How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2006
tfs star

Melanie lights underage daughter's cigarette
From dlisted:

Melanie Griffith is such a caring and nurturing mother that she holds out a light for her 17-year-old daughter, Dakota, as they shop at Maxfield's in West Hollywood.

Ugh. I want to like Melanie cause Antonio does, but she just seems like such a horrible person by all accounts. That's a parenting mistake of Britney proportions. IMO she deserves to cop flak for this incident, even an idiot would say that was irresponsible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mel1.3.jpg (25.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg mel2.3.jpg (26.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg mel3.1.jpg (25.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by ckashie; 03-08-2006 at 10:17 PM.

03-08-2006
Soviet Camaro

Um. I am not particularly a fan of Melanie Griffith or smoking, but I am finding it hard to get worked up about this.

I definitely don't think this is comparable to driving with a baby on your lap, for instance.

17 is not a baby. The girl's decided to smoke. It's nice that she can hang out with her mom and feel comfortable. My opinion.

fashion insider

It isn't as if Melanie will stop her daughter smoking by getting angry. She probably sees her daughter as an independent young lady who has made a decision, who knows whether she agrees with it or not, even if she doesn't the best thing she can do is just get on with her life and let her daughter get on with hers. I agree with tangerine it's nice that they seem to have a good relationship.

04-08-2006
User Friendly

Well at first I thought it was really stupid of her.. but then I read the above two posts and sort of agree with them too.. plus if she started yelling at her daughter for smoking she would sort of look like a hypocrite no? Perhaps the best solution would be for both of them to stop smoking but as everyone knows.. its not that easy.

04-08-2006
101st monkey airborne

La danse macabre, baby.

Last edited by mellowdrama; 04-08-2006 at 12:23 AM.
04-08-2006
fashion icon

Um...I"m honestly speechless at this point. That's just awful. I hate parents who try and be cool/friends with their kids.

dlg

04-08-2006
Melancholy

Rock on Melanie...Keira's mother was like that too, so was my step mum. IF shes gonna smoke, shes gonna smoke...its great to have company and that way theyll never run out of cigarettes.

04-08-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

17? Big deal. I'm fifteen and have friends who are bona fide alchoholics (mind you I live in a very suburban upper class area, so naturally they are all into rebeling and such). Such is the world we live in. And if your kid is interested in doing destructive things, it's better they do them with you so that you know where they are all.

04-08-2006
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
Um. I am not particularly a fan of Melanie Griffith or smoking, but I am finding it hard to get worked up about this.

I definitely don't think this is comparable to driving with a baby on your lap, for instance.

17 is not a baby. The girl's decided to smoke. It's nice that she can hang out with her mom and feel comfortable. My opinion.
Have to agree with you Tangerine....
Her daughter is at the age where she would do it with her mum's help or without.....
besides, it's Melanie's daughter, she can raise her however she wants to.
What's all the judgement from people that don't even know her going to help.

If it upsets you, don't do it for your own kids but you can't stop her.

04-08-2006
VSFS 2009!

I do agree that it's nice her daughter feels so comfortable with her but there has to be some boundries. The bottom line is that smoking isn't good for you and as a parent, she has to draw boundries. If my mother caught me smoking, she would smack me so hard...I'll be in Australia by now.

04-08-2006
rising star

they look like streetwalkers in that photo

04-08-2006
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassAngel
I do agree that it's nice her daughter feels so comfortable with her but there has to be some boundries. The bottom line is that smoking isn't good for you and as a parent, she has to draw boundries. If my mother caught me smoking, she would smack me so hard...I'll be in Australia by now.
Totally get your point....
but what about something like junk food....
that's bad for you... very bad....
but I don't think there would be this big deal if Melanie was feeding her french fries.
It's just about where you draw the line I guess.

04-08-2006
Power to the 99%

Perhaps she wants to ensure that her daughter gets skin like hers ASAP C'mon, she's been a rotten role model from the get-go ... only someone like Courtney Love can make her look good. Ironically, Frances Bean may turn out alright, having been forced to be the adult in that relationship ... thankfully there's plenty o' money for therapy

04-08-2006
backstage pass

Wow. I have to disagree with most of you and say that I think Melanie is being a bad parent. Sure, maybe she can't stop her daughter from smoking, but she doesn't have to encourage by lighting her cigarette.

04-08-2006
chaos reigns

Hum ... i see no biggie .. not healthy but no biggie .. wish my parents were like that (read, LOADED)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cigarette, daughter, lights, melanie, underage