How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-11-2012
V.I.P.

You are right, j.cruz, members in the VS thread were advised to take cultural appropriation (which is where this is headed to) to the thread created for it in FID, an area with more demanding guidelines intended to generate thoughtful debate.

08-11-2012
fashion elite

Its obvious that shes blowing a kiss. Look at the first pic and then the second...

08-11-2012
fashion icon

At least she's laughing all the way to her bank..

11-11-2012
tfs star

Ale looks amazing, but i dont like the mother-daughter posing. It kinda scares me, a little kid should not know or do posing like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRod5...ayer_embedded#!

11-11-2012
tfs star

^Anja is the cutest kid! I love how happy she got when Ale put the tiara on her haha

But yeah the posing was weird.

15-12-2012
V.I.P.

i thought this was very interesting and brave for Cameron to speak out

15-12-2012
backstage pass

I felt she was a bit nervous but totally delivered, it sounded very honest and I wish it were longer. Thanks for posting!

15-12-2012
tfs star

Cameron is simply wonderful!

15-12-2012
fashion elite

Yeah, we definitely needed a pretty white girl to tell us how hard it is for minorities.

No thanks.

16-12-2012
clever ain't wise

She did a good job. She could of course have talked for an hour.

It would be pretty interesting to hear what the reaction to her talk would have been if she had kept the first dress on vs if she did the transformation.

16-12-2012
V.I.P.

My opinion of Cameron Russell has totally changed. She seems like a very intelligent young woman and a great speaker at that. I commend her for choosing to talk about racial privilege. It takes a lot for a white, pretty woman to go up on stage in front of many and talk about such a subject.

I also loved the 'transformation' that preceded the speech. What an effective attention getter!

Last edited by Elfinkova; 16-12-2012 at 05:49 AM.

16-12-2012
French Chic

Nervous start apart, she did a fantastic job and is obviously very smart and articulate. Some of the issues she spoke about don't get enough attention in the media. Kudos to her.

16-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Yeah, we definitely needed a pretty white girl to tell us how hard it is for minorities.

No thanks.
i dont think that was the point. I think she was honestly stating a fact as to why the modeling industry isn't what it seems. I think it would have actually been worse to leave that out, seeing as how that is one of the top issues that still exists. I didnt see Liu, Joan, Chanel, Jourdan, Ming, or any other of the "token" girls up on that stage. I thought it was nice to hear voice an always ignored concern that I didn't think white models even cared about.

16-12-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
i dont think that was the point. I think she was honestly stating a fact as to why the modeling industry isn't what it seems. I think it would have actually been worse to leave that out, seeing as how that is one of the top issues that still exists. I didnt see Liu, Joan, Chanel, Jourdan, Ming, or any other of the "token" girls up on that stage. I thought it was nice to hear voice an always ignored concern that I didn't think white models even cared about.
No I get it. But why is it always their point of view that gets reported on??????

16-12-2012
backstage pass

^ tbh i don't think the point of view of models really gets reported on much at all, whether they are white or not. the only models we here from are the supers, and their stories aren't necessarily a reflection of the majority of models. otherwise, it is usually an agent or booker etc talking about how tough it is to 'make it' in general.

personally, i thought the speech was a little weak and lacked direction. i know it is hard to fit such a big topic into 10 minutes but i think she chopped and changed between points. one minute talking about how she was just lucky and won the genetic lottery, then about the underrepresentation of minorities in modeling, then about photoshopping etc, and then back to minorities again.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #5, behavior, model, post, posting, read