How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-02-2011
  16
you soft and only
 
blueorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,631
Isn't PETA even against having pets? Like aren't they for the liberation of all animals? Or is that the policy of another organization that I am confusing them with?

How many pets do the celebrities they support have, I wonder.

  Reply With Quote
 
03-02-2011
  17
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Isn't PETA even against having pets? Like aren't they for the liberation of all animals? Or is that the policy of another organization that I am confusing them with?

How many pets do the celebrities they support have, I wonder.
Yes, PETA is for total animal liberation, as in no pets. PETA has good intentions (animal rights), but lack decorum on how they go about spreading their message.

  Reply With Quote
04-02-2011
  18
you soft and only
 
blueorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,631
Just checking, because I wonder how many of their celebrity supporters even understand all that PETA stands for.

  Reply With Quote
04-02-2011
  19
V.I.P.
 
sobriquet87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: My Imagination
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,316
Has anyone ever considered that Gaga's meat dress was meant to be a metaphor for wearing fur?
Maybe it was her way of expressing how ridiculous and sickening it looks to wear a slaughtered animal on your body? Just sayin'.

  Reply With Quote
04-02-2011
  20
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,206
Although to get that message across, it would have needed to be worn at some time or place where people could make an unmistakable contrast between her and those wearing fur. But PETA will always have a hypocrisy problem when it comes to using celebrities, because most of them will naturally put their career (and themselves) first, rather than conform to the lifestyle. Its another opportunity for publicity, until a fur company makes them too good an offer - and too nice a coat - to turn down.
Posted via Mobile Device

  Reply With Quote
04-02-2011
  21
oh! darling
 
papa_levante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: at the bottom of everything
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,373
Quote:
Maybe it was her way of expressing how ridiculous and sickening it looks to wear a slaughtered animal on your body? Just sayin'.
True, but isn't the hypocrisy still there? I think it is. That meat was wasted as soon as it was taken off of Gaga. I can be pretty sure of that. (Who'd eat it? Right?)

I wonder if PETA is going to try and get some celebrities together for Meatless Mondays or GoVeg. I know Paul was big in that and though he may not have the star power of Gaga as of now, he might be able to sway the "older" population.

__________________
i'd rather live it 'cause dreamers always chase but never get it............................... sam ypma
  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  22
In Bloom
 
The_Ida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
There's a clear difference between eating meat and wearing fur.

So I don't find it hypocritical at all.
Oh really? There is a difference because you say so?

A fur coat you can wear for years, if you eat a cow it's out of your system within 24 hours.

I really do find it very hypocritical.

__________________
ten days of perfect tunes
the colors red and blue
we had a promise made

we were in love


  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  23
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Oh really? There is a difference because you say so?

A fur coat you can wear for years, if you eat a cow it's out of your system within 24 hours.

I really do find it very hypocritical.
Based on your logic, it's hypocritical because a fur coat lasts for years while eating meat only lasts for 24 hours? That's very strange to say the least.

A fur coat doesn't do anything for you except keep you warm and make you look pretty (looking pretty isn't a necessity and not all fur coats are pretty); and keeping warm you can easily get through layering layers of ugly blankets. Fur coats are purely vanity in this discussion, unlike eating meat.

Eating meat has its nutritional value, no matter what your stance is on vegetarianism/veganism. And eating meat for nutritional reasons is far different from wearing fur just to look pretty.

PETA is hypocritical in this sense; but not Gaga.


People love nit picking these days.

  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  24
Looking Up
 
Squizree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Gender: homme
Posts: 18,545
I agree with Leeroi. The qualities of a fur coat (good looks and warmth) can easily be replaced by other things. But the nutritional qualities of meat can not be replaced. Also evolutionists will tell you that meat is a main contributor to the enlargement of our brains since we were apes or whatever.

  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  25
In Bloom
 
The_Ida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,213
You can get all the proteins you need elsewhere. You don't need to eat meat, you don't need to wear fur and you don't need to wear leather. All people do at least one of three, which is essentially killing and exploiting animals for no reason other than it's pretty/convenient. Which is the reason I find all anti-fur meat-eating people incredibly hypocritical.

BTW We only have big brains because women have a pelvis suitable for giving birth to big-headed babies. This is primarily the reason why Neanderthals became extinct - their brains evolved, the pelvis didn't.

__________________
ten days of perfect tunes
the colors red and blue
we had a promise made

we were in love


  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  26
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Where the mountains meet the sea..♥
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,644
Mariah Carey is a big fur wearer, isn't she?

This campaign is a joke. If I were Pink, I'd be furious.

  Reply With Quote
05-02-2011
  27
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
You can get all the proteins you need elsewhere. You don't need to eat meat, you don't need to wear fur and you don't need to wear leather. All people do at least one of three, which is essentially killing and exploiting animals for no reason other than it's pretty/convenient. Which is the reason I find all anti-fur meat-eating people incredibly hypocritical.

BTW We only have big brains because women have a pelvis suitable for giving birth to big-headed babies. This is primarily the reason why Neanderthals became extinct - their brains evolved, the pelvis didn't.
Yes, you can get the proteins else where like nuts and soy milk and veggies. But meat is practically the only source of complete proteins unlike non-meat where you have to eat several different kinds.

And let's not get started on how overtly expensive "healthy" eating can be in America or many developed western countries where meat production seems to be much cheaper than vegetable production.

Your average working family won't be able to afford or even have the time to think about all the vegetables, nuts, legumes, and meat-alternatives you need to make complete proteins; where as they can just simply buy a pack of cheap chicken.

I'm vegetarian myself, but I don't find the hypocrisy there whatsoever. What about people who live in arctic regions where vegetable production is practically nonexistent? They're the only ones who practically have justified reason to wear fur and eat animals; are they exploiting animals as well?

Even then, I still find your first statement ("A fur coat you can wear for years, if you eat a cow it's out of your system within 24 hours") extremely strange when it comes to this discussion. You practically justified wearing a fur coat.

Let's not get over the simple facts:
Gaga is anti-fur.
Gaga never said "I love animals and animals should never be killed."

If she would have said she's anti-fur and animals should never be killed but still insists on eating meat; then yes she would be hypocritical. But she only has taken a stance on anti-fur.

Remaining on my original stance on this; PETA is the hypocritical one.

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2011
  28
In Bloom
 
The_Ida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post

And let's not get started on how overtly expensive "healthy" eating can be in America or many developed western countries where meat production seems to be much cheaper than vegetable production.

Your average working family won't be able to afford or even have the time to think about all the vegetables, nuts, legumes, and meat-alternatives you need to make complete proteins; where as they can just simply buy a pack of cheap chicken.

I'm vegetarian myself, but I don't find the hypocrisy there whatsoever. What about people who live in arctic regions where vegetable production is practically nonexistent? They're the only ones who practically have justified reason to wear fur and eat animals; are they exploiting animals as well?
OMG It's not more expensive going vegan than buying meat. I think that people in some countries just aren't educated enough And does it matter? Really?

Does it really matter how people in the arctic regions get their veggies? Hint: They import them. They can still buy veggies. I mean, that is a stupid justification - every single person in the developed countries are able to get the nutrition they need without harming animals. And then people go mad over fur? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And hypocritical. If people were so concerned about animal rights then they wouldn't eat meat or wear leather. But they do. And I find it hilarious.

I don't mind fur. I eat meat. So shoot me. To me it doesn't matter if the animal is killed for fur or for meat, it's still bred and killed so we can exploit it one way or another. I don't think either reason is better than the other.

__________________
ten days of perfect tunes
the colors red and blue
we had a promise made

we were in love


  Reply With Quote
06-02-2011
  29
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
OMG It's not more expensive going vegan than buying meat. I think that people in some countries just aren't educated enough And does it matter? Really?

Does it really matter how people in the arctic regions get their veggies? Hint: They import them. They can still buy veggies. I mean, that is a stupid justification - every single person in the developed countries are able to get the nutrition they need without harming animals. And then people go mad over fur? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And hypocritical. If people were so concerned about animal rights then they wouldn't eat meat or wear leather. But they do. And I find it hilarious.

I don't mind fur. I eat meat. So shoot me. To me it doesn't matter if the animal is killed for fur or for meat, it's still bred and killed so we can exploit it one way or another. I don't think either reason is better than the other.
Wait, are you telling me people who live in sub-arctic regions in Canada can easily and inexpensively import veggies? That's news to me.

I see you live in Denmark, unless you're lying. So before you start your "I think that people in some countries just aren't educated enough", you may need to educate yourself in other people's governmental practices. Did you know the USA's government subsidies meat and dairy production more than vegetable farming? Oh, yes, that's why hamburgers are cheaper than salads in many restaurants. You dear may need to educate yourself. Oh, and it does matter what is cheaper and affordable when the average income is barely enough to even afford your monthly mortgage.

So vanity and nutrition are equally as bad of a reason for killing animals? I guess such statements are expected in a fashion forum.

Also, Gaga has yet to make statements about how much she's for "animal rights". She's simply anti-fur. Just putting it out there since people love getting way over ahead of themselves before properly educating themselves on this topic.

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2011
  30
Looking Up
 
Squizree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Gender: homme
Posts: 18,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
OMG It's not more expensive going vegan than buying meat. I think that people in some countries just aren't educated enough And does it matter? Really?

Does it really matter how people in the arctic regions get their veggies? Hint: They import them. They can still buy veggies. I mean, that is a stupid justification - every single person in the developed countries are able to get the nutrition they need without harming animals. And then people go mad over fur? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And hypocritical. If people were so concerned about animal rights then they wouldn't eat meat or wear leather. But they do. And I find it hilarious.

I don't mind fur. I eat meat. So shoot me. To me it doesn't matter if the animal is killed for fur or for meat, it's still bred and killed so we can exploit it one way or another. I don't think either reason is better than the other.
Ahh no. You try living in an arctic region in the middle of the Pacific ocean and say that. Where I live produce is more expensive than meat. That's why we have so many vegetarians protesting and complaining to the government to drop produce prices. .
Eating meat helps you grow, wearing fur doesn't. Killing animals for meat has benefits for humanity, killing animals for fur is a waste. It's absurd to give these 2 things the same weight.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
campaign, carey, gaga, lady, mariah, peta, pink, unite
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.