?

it would be a totally different story if it was clothing, shoes or bags that were going to be sold to consumers.

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

more from the article...

Quote:
The global multinational demanded that the San Francisco hotel "remove all infringing depictions of the LV trademark from your walls." The letter further requested the "name and address" of the person who created "each mural painted," and threatened legal action for "trademark infringement, false designation of origin, unfair competition, and trademark dilution."

Louis Vuitton's anticounterfeiting director of the Americas further threatened "preliminary and permanent injunctive relief, an award of treble damages for willful infringement, statutory damages, punitive damages, and attorney's fees and costs." The letter also suggested that the San Francisco hotel "may be subject to criminal prosecution under the Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984; and that individual participants may themselves be personally liable for damages."

The Hotel des Arts refuses to be intimidated.

"Removing the LV trademark from the walls of the hotel would necessitate destroying an original piece of fine art, and that is not something we are even going to consider," said the Hotel des Arts' Richard Singer. "Works of artistic expression are clearly protected by the First Amendment, and we absolutely refuse to be censored by a multinational corporation and their teams of lawyers."

18-05-2005
front row

I'm not an LV fan...and I like it. I think LV is absolutely overreacting. He was being paid homage for christ sakes. I don't think much will come of this however. I think the lawsuit may just be a very good publicity stunt.

Emi

18-05-2005
barcode

I like it, very cool in an ironic way.

18-05-2005
Frozen irony.

I like it, i would have a room in my house painted that way..

its so kitsch, i love it!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
desist’, francisco, hotel, louis, san, tells, vuitton, ‘cease