Model Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] #8 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-09-2015
Automated Thread Manager

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Moderator's Note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please stay on topic!
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use the search function.
Thank you!

These rules apply to this thread and will be strictly enforced (Formal warning/ban).

1. Gossip is hearsay and these forums are provided for our member to discuss credible information. Therefore, we ask our members to have reliable concrete sources for any information which they may contribute to the discussions" provision.

2. Continual negative comments are not allowed.

3. tFS cannot be used to promote other forums. Doing so leads to warning/ban.

4. Off topic conversation is not allowed.

5. No fishing for information on a specific model.

6. No drug or weight items or talk.

Thanks!

Last edited by lucy92; 29-09-2015 at 03:52 PM.

24-09-2015
scenester

Joan found herself in a showdown on Instagram and responded: http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2015/09/...-claims-stolen

My thoughts on the matter is this, the girl/photographer felt she had the right to take Joan's pic at a party without asking so Joan should have the right to use the pic with HER face without asking or crediting. Just my two cents...

24-09-2015
V.I.P.

I'm not sure whose side I'm at in this story as far as posting the image without crediting it is concerned, but the finger post is disgusting.

24-09-2015
V.I.P.

what??? loads of models post pics of themselves!! seriously..that is ridic. no wonder joan is annoyed

24-09-2015
trendsetter

And he can't just post a picture of her like that. Without her consent.

24-09-2015
backstage pass

I'm on Joan's side. The picture was of her. It was probably then posted by a Joan fan account and then reposed by Joan. That photographer needs to get a grip.

25-09-2015
backstage pass

Sentiments aside, if you're looking at copyright issues, Joan might actually be in the wrong from I know of media law. Joan was at the party, and should have known that there will be photographers around. Unless she has specifically requested to not be photographed, either by telling the organisers or having said it verbally to anyone taking photos of her, then the photographer is not in the wrong as the party is a place to be seen and for photographs to be taken.

By itself, the copyright of the image belongs to the photographer, and never will it belong to the subjects being photographed unless they bought the rights to it. It's a petty issue that can be resolved easily by adding credits. Joan took it too far.

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

team Joan here too. I'm not buying the excuse. "oh poor little me, I took the pic, and I lost so much money because I couldn't sell it' - right, as if they were going to share the profit with Joan if any money was made from it.

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash92 View Post
Sentiments aside, if you're looking at copyright issues, Joan might actually be in the wrong from I know of media law. Joan was at the party, and should have known that there will be photographers around. Unless she has specifically requested to not be photographed, either by telling the organisers or having said it verbally to anyone taking photos of her, then the photographer is not in the wrong as the party is a place to be seen and for photographs to be taken.

By itself, the copyright of the image belongs to the photographer, and never will it belong to the subjects being photographed unless they bought the rights to it. It's a petty issue that can be resolved easily by adding credits. Joan took it too far.
You've pretty much summed up my thoughts, Ash! I dont find the photographer's reaction preposterous at all. And the photographer isn't obliged EVER to share their takings with Joan! This is backstage photography, not a fashion shoot. I'm actually a bit baffled at the responses above, considering this is TFS.

As much as I'm mad about Karlie, I think the article below clearly outlines the background and repercussions of failing to post credits:

http://petapixel.com/2014/08/05/happ...tes-copyright/

Last edited by Benn98; 25-09-2015 at 03:15 AM.

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

Totally agree with Ash and Benn!
Also, as far as I understand it from the article, the photographer would have been happy with Joan just crediting him. I don't see why Joan didn't and posted middle fingers instead...

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

^ I feel the same way. Why just not give credits to the photographer, she gets the publicity (and eventually more work), Joan gets to keep the picture and everybody wins?

25-09-2015
scenester

From what I read, and Joan commented on too, is that the photographer didn't just ask for credit. She sent a DM demanding to be credited and threatened Joan with a lawsuit. Her friends then flooded Joan's Instagram with really aggressive comments.

Personally, I think it's beyond stupid that anyone can take your picture, capitalize on it and expect you to owe them anything to use the picture. Joan shouldn't have asked her to trace the dots in the picture, she should have told her straight up to go eff herself!

25-09-2015
trendsetter

I was a model and I'm now a photographer and although I understand the "law thing", I'm against it. Photographers should stop profiting on others work like they own it. Everyday I see photographers tagging the entire team minus the model. It's disgusting. The entire team was there. In this case, being it a party picture can he use the picture in his own page? For example, when I'm shooting shows I can't use the pictures anywhere but the website page for where I'm working for. Not even on instagram.

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

Joan is the most insufferable model of them all. Just calm down, dear. You aren't even famous outside tfs.

25-09-2015
V.I.P.

It's hard to really pick a side here without knowing what exactly the photographer said to Joan, but asking for a credit is certainly not unreasonable. Especially for an unknown photographer who could potentially make/lose money from it. I doubt Joan would be so charitable if it were her earnings at stake. Posting that middle finger photo doesn't help her cause either.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #7, #8, behavior, model, post, posting, read