How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Well, all things considered, these trashy "scandals" should increase Arizona's chances of landing the Saint Laurent campaign....
I know Great hype!

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

Cameron Russell was on Nightline tonight talking about her views on the modeling industry based off of that video that was posted a while back. I was all for it though I don't understand why she is still modeling then. It kind of ruined the point

29-03-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
I don't understand why she is still modeling then. It kind of ruined the point
She said it was a convenient job for her as a student (guess, money, travel and free stuff)

V.I.P.

Cameron should tread carefully. I doubt potential clients would want to hire a model who badmouths the industry.

You know what they say: Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

29-03-2013
backstage pass

she probably don't care at this point
she used the words "cashing on" that job so I guess it really have nothing to do with her career path anyway
she makes most out of it and use her experience to say the things that need change in the industry, she will for sure be "punished" for it but I am sure she already made up her mind before doing that TED speech
I never cared for her as a model at all but I really enjoyed her speech on the industry

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larek View Post
She said it was a convenient job for her as a student (guess, money, travel and free stuff)
Really? I would think it's a difficult job to juggle while in school. All the models I know pursuing a real modeling career have to take a break from schooling. Modeling is so spontaneous with odd hours, last minute traveling for bookings and castings throughout the day. It would require skipping class very very often..too often

I understand what TREVOFASHIONISTO is saying...it kind of seems like Cameron is beating the issue to the ground without proposing a resolution. There's a bit of an existentialist attitude which makes me think she's doing it more for the publicity than a grassroots effort to help out young girls and models...

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Cameron Russell was on Nightline tonight talking about her views on the modeling industry based off of that video that was posted a while back. I was all for it though I don't understand why she is still modeling then. It kind of ruined the point
Where can we watch this?

29-03-2013
trendsetter

^
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...rains-18837124

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larek View Post
she comes from money

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
exactly. I even said it back when we had the discussion when the first video surfaced - she comes off as a hypocrite, so it's hard to actually take her seriously even though what she says is objectively correct.

29-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
exactly. I even said it back when we had the discussion when the first video surfaced - she comes off as a hypocrite, so it's hard to actually take her seriously even though what she says is objectively correct.
You're correct that she comes from a very wealthy family with many social connections.
What she's saying is actually subjectively correct but objectively incorrect. It's hard for a single model to generalize the entire modeling experience. A modeling career is a very unique experience that varies by person. Obviously, Cameron's experience in modeling is totally different from other white models who come from poor backgrounds and models who come from different countries. Her experience is totally different from someone like Iris S, Saskia, Yasmin Warsame etc.

I'm happy for Cameron's success and I'm glad she realizes a lot of it is based off legacy but it's not for every model. I don't think she realizes the fact that she's from a wealthy, socialite family gave her the upper hand at planting the seeds for her modeling career--not just her looks. At the beginning of her career, there was a lot of similar speculation as you hear with Cara today (family connections, the height issue since Cameron is very very far off from 5'10").

She's forgetting to mention that sometimes success in modeling is who you know (Lily McMenamy, Lydia Hearst, Mariacarla Boscono and all the other celebrity and socialite offspring). Many models get an "in" at an agency if a booker is a family friend or if a photographer is a family friend. But then there are girls who are a true genetic jackpot with a rare combination of body, height and face like Heidi Klum and Lara Stone (and both of them had a very different career experience than Cameron).

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

Well no, because what you're describing, which is her experience in the industry, isn't related to the message she's delivering. So that's where the hypocrisy appears. But her message in the speech - that modeling should not be a career goal for young girls - is objectively true. And one of the reasons is that anyone who crunches numbers and looks at the rate of success will tell any logical rational person to run the opposite direction. The success rate is simply not encouraging at all. And she furthers her message with a more female-empowering overall message, that there are other career paths for young girls. Which is objectively correct - your chances of finding success within another career outside of modeling is statistically far greater.

29-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Well no, because what you're describing, which is her experience in the industry, isn't related to the message she's delivering. So that's where the hypocrisy appears. But her message in the speech - that modeling should not be a career goal for young girls - is objectively true. And one of the reasons is that anyone who crunches numbers and looks at the rate of success will tell any logical rational person to run the opposite direction. The success rate is simply not encouraging at all. And she furthers her message with a more female-empowering overall message, that there are other career paths for young girls. Which is objectively correct - your chances of finding success within another career outside of modeling is statistically far greater.
Hm, I think we're talking about different things. I wasn't really pointing out any kind of hypocrisy. I think her message about modeling doesn't encompass all different kinds of modeling. It's a very narrow perspective.

It's true that the chances for any girl becoming the next Gisele Bundchen or Heidi Klum is slim. But finding success in modeling is actually much higher than one would think. Most people think of high profile high fashion editorial as the only way to be successful and that's what Cameron seems to define as "modeling" (It's also the only type of modeling covered in these "the real world of modeling" articles). But there are many many women who dabbled in more "money" type work and secondary markets. I know many models who travel on money contracts (60-80K for a 6 week trip) and use that money to launch/invest in other goals or schooling. That's one definition of success. Modeling can be realistic. Many of the models who have these "realistic" careers are models you've probably never heard of because they're not doing image work, they don't have a tfs thread, they don't shoot editorials but they're extremely successful. You can look at the agencies in markets like Hamburg, Hong Kong, LA, Miami, Chicago and think "hahaha none of these models are successful. They're just wasting their time and have no chance at becoming a real successful model." The fact that no one acknowledges these types of models as "real models" skews the success rate idea.

30-03-2013
fashion elite

I don't think Cameron is bad mouthing the entire industry. What she's saying (or at least when I understand she is saying) is that regular girls shouldn't be held to the same standards as models. That models are essentially genetic freaks and while it may seem like the grass is greener for them, it often times isn't. I think she's doing a nice service by actually going out there and saying "even I don't look like that".

02-04-2013
fashion icon

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/20...l-double-seven
Jessica sounds extremely immature...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #6, behavior, model, post, posting, read