How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
19-07-2012
  16
V.I.P.
 
LagerfeldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hollywood
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
It's funny how you guys care so much about her modeling career or models' careers in general for that matter and even though she's pregnant you can't stop mentioning that she just had her comeback. She obviously doesn't care...
Obviously she doesn't care. I mean we are a bunch of admirers of her work and nothing but that.

I don't know, but at 20 years old, I find that a bit too young to get pregnant, but to each his own.

__________________
Forever and Ever: Snejana/Anabela/Natasha/Anja/Britt/Kasia/Sasha/Magdalena/Raquel/Hanne G./Freja/Mariacarla/Anna S./Tatiana/Katie F./Shu Pei/Erin W./Karlie/Bette/Constance/Elsa S.TUMBLR BLOG
  Reply With Quote
 
19-07-2012
  17
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sur la plage
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,418
Perhaps she's older than just 20 years old, when it comes to models we never know.

  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  18
scenester
 
mimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 62
If she is 20 there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, she isn't a teenager. If she is happy and she even called her baby a miracle, we should all be happy for her.

  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  19
V.I.P.
 
LagerfeldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hollywood
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
If she is 20 there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, she isn't a teenager. If she is happy and she even called her baby a miracle, we should all be happy for her.
I'm definitely happy for her
As someone as young as her, I have so many things I want to accomplish before settling down. I have my education, career, and children are the last thing on my mind so my somewhat concern stems from this. Nonetheless, I'm happy for her.

__________________
Forever and Ever: Snejana/Anabela/Natasha/Anja/Britt/Kasia/Sasha/Magdalena/Raquel/Hanne G./Freja/Mariacarla/Anna S./Tatiana/Katie F./Shu Pei/Erin W./Karlie/Bette/Constance/Elsa S.TUMBLR BLOG
  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  20
fashion elite
 
LabelWhore4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,865
I'm surprised that there isn't as much hand-wringing and moral judgement as when Jourdan got pregnant. Such double standards here I see.

__________________
There's Chanel Iman....... then there's everyone else.
  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  21
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,764
Most of us knew who Jourdan was, cared and knew her age (sort of), so there was an opinion... I don't remember a single cover by Ymre, I actually kept reading 'Yfke' and figured it was Yfke Sturm, who's 31 . I had to google Ymre and remind myself she was in that Prada ad next to like 15 models some years ago.. so my only thought (if any) is 'congrats!'. Call it double standards if you want, but it's more indifference..

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.
  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  22
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
I'm surprised that there isn't as much hand-wringing and moral judgement as when Jourdan got pregnant. Such double standards here I see.

Hmm, not so fast. Jourdan snatched up a Vogue US cover just a few months before her pregnancy was announced, she was at the ultimate height of her career. On her way to become a so-called household name. This was a sensation because she (as a so-called "non-causacian" model) achieved a career level that remains beyond reach even for the most successful "Causacian" models in high fashion. And hence, she had so much more to "lose" than Ymre who is much more of a medium-high-fashion-model and probably able to continue working on that level when she gave birth. Not saying that Ymre is unsuccesful, she's been booking a good amount of medium commercial work with a few runway/editorial highlights but Jourdan's booking charts were pure platin back then and she had an enormously broad audience for a high fashion model. Unlike Ymre whose name recognition is limited to her TFS thread and Amsterdam's local press off and on. So of course people were much more involved and worried in Jourdan's case. Plus, Jourdan was 19 back then, which is still a year younger than Ymre. I guess if a real star in the making got pregrant (aka Karlie Kloss, Lindsey Wixson, Jac), people would literally flip out again and come along with the moral issues like they did back then when Jourdan's pregnancy hit the news. Also, people are kind of getting used to it since quite a few models seem to be able to handle their role as mothers and models quite well together.

  Reply With Quote
20-07-2012
  23
front row
 
Vega Magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Carolina
Gender: homme
Posts: 440
I find it quite tasteless to say that she's too young. All that matters is that she and her boyfriend are happy. There's more to life than just her modeling career, and if she wants to put that on hold and start a family with her boyfriend, that's totally okay. The fact that a young couple starting a family together is viewed as potentially not a good thing is kind of sad too, especially when the only potential negative mentioned is that her modeling career might be hurt.

__________________
Just say no to Terry Richardson.
  Reply With Quote
22-07-2012
  24
fashion elite
 
LabelWhore4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Hmm, not so fast. Jourdan snatched up a Vogue US cover just a few months before her pregnancy was announced, she was at the ultimate height of her career. On her way to become a so-called household name. This was a sensation because she (as a so-called "non-causacian" model) achieved a career level that remains beyond reach even for the most successful "Causacian" models in high fashion. And hence, she had so much more to "lose" than Ymre who is much more of a medium-high-fashion-model and probably able to continue working on that level when she gave birth. Not saying that Ymre is unsuccesful, she's been booking a good amount of medium commercial work with a few runway/editorial highlights but Jourdan's booking charts were pure platin back then and she had an enormously broad audience for a high fashion model. Unlike Ymre whose name recognition is limited to her TFS thread and Amsterdam's local press off and on. So of course people were much more involved and worried in Jourdan's case. Plus, Jourdan was 19 back then, which is still a year younger than Ymre. I guess if a real star in the making got pregrant (aka Karlie Kloss, Lindsey Wixson, Jac), people would literally flip out again and come along with the moral issues like they did back then when Jourdan's pregnancy hit the news. Also, people are kind of getting used to it since quite a few models seem to be able to handle their role as mothers and models quite well together.
I thinks its a bit disingenuous to say that the fact that Ymre is less "successful" than Jourdan was the reason for peoples reactions. Plenty of young women have gotten pregnant when they were at the apex of their careers but they were spared the vitriol and judgement that Jourdan and her boyfriend got.

__________________
There's Chanel Iman....... then there's everyone else.
  Reply With Quote
22-07-2012
  25
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
I thinks its a bit disingenuous to say that the fact that Ymre is less "successful" than Jourdan was the reason for peoples reactions. Plenty of young women have gotten pregnant when they were at the apex of their careers but they were spared the vitriol and judgement that Jourdan and her boyfriend got.[/B]


I can't think of any other (contemporary) model that was still in her teens and at the height of her career (on a level like Jourdan) when she got pregnant. People are simply getting used to the whole pregnancy thing.


Last edited by daniellat; 24-07-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: No politics, please
  Reply With Quote
22-07-2012
  26
fashion elite
 
LabelWhore4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,865
^Natalia Vodianova. She was married (at 19) but as we know now the circumstances weren't favorable. She's one of many.

__________________
There's Chanel Iman....... then there's everyone else.
  Reply With Quote
23-07-2012
  27
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,764
^ Bad example to validate a point on what appears to be yet another accusation of racism, based on reaction versus non-reaction, which you have decided to categorize as positive reaction.

Natalia in 2001 (year of her pregnancy) was no one, just like Arizona Muse was no one when she had her son in 2009, so the reaction then was like reacting now to a pregnant Viktoria Persson: either you don't react or you wish her the best, whoever that is.

The only pregnancy that vaguely resembles Jourdan Dunn's is Liya Kebede's, she had just become a Gucci girl when bam, pregnant, except she was 21, had been married to a prominent businessman for a while and most importantly, had what Natalia Vodianova also enjoyed later in that year and what does not exist now, not even with Prada, Givenchy, CK and Balenciaga exclusives combined: Tom Ford's Midas/monopolist touch.. nobody cared if you got pregnant, had fake boobs and fake lips or no arm as long as Tom Ford still approved, reason why soon after their pregnancy, their careers exploded (May 2002: Natalia appearing in an American publication for the first time ever while Liya landed the cover of Vogue Paris).

You may insist all you want in overlooking data and pretending that a theory on double standards you've ventured to make based on superficial and lazy references is automatically confirmed by your own observations, while everything else is "disingenuous". Truth is, Ymre's career hasn't promised anything since 2009, when Jourdan got pregnant she had fulfilled just about every model's dream and ideal of success, she just needed more time to solidify these achievements into one household name.. which despite steady success, she's still struggling to do, and yes, her pregnancy did affect that.. not the process itself but the timing it requires in an industry that a) is hard to break through, b) moves at the speed of light and c) requires models that are, mostly on their own, able to redirect all the attention to themselves and establish their image. Jourdan arrived at the dawn of the Supreme girls with healthy feminine looks, was able to open doors that had not been opened since the turn of the century, became a sensation, got everyone's attention, looked like she had something to say, grabbed a microphone.. and then took a break.

Hope that settles it (please).

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.

Last edited by MulletProof; 23-07-2012 at 06:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote
24-07-2012
  28
fashion elite
 
LabelWhore4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,865
Um no, It is disingenuous to pretend that there are not different standards and stereotypes for people based on race. Take a look at the comments on threads the next time a black celeb is on a major cover. Word's like trashy and cheap will be a dime a dozen, I can promise you that. People said horrible things about Jourdan and I'm sure they were not all out of concern for her career. The world is still a very racist place and all of us TFS members live in it. These comments aren't formed a in a bubble and I stand by what I said.

__________________
There's Chanel Iman....... then there's everyone else.
  Reply With Quote
24-07-2012
  29
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,764
You don't have to promise me anything, I've been here for quite a while and know what threads look like, just like what tends to be popular/unpopular and based on what. And although I've been here, I also uhh.. exist, I know racism is suffered in the world, just like exploitation, classicism, ignorance and media/political manipulation on all levels of education, with no purpose other than fragmenting through tension, masking it as awareness, an "awareness" that in no way will ever sustain true integration for as long as it lacks the guts to generate self-criticism and confront bigotry, either traditional bigotry or the kind that relies on accusations.

Good that you stand by what you believe in anyway.. racism discussed, wish granted, we can now turn the page and let the guys go back to discuss Ymre's pregnancy.

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.
  Reply With Quote
30-07-2012
  30
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 138
Living in britain i recall much of the criticism of jourdans boyfriend being entirely appropriate. I cant imagine any of you would want your daughter getting pregnant by him. I dont know much about this girl, shes obvs nowhere near where jourdan was career wise but it seems shes not shacked up with someone who would be better off in prison so i think shes doing pretty good.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
birth, gave, girl, model, pregnant, stiekema, update, ymre
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.