How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-04-2005
fashion insider

Maggie Rizer`s Stepfather gambled away her fortune of 7 million $
MODEL OF FORGIVENESS

MAGGIE RIZER admits that she asked the judge to go easy on her stepfather John Breen in spite of the fact that he gambled away $7 million of her modeling fortune in 2002. "He did everything from teach me, help me with my math homework, teach me to play basketball," she told News 10 Now. "He was an active member of the family. Someone who has an awful addiction doesn't deserve to spend 20 years in prison and that's not going to do him any good." Breen, who is serving a four year prison sentence, worked his way through the money by playing Quick Draw. "At first we heard it was $80,000 and I thought that was awful for me," went on Rizer, who admits she was skeptical about mixing business with family but entrusted her finances to Breen nonetheless. "I couldn't believe it. And then over the next six months it became $100,000 and half a million. Then, basically, it was just last summer when I realised the extent of it, $7 million." The director of the New York State Centre for Problem Gambling, Bill Bowman, credits Rizer with setting a good example, meanwhile. "It's really refreshing to see that type of response and many, many people have a hard time being ther who have been hurt or who are affected by an addict," he said. "Her response tends to indicate that she sees problem gambling as the illness that it is." (April 7 2005, AM)

http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/s...ory.asp?SSID=5

07-04-2005
V.I.P.

This was a really sad story. It must have been awful for Maggie to have somebody that's supposed to be looking out for you do something like that.

07-04-2005
rising star

How awful! That is such a betrayal of her trust. Having gone through issues of addiction with a family member, it's nice to see that she's not being vendictive but hoping he get help. Sad for Maggie, though.

07-04-2005
my loves a pony.

I saw her on the Today Show talking about it the other day.

07-04-2005
backstage pass

$7 million?! that is so much money!

07-04-2005
front row

She's a very forgiving girl. I'm sure most of us would have given out some "*** whooping" before forgiving him.

Can you imagine 7 million? Wow.

07-04-2005
scenester

having been a former semi-pro poker player, i feel a little guilty when I hear stuff like this.

07-04-2005
V.I.P.

Who's Maggie Rizer?

07-04-2005
Been things & seen places

awww this sucks! it sounds crazy though that she would entrust her fortune to a family member who is into gambling...duh!
poor girl...hope she gets a contract or something thrown her way- she is still beautiful

07-04-2005
Rebaptising my badness

7 million dollars... what can an addiction lead someone into.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballkid11
having been a former semi-pro poker player, i feel a little guilty when I hear stuff like this.
why guilty? I would be interested in knowing your story. I have several friends who make their living at poker.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksiel
why guilty? I would be interested in knowing your story. I have several friends who make their living at poker.
Well, it's like i was taking advantage of their bad habits you know? They'd lose money to more skilled players, get more money, lose more,...And just feeding their habits. I know it's their choice but I must admit that I feel partly responsible for supporting their bad habits. I should be trying to do something to help them, not make things worse.

I can only imagine what it must be like to be an addicted gambler and lose entire life savings...and guys like me weren't doing anything to help it, just taking their hard earned money in not such a hard way.

11-06-2005
scenester

saw this on abc few days ago and it's pretty sad..but at least i found out he didn't lose it to me for sure.

11-06-2005
I loved you

... sad story. Its amazing how forgiving one can be.

11-06-2005
Diamond

AlexN: Maggie is a model

As sad as this story is, it gives me the warm fuzzies to see someone so forgiving. Maggie is beautiful on both the outside and the inside

~Madeleine Albright
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fortune, gambled, maggie, million, rizer`s, stepfather