How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-05-2005
V.I.P.

^ She's fast on jumping to conclusions. Looks like she cares too much about how people are going to perceive her and judge her.

It's like the kid who's X and always reminding people that he really is X. How lame is that.

09-05-2005
barcode

Hmm, G.I. Jane redux.

09-05-2005
trendsetter

My grandfather had a quote: A truly beautiful person will still look beautiful even if you shave their head. I think she can pull it off. It must feel so weird, though!

And about her assumptions: I don't think it was immature at all! I know too many people who would automattically assume one or more of those things about her, if they didn't know it was for a movie. She wasn't jumping to conclusions, IMO.

trendsetter

THANKS, Kimair!

She's also going to be losing weight for the role, so expect "Is Natalie Gay - AND Anorexic?" headlines.

09-05-2005
within an embrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
^ She's fast on jumping to conclusions. Looks like she cares too much about how people are going to perceive her and judge her.

It's like the kid who's X and always reminding people that he really is X. How lame is that.
I think most people do care, and it's even more prevalent in the movie industry, where your looks and your actions are constantly scrutinized. She has a good point to be wondering right away what people might think.

I don't think it's lame, it's just what humans do. If you're constantly under close scrutiny, and did something like this, you'd wonder what other people would ultimately think, not just your friends or family. The average person's appearence isn't speculated upon and dissected half as much as a celebrity's appearence is on a daily basis by so many people, that I think she's fully justified to have a slightly different viewpoint than most of us.

09-05-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misako
I think most people do care, and it's even more prevalent in the movie industry, where your looks and your actions are constantly scrutinized. She has a good point to be wondering right away what people might think.

I don't think it's lame, it's just what humans do. If you're constantly under close scrutiny, and did something like this, you'd wonder what other people would ultimately think, not just your friends or family. The average person's appearence isn't speculated upon and dissected half as much as a celebrity's appearence is on a daily basis by so many people, that I think she's fully justified to have a slightly different viewpoint than most of us.
I agree People read too much into celebrity quotes/actions.

10-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misako

it's true, especially with the added factor of tabloid magazines and such, I think it would be normal for her to try and predict the odd things people might say about her doing this

front row

No biggie: she still looks beautiful. Besides, its ONLY hair...it'll grow back soon enough.

10-05-2005
Day Dreaming

First of all, she's getting paid for it. It's for a role, if she wanted the part it more then likely involved for her to shave her head. Its been done before.. Remember alien??? Regardless if it suits her or not, she got paid and she's in a movie. I'm not suprised that she commented on the cancer patient because gossip is very much a part of her daily routine and the nazi comment is explainable as well her being israelie... Some moron out there may say something as stupid as such.
Whether she wears a pink wig or shaves her head... We are still discussing it! It may already be worth it for her and the movie her shaved head is advertising

10-05-2005
backstage pass

she can pull it off, in the way Demi Moore also did.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Well, if anybody has the facial features to pull off a shaved head, I suppose Natalie Portman would be among them... But still.

10-05-2005
V.I.P.

I wanna see pictures I can't see the one Kimair posted

backstage pass

Hmmm I can't see that pic either!

10-05-2005
girl who fell to earth

I think it's great that she shaved her head . . . so brave, even if she is getting paid for it. I would almost welcome an opportunity like that to shave my head because I often wonder what it would look like but I see no real reason to do it.

I also don't think that her comments about people perceiving her as a lesbian or a neo-nazi are ignorant, because I know that I would probably entertain the same thoughts. A few months ago I cut my hair shorter than it has ever been after having long hair for years and was definitely concerned about people perceiving me as butch because I wasn't sure how short it would be . . .

10-05-2005
windowshopping

hold on a second there
yes, but do you remember the letter she wrote back to the magazine when she found out that she was mis quoted!!! and that people misinterpreted her....she is sooo eloquent and smart, dont kid yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair
sometimes she says the weirdest stuff...remember in allure when she said she knew what it felt like to be black??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
head, natalie, portman, shaves