How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

I think Hanne's anger is justified. She is just saying that there should be more options backstage for the models. She's clearly outraged that the models are being shamelessly used to promote something irregardless of whether or not they smoke. Nicotine is addictive in any way and trying to get girls who don't smoke to pose and "light" up is sick and careless. If someone smokes, then that's fine its a personal choice, but don't go around manipulating and coercing people to try "healthy" alternatives. That's really gross imo. These models deserve more respect.

14-02-2013
God Save McQueen

I commend Hanne for saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSkipper View Post
I get where she's coming from - at the end of the day, these girls are over sexualized - but they're not being forced to do it. They're working for VS because they want to/want the money. It's their choice.
I agree. We live in a society that objectifies and sexualizes women regardless of what they are doing. Not posing for VS will not change how society views women. So why shouldn't a woman profit off of it if that is the box society will place her in regardless.

Sadly, Edie seems to be under the assumption ignoring it will make it go away, but it won't. Maybe they are acting for male attention, but the onus shouldn't be on them to change the system

Last edited by masquerade; 14-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.

15-02-2013
V.I.P.

I applaud Edie Campbell for saying that. My respect for her has grown as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
I wonder what Edie has to say about models posing in fashion magazine nude? I wonder if it's the same.
It most definitely isn't the same. How many heterosexual men do you see front row at the VS show each year, eyes ogling? Now how many straight men do you see reading Vogue Paris?

Last edited by Elfinkova; 15-02-2013 at 02:04 AM.

15-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfinkova View Post
It most definitely isn't the same. How many heterosexual men do you see front row at the VS show each year, eyes ogling? Now how many straight men do you see reading Vogue Paris?
Apart from the straight guys in the audience (who are invited because they are celebs), all the straight guys I know wouldn't even know the VSFS was on if it wasn't for their girlfriends posting a million pictures of the models bodies all over the internet etc and watching it on repeat for a month.

My point is that women aren't just objectified by men. And at the same time not all nudity= objectification. It is pretty hard to sell underwear with all your clothes on. And, ironically, it seems that fashion mags are increasingly trying to sell clothes with the models' clothes off.

I don't personally have a problem with it, but I can see how people can view HF and VS in different ways.

15-02-2013
V.I.P.

can someone explain to me Martha Hunt referencing Cailin Hill in her tweet about being on the MDC Hot List? Was there a prior beef or is this just a joke between them? Either way if Martha is this shady, I need to be friends with her

15-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Um, who says she doesn't have the right to comment on it? She has basically slapped the industry that nurtured her to this very point in her career where she can say these things and probably not suffer any kind of retribution at all. So no, I don't agree with her comments, and I won't respect at all what she has to say.
I think we all know the fashion industry well enough to know that "nurture" is not the best way to describe the way the industry treats models. And maybe she should be grateful to the fashion industry, but why should she be grateful to Victoria's Secret? If memory serves, VS has nothing to do with her success at all.

15-02-2013
front row

Quote:
can someone explain to me Martha Hunt referencing Cailin Hill in her tweet about being on the MDC Hot List? Was there a prior beef or is this just a joke between them? Either way if Martha is this shady, I need to be friends with her
I'd say it's a joke between them. At least judging by the runway photo of Martha that Cailin posted to Instagram, that Cailin may or may not have posted as a reason to diss Next NY.

16-02-2013
rising star

From Karmen Pedaru's thread:

Quote:
Interview with Karmen:

*** WEIGHT TALK***

What is you most beautiful body-part?
K: My favorite body-parts are my legs. I just like my legs.

Who are the beauty ideals?
K: I don't really know. Jane Birkin for sure, when she was young, and Audrey Hepburn. Now Angelina Jolie, maybe.

Who is a beautiful woman?
Individualities are what make woman beautiful. For example, Lara Stone may have a big gap between her teeth but for me she's beautiful. And Kate Moss who has short legs and now a perfect look but she's still pretty. I don't like ordinary women. As a model I admire Kate, Christy, Naomi etc. You admire people who have reached such level.

Karmen doesn't like comparing. Our Estonian girl has been compared to Kate Moss but she says she no ones new! She's Karmen. She's not an icon yet but says she hopes she becomes one.
Karmen has fallen down on a runway few times. It sucks the most when you break a heel. She says she has fallen but it was rather funny. Of course it would suck to fall in a lingerie show.
Karmen says she doesn't mind see through clothes because her job is to sell clothes and make people believe these are the clothes they have to buy. It's not her to decide what make up she wears or how her hair is done. If she has to wear see-through clothes she will do it.
Karmen says she chooses very carefully the ad campaigns because it is not good when you front every campaign, it becomes boring.
Out from work she tries to be anonymous - she doesn't have Twitter nor Facebook. Karmen does not want people to outside the industry to know anything about her. For her, the worst part is pushy fans who came to the airports early in the mornings and want to take photos.
Karmen who lost her mother in her childhood, has many fears, the biggest one is losing someone close. Last year she has been together with Riccardo, whom she met at a shooting of Gucci campaign. Their love grew out from friendship and Karmen Pedaru became Karmen Pedaru Ruini. Her name is not changed in her passport yet, but not for long.
"the proposal came from our first dinner, hehee," Says Karmen, "but officially in Ibiza in last August". The "Yes" word came easily. She knew he was the right. They had worked together for many times before they got together. Karmen's husband is an owner of an advertising company REM and a creative director of many brands like Valentino, Bulgari, Gucci, Cerruti etc.
Karmen travels about four times a week and works 14 hours a day. Sometimes more. How does she find time for love in such a busy schedule? "if I couldn't find the time, I would do something to get this time" she says.

Do you imagine yourself as a mother?
K: Yes, I have thought of children. But I still have some more years for that. As for now, I enjoy us being just together with my husband.

Being in a big world for long time, Karmen confesses that she misses herring with sour cream and boiled potatoes. She last visited Estonia in May but her homes are in Rome and New York.
Sometimes Karmen is texting with her football buddies from Kehra to as how they are doing. She always has two phones and she always answers the calls from agency, family and husband.
Karmen is a citizen of Estonia but for a question if she would ever come back to live in Estonia she answers - "You will never know".
Eesti Ekspress via yesitsdagny

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 16-02-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Weight talk

16-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
The alumna of St Paul’s Girls’ School, who is the daughter of the architect Sophie Hicks, is even more scathing about Kelly Brook, the actress and model, who recently split up with Thom Evans, the former Scotland rugby player.

“You get girls that have made a s––– tonne of money out of taking their clothes off – and largely by being a sex object,” she says. “Victoria’s Secret is like coal mining; Kelly Brook is like a coal mine. It’s not good for the general environment, but, until you find an alternative source of energy, then good for you.”
telegraph.co.uk
She said, having attended a £20,000 a year school her entire life (mummy is an architect and daddy is a fund manager!).

Last edited by Fabulyss; 16-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.

16-02-2013
V.I.P.

Does anyone watch the show on CineMoi called "Dressed For:" with Mademoiselle Agnes? anyway if you haven't it's a show where she reviews shows in an interesting and funny perspective. It goes by seasons and she was doing Lanvin Spring 2012, and Alber literally almost cancels Abbey Lee before the show because he said she couldn't walked and it looked like something was wrong with her. She ends up wearing flats along with most girls because the original shoes were hard to walk in, so Alber changed the footwear. But i couldn't believe that whatever was wrong with her drove Alber to almost cancelling her, she ended up going to the bathroom and crying but Alber seemed like such a positive person that in order for him to get that upset she must have bothered him a lot

16-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Does anyone watch the show on CineMoi called "Dressed For:" with Mademoiselle Agnes? anyway if you haven't it's a show where she reviews shows in an interesting and funny perspective. It goes by seasons and she was doing Lanvin Spring 2012, and Alber literally almost cancels Abbey Lee before the show because he said she couldn't walked and it looked like something was wrong with her. She ends up wearing flats along with most girls because the original shoes were hard to walk in, so Alber changed the footwear. But i couldn't believe that whatever was wrong with her drove Alber to almost cancelling her, she ended up going to the bathroom and crying but Alber seemed like such a positive person that in order for him to get that upset she must have bothered him a lot
didn't you post this before in the Abbey thread I think? Do you have a link so we can see it I'd never heard of that show before

16-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ Hahaha I think I posted it in Abbey's thread awhile ago. I've never seen a clip online but there might be.

16-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
She said, having attended a £20,000 a year school her entire life (mummy is an architect and daddy is a fund manager!).

17-02-2013
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
Ha, yeah, I also love how they always fail to mention her mother is a former fashion editor turned architect.

17-02-2013
front row

Quote:
I seem to recall that Abbey Lee injured her knee and required surgery some time back. I don't remember precisely when, but that could have been why she couldn't walk properly.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #5, behavior, model, post, posting, read