How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-07-2011
backstage pass

SJP was in a tv series which kids weren't allowed to watch. And the movies of the series. That also doesn't qualify?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dreamss; 18-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.

18-07-2011
backstage pass

Even our precious Angelina are you guys ready to say she's clean too? Wow. You guys are good!
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
backstage pass

When you think of Megan all you think about is her hottness. You dont think about her acting because her acting sucks(atleast in my point of view). When you think of serious actresses such as Angelina or Naomi Watts or Keira Knightly, not only are they very beautiful and sexy women but they are also amazing actresses. Angelina is obviously a sex symbol but atleast she has class being sexy. Megan is tasteless who tries very hard to be desired by men. She is by no means a serious actress and most likely never will be. I wouldn't say all actresses in Hollywood are sex symbols I'd say the majority of them are beauty symbols. Also just because you have sex in a movie doesn't make you a sex symbol. Kate Winslet for example she is very beautiful and has done sex scenes and I wouldn't call her a sex symbol.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

mods should change the thread title, it´s not longer about MF... it´s about Dreamss and his comments

18-07-2011
backstage pass

Uh didn't Natalie strip for her role in Hotel Chevelier? Eh?

So I don't see what's untrue about what Megan said!

This thread is unusually quiet.
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
backstage pass

I think you guys don't(?) understand what Megan fully said. You probably refuse to acknowledge it all. Oh well, I can still post it:You’re
merchandised, you’re a
product. You’re sold and it’s
based on sex
. She didn't just stop at sex symbol.

Also, didn't kate winslet do an oh so steamy sex scene in Titanic? OR "YOU'RE SOLD AND IT'S BASED ON SEX" doesn't apply to that too?
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

My problem with her quote is not about being a product etc is about the "That’s what our purpose is in this business." and "I think women should be empowered by that, not degraded."

I agree about women being empowered by their sexuallity but when you (in general) think that´s all women are about then yeah, it pisses me off... I think that´s degrading to women.
Most young and hot actresses have a sexy spread on a guys magazine, sure. But they´re not all about that, and is this quote that gives them a bad name imo.
And I´m giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she changed her mind but isn´t that the very reason she allegedly quit T3? how come she wasn´t empowered by Michael Bay´s directing?

18-07-2011
backstage pass

Point in case: didn't all those actresses I've mentioned sell sex?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dreamss; 18-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

^and you think that´s their sole purpose in the business? don´t you find that degrading?

18-07-2011
backstage pass

I do find it degrading. But that isn't stopping it from happening. What I also find degrading is certain ppl making it look like Megan is the only girl that is being sexualized these days because she isn't talented and that serious actresses don't play roles like that . And that all those actress never sold sex. Heck if I did my research properly I could again name a girl in the ones mentioned above that sold sex in a way. You can disagree with her but saying that what she said isn't happening is purely untrue.
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
clever ain't wise

I think the reason that female sexuality is more degrading is because women degrade physically faster than men. So youth is such a merit for a woman. That's why everyone over 30 is frantic to keep their youth as long as they can. Well, obviously.

There's just something degrading about a quality that everyone gives you attention and love for but then if you do something wrong (burn your face or other unmentionables) you're no longer loved. And inevitably, the beauty that gave such attention and love will be gone by 40, 50 if you are very very lucky.

If it wasn't for that and for the fact that a major component of male sexuality is domination of a weak and defenseless partner, there wouldn't be much degrading about being a female sex object....

It's perishable, never static, even if you were once beautiful in a photograph, that's not your property that people will stare at you in awe for when you are 60. Like someone would with someone who wrote a great novel, or a scientist or whatever....holding up the achievement of beauty just seems pathetic, not impressive. I think it's unfair, and I don't agree, but it seems to be the way of the world.

18-07-2011
don't look down

If Megan wishes to frame herself as a product and describe that position as empowering, that is her mindset - but there are plenty of women in the industry who will define themselves differently, and approach the job of acting on different levels. Megan is free to complain about her experiences so far in movies, but she does not speak for everyone else, and probably not the actor-directors, the Oscar-winners, the serious thespians on stage, and any woman who was never considered hot to begin with, but still managed to carve out a career for herself.
Posted via Mobile Device

18-07-2011
trendsetter

^^I'd also add that female sexuality is more degrading, because it doesn't belong to women - in the patriarchal society it was and still is defined by men's perscpective. Also when it comes to women, beauty is the most sought after quality, while men are more often appreciated for their talents, intelligence, achievements.

As for Megan many of her quotes don't translate well to print. She's actually very self-aware and often sarcastic. Also this particular quote could have been taken out of context.

I actually agree that the vast majority of actors, male and female, sell sex at one point of their careers. The difference is whether actor/actress has something more to offer. Megan unfortunately doesn't that's why she's reduced to an eye-candy.

18-07-2011
backstage pass

I seriously dought Kate's sex scene in Titanic made it what it is today. I dont have a problem with Megan making herself a sex symbol but for her to classify all actresses like that is really a dumb thing to do. Dreamss if you think movies only sell because theres sex in them, then I am afraid you dont know what your talking about. Natalie Portman had sex scenes in Black Swan but it was her acting that won her the Oscar. Megan wins awards such as Teen Choice Hottie, I dont think she qualifies to put down all actresses like that. Just because she sells because of sex doesn't mean the rest of the women in Hollywood sell because of sex. I think she really wants a serious acting career but knows that she will always just be the sexy Megan Fox not the Oscar Award winning actress. Megan is not the only one being sexualized in Hollywood there are plenty of actresses being sexualized but she seems to love it. She is always talking about how much sex she has, she is always posing in bikinis, and all of her roles so far have been because of her looks. I mean that just could be her role in Hollywood and who are we to judge it? Its her career not ours.

18-07-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamss View Post
I think you guys don't(?) understand what Megan fully said. You probably refuse to acknowledge it all.
You're the one editing her quote to suit your purpose.
The full sentence was, allow me to remind you:
Quote:
I think all women in Hollywood are known as sex symbols. That’s what our purpose is in this business. You’re merchandised, you’re a product. You’re sold and it’s based on sex. But that’s okay. I think women should be empowered by that, not degraded.
So what Megan is saying isn't a clever remark about how sex sell, or how movies often play up the attractiveness of their performers. She's saying that the sole purpose of actresses is to titillate the (male) audience, and that they should feel proud to be merely eye candy.

Again, that's a reductive, incorrect and misogynistic statement. It also shows that Megan clearly has no clue what being an actress is about, which certainly explains her career choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
mods should change the thread title, it´s not longer about MF... it´s about Dreamss and his comments
I agree. He's the only thing that keeps me coming back because Megan really isn't that interesting at all.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fox, gossip, megan