How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-11-2010
V.I.P.

and that would be because....

A....you know how powerful the people who run this business are.... and that all their gophers are not going to rat on them for fear of losing their paycheck....or being black listed....but bravo for them for taking a stand even if it's all shoved under the carpet like everything else that's corrupt in the fashion industry......

B....their former agency is going to rush forward with a 'settlement' and everyone involved is going to play nice again.

28-11-2010
God Save McQueen

IA with model-mom on the risk they are taking to their careers by this suit. Not to mention that if it isn't settled quickly and quietly it can end up very long and drawn out. Lawyers aren't cheap.

29-11-2010
Confused & Bewildered

If your account says the agency spent $178.84 on Fed-Ex on your behalf during the month of May, you just have to eat it, because they certainly aren't going to show you a receipt.

You have to trust your agency completely with all of your financial affairs — "trust" being the operative word, because not much protects you, as an independent contractor in a largely unregulated labor market. Although a model should technically be allowed to request to see her agency account at any time, the typical modeling contract pre-authorizes the agency to make whatever deductions it feels necessary without seeking any model's consent.

Why would anybody sign a contract like that?

Why hasn't the New York Attorney General banned contracts like that?

29-11-2010
backstage pass

^ agreed. There should be organizations or laws that protect models imo

29-11-2010
tfs star

They should have a union, is what they should have.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversharer View Post
Agreed! New girls come into the industry regularly, and it might have happened to many other models besides the 3 of them. Perhaps many are unwilling to speak out in fear of losing their jobs and sent home with nothing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that if Karmen loses the case, it wont have repurcussions on her career.

30-11-2010
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversharer View Post
Danish models actually have a union. But OK, we practically invented unions and associations

we were in love

30-11-2010
Looking Up

Don't unions generally cause more trouble than what they're worth? I think I agree more with what Echoes said about the Attorney General banning gutsy contracts.

30-11-2010
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Don't unions generally cause more trouble than what they're worth? I think I agree more with what Echoes said about the Attorney General banning gutsy contracts.
Unions is the reason we have some of the highest wages in the world in Denmark

The Danish models use their union a lot - they have courses on self-esteem, they talk about weight issues, about how to handle school and stress and so on.

we were in love

30-11-2010
Looking Up

^ I'm probably biased then, because the unions we have here do nothing but annoy the sh!t out of employers and companies and generally lead to nowhere.

30-11-2010
tfs star

Unions are the reason why my father has been protected at his job for just more than two decades now. The Boeing union is one of the strongest in my state and it provided my family with rock solid dental and medical insurance as well as job security for my father for nearly my entire 23 years. He's near retirement age now and the retirement pensions that the union secured for their people are just about kick in for him; he's looking forward to buying a new piece or property and retiring in peace. A well managed and monitored union is a very, very good thing.

don't look down

And at the very moment that Scandinavian unions were mentioned, I read this story:

Quote:
A boss in Norway has ordered all female staff to wear red bracelets during their periods - to explain why they are using the toilet more often.

The astonishing demand was revealed in report by a workers' union into 'tyrannical' toilet rules in Norwegian companies. The study claimed businesses were becoming obsessed with lost productivity due to employees spending too much time answering the call of nature.

It found 66 per cent of managers made staff ask them for an electronic key card to gain access to the toilets so they could monitor breaks. Toilets in one in three companies were placed under video-surveillance, while other firms made staff sign a toilet 'visitors book', the report by the Parat union said.

It added: 'But the most extreme action was taken by one manager who made women having their period wear a red bracelet to justify more frequent trips to the loo. Women quite justifiably feel humiliated by being tagged in this way, so that all their colleagues are aware of this intimate detail of their private life.'

The report, which did not name the firm imposing red bracelets on female staff, has now been passed on to Norway's chief consumer ombudsman Bjorn Erik Thon.

He said: 'These are extreme cases of workplace monitoring, but they are real. Toilet Codes relating to mentrual cycles are clear violations of privacy and is very insulting to the people concerned. I hope and believe that this is not representative of the Norwegian working life in general.

'We receive many complaints about monitoring in the workplace, which is becoming a growing problem as it is so often being used for something other than what it was originally intended for. We will be carrying out a full review of the rules surrounding employment and privacy over the coming year.'

I've worked in places where union membership has been strongly 'discouraged' by the employer because of the trouble it causes to their plans to exploit their staff according to their personal whim.

Looking Up

I know this is off topic, but it just so happens that some employers are actually good people who don't abuse their employees at any given opportunity, and if they are then just quit. Unions can be just as exploitative as employers. Anyways this is severely off topic.

30-11-2010
fashion elite

What about Valeria Kelava? She left Next aswell , so she did get her money?

30-11-2010
fashion insider

Jezebel posted a fascinating follow-up article.

Ever wanted to know how much a top model does (or doesn't) get paid. Anna Jagodzinska's statement of outstanding payments owed, which she filed at Manhattan Supreme Court:

jezebel.com

Shows how much is being deducted in taxes and commission, plus how little Vogue pays for editorials.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cywinska, jagodzinska, management, models, pedaru, sue