Model Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] #10 - Page 27 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

5 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ And if so, what's wrong with that? I sense the opinion of someone with insufficient experience being marginalized here ...
It's the very definition of hypocrisy. That's what's wrong. I don't need to be experienced in any kind of prejudice to understand it. Are you of the opinion that one needs to eat crap to know it's not going to taste good, too?

5 Days Ago
#Resist

^ Of course it's not. The fact is that we are not all alike, identical, or exactly equal. The same word coming out of a man's mouth is different than coming out of a woman's mouth. The same word coming out of a white person's mouth is different than coming out of a black person's mouth. If you refuse to accept this simple reality, then you cannot accurately interpret what's going on in the world.

Is it ideal? Certainly not, but it is where we are right now, and there's no sense pretending otherwise.

I have observed that those who are most privileged do tend to understand this concept least. But I truly would love to live in a world where more people get it.

5 Days Ago
fashion insider

ThatDudeOverTher brought up a solid point: Some people always seem to forget that thereís a whole world outside of the USA thatís not familiar with the history of certain words/names that originated from that regionÖ

Itís a word that some Black people find hurtful and extremely offensive, while some Black people use it as a term of endearment, as well as empowermentó or just a name to call others. It is absolutely about context and environment.

To put it to my experience: I have some Black friends who use this word freely when Iím with them (and even amongst Black friends, itís usually the ones whose heritage are from North America that will use the word; My Black friends from the Islands and of direct African-heritage will rarely if at all use the word). Iíve never used it since it just comes off phoney in my head to me, a non-Black person. And knowing the history of the word, I admit itís not my preference to use it since itís such loaded word. I also have a lot of Iranian friends: Iíve observed very quickly that the older Iranians prefer to use Iranian, while the younger ones prefer Persian. Itís all about context and you learn these things very quickly when you interact with different people, cultures etc. As mentioned, some kid in a Scandinavian country may not know the historical significance of the word, may have only seen it used as a term of endearment in the mediaó and empowerment and slang in the music that they enjoy, so will likely parrot the word in that contextÖ Itís likely not spoken out of malice in that instanceó just inexperience (and even ignorance). They will learn in time. Hopefully when they start to meet and socialize with people of different races, cultures, backgrounds more, they then can come to a more educated conclusion of what is and isnít inappropriateó or just out of respect for those that find such a word hurtful, decide not to use it anymore. And if youíre not Black and you choose to use that word freely, just donít be startled when someone takes offence to hearing it come out of your mouth and confront you about it.

Censoring any word (or any form of literary expression)ó no matter the extremity of its impact when it's used, is such a counterproductive, dangerous direction to coming closer to restricting freedom of speech. Let the individual learn about the meaning of such words/literature, and they can decide for themselves if they would choose to continue using it. And if someone is just blatantly racist, Iíd rather they be upfront about it then be a wolf in sheepís clothing.

2 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post

I have observed that those who are most privileged do tend to understand this concept least. But I truly would love to live in a world where more people get it.
This is where I find issue with your argument. How can you quantify that observation? I just don't believe that you have to experience something in order to understand it. This isn't like saying I read a book on swimming and never been in a pool, but I'm pretty sure I know how to swim. Social concepts of inequality are not that difficult to understand and you don't need to have experienced it in order to do so.

1 Day Ago
#Resist

^ Darn it, my whole reply just got blown away ...

Yes, I agree. I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to understand, but when I find someone not understanding, a high degree of privilege is generally also present.

It requires empathy ... it's not just an intellectual understanding, I think it's also important to try to feel what it's like. Racism, sexism, homophobia and all the rest really create a huge burden on a lot of people.

I was talking with a guy at work recently ... I've decided that I need to try to have some meaningful dialogue with people who disagree with me, and he certainly qualifies. He refuses to admit that he (as a white male) has any privilege. Up by his bootstraps, grew up poor on a military base, blah blah and blah. He informed me that minorities 'just need to let it go.' I said that perhaps that's true, but one definition of privilege could be that a) not only were you not born with anything you need to let go of, but b) you don't have to listen to very annoying people telling you that you should let go of it. One day a ray of light may strike through that hard red-hatted head ...

13 Hours Ago
V.I.P.

Wait a sec ... why did the Adriana thing get deleted?

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
Wait a sec ... why did the Adriana thing get deleted?
Probably because it has to do with body issues? Not sure though

11 Hours Ago
V.I.P.

I want to see what the post was, too! We're talking about my girl, Adriana Lima, right?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #10, behavior, model, post, posting, read