How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-02-2011
Looking Up

Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga and Pink Unite for PETA Campaign
Quote:
Mariah, Gaga and Pink Unite for PETA Campaign

Lady Gaga’s infamous “meat dress” may have drawn the ire of PETA, but that hasn’t stopped the animal-rights organization from featuring her — along with fellow icons Pink and Mariah Carey — on a brand-new billboard, set to be unveiled Tuesday in Los Angeles.

It’s part of PETA’s “Fur-Free and Fabulous” campaign, and, despite the fallout over her Video Music Awards outfit, Gaga was chosen because, as PETA puts it in a press release, “Her anti-fur stance… has been unwavering.”

PETA also selected Pink and Carey for the billboard — which will be raised on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles — because of their longtime anti-fur stances. Pink, who recently co-starred with comedian Ricky Gervais in PETA’s “Stolen for Fashion” video short, once allegedly called out Beyoncé for wearing fur, and Carey famously donated a pair of full-length Russian sable coats she had received as gifts to PETA, who, in turn, gave them to homeless women at their winter “fur kitchen” event.

With the new billboard, Gaga, Pink and Carey join a list of stars who have teamed with the organization to come out against fur. Last year’s “Fur-Free and Fabulous” ad featured Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey.
madaboutmariah.com

01-02-2011
fashion elite

Lets hope they're more fortunate than these lovely ladies.
http://jezebel.com/5748977/peta-find...ing-vegetables

Last edited by LabelWhore4; 01-02-2011 at 07:43 PM.
01-02-2011
V.I.P.

lmao at the reason for using Gaga "her anti-fur" stance. this is why PETA annoys me to no end. They are so radical in their movement to protect animal rights, but they distract away all the good that they do like exposing the harsh treatment of animals in factories by attacking celebrities and writing open letters to them. Gaga used a dress completely made out of REAL meat, and this is forgivable so she can raise awareness for their brand? hot mess.

thank you LabelWhore for that too.^^
sometimes they seem no better than a B rate media tabloid mag

02-02-2011
trendsetter

Not going to lie, I think PETA only hired Gaga to be in the fur-free campaign since she's the most sought after celebrity right now and her name is almost synonymous with fashion. So at the very least her army of obsessively loyal fans may in turn not wear fur if they even wore real fur to begin with.... just a thought. If she wasn't as famous I doubt PETA would "forgive" her for the meat dress to even consider her for this type of campaign.

But then again, Gaga has always been anti-fur and fur is completely different from meat...

02-02-2011
V.I.P.

Anyone who refuses to wear fur gets my utmost respect.

02-02-2011
®

so... fur isn't OK but a MEAT dress is alright? Oh, PETA's ridiculous antics amuse me to no end.

oh! darling

Maybe it's from a vanity vs. human sustainability point-of-view?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmLordZen View Post
so... fur isn't OK but a MEAT dress is alright? Oh, PETA's ridiculous antics amuse me to no end.
God she is a joke, isn't she...

03-02-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMiss View Post
God she is a joke, isn't she...
I know...
such a hypocrite

rising star

can't believe :S

backstage pass

so many people who are against fur still eat meat, which I find incredibly hypocritical. my mother is like that, talking about how horrible it is to wear fur while cooking up a cow that probably spent its life in misery. (I really should go vegetarian again )

my biggest problem with fur is actually the ostentatious show of wealth. and it's ugly as fukc too.

don't look down

At least if it gets eaten, it hasn't gone to waste - but I imagine if you've spent a day sitting down on a dress of meat, it might not be fit for the dinner table, unless she's keeping it in her refrigerator for some future occasion when she might wear it again.

But a dress made of vintage meat might be a sight (and smell) to turn the stomach of even the most experimental fashion student. Perhaps a picture of an aged Gaga in her rotting meat couture might actually achieve the result that Peta wants.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Apples View Post
so many people who are against fur still eat meat, which I find incredibly hypocritical. my mother is like that, talking about how horrible it is to wear fur while cooking up a cow that probably spent its life in misery. (I really should go vegetarian again )

my biggest problem with fur is actually the ostentatious show of wealth. and it's ugly as fukc too.
There's a clear difference between eating meat and wearing fur.

So I don't find it hypocritical at all.

Lady Gaga would be hypocritical if she took a stance on anti-fur but still continue to use it, that's hypocritical.

03-02-2011
oh! darling

Quote:
There's a clear difference between eating meat and wearing fur.

So I don't find it hypocritical at all.
What I find hypocritical is on PETA's part. I don't see any justification of Gaga using meat as a dress (purely vain, wouldn't you think?) to make a statement of her own.

I have yet to read a statement from PETA for their decision. They mention her Kermit the Frog outfit from years back, but that is entirely irrelevant to anything.

I do commend PETA for using celebrity faces to take a stand against fur, but Lady Gaga -though I am guilty of being a fan - is hardly being used as a legitimate spokesperson. Just a celebrity face.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
What I find hypocritical is on PETA's part. I don't see any justification of Gaga using meat as a dress (purely vain, wouldn't you think?) to make a statement of her own.

I have yet to read a statement from PETA for their decision. They mention her Kermit the Frog outfit from years back, but that is entirely irrelevant to anything.

I do commend PETA for using celebrity faces to take a stand against fur, but Lady Gaga -though I am guilty of being a fan - is hardly being used as a legitimate spokesperson. Just a celebrity face.
Gaga has always been an anti-fur advocate; hence why she's chosen for this campaign.

Yes, PETA is hypocritical because if Gaga wasn't as popular as she is now, I doubt they would have chosen her for this campaign.

PETA knows Gaga is the biggest musician at the moment, so at the very least Gaga can give some sort of audience to this campaign.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
campaign, carey, gaga, lady, mariah, peta, pink, unite