How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2007
trendsetter

i think wonder consists of something that took a lot of effort to build or it's not entirely clear how people could even build something like it. I think Great Wall of China qualifies, while Statue of Liberty does not. There are taller and older statues in the world, it's just that this one became so famous.

08-07-2007
V.I.P.

There's disappointment in Australia that the Sydney Opera House didn't make the list. I'm Australian and i don't think it deserved it.

Christ the redeemer makes me emotional when i see it - it looks so beautiful 'watching' over Brazil. Even though i'm not particularly religious..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city girl View Post
Christ the redeemer makes me emotional when i see it - it looks so beautiful 'watching' over Brazil. Even though i'm not particularly religious..
I completely agree!!! The very sight of it touches something inside. ah well...maybe for certain people only

08-07-2007
What fresh hell is this.?

^I'm not that impressed by it. But maybe that is because I have yet to see it IRL...
I'm so very glad, Petra made the list
Also a list without the great wall of China would have been wrong, though I don't think anybody doubted that it was supposed to be there...

Though I would have loved to tee the Hanging Gardens o fBabylon, It must have been an amazing sight.

still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post

I don't know.. I could trade that for Chris The Redeemer, not trying to start a debate or anything, but I see it more under the same group as the Eiffel tower and the statue of Liberty monuments.. it's beautiful symbolism but not something that astonishes me as a man-made wonder in any way.

the marketing campaign for votes in brasil was fantastic. the major newspaper had right on its homepage for weeks all the info with a link to vote and a countdown showing how much time was left to vote, constantly encouraging and reminding people to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestess View Post
Is the statue of Christ the Redeemer and the Statue of Liberty really all that different? If the statue of Christ has been voted one of the new wonders there's really no reason why Liberty couldn't have made it too. Personally I don't think either statue is particularly what I would call a "Wonder of the World".
to me there is no comparison, but not so much for the actual statues but more for the surrounding geographic beauty of the cristo. its position, high on a mountain looming over the city, combined with the spectacular view from the corcovado, are really the whole appeal.

Last edited by mundodabolsa; 08-07-2007 at 09:26 AM.
08-07-2007
tfs star

It's a shame no one has ever seen the Hanging Gardens...I learned about it in a History class and it sounds amazing...

08-07-2007
the crying of humanity

^ I second that. I also would have enjoyed seeing the Lighthouse of Alexandria or Colossus of Rhodes in person.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura
beforehand we took a wrong turn and ended up driving up the side of Vesuvius >_____>;
Now there's an interesting conversation starter! "So...want to hear about the time I drove up the side of Vesuvius?"

fashion elite

^hahahaha karma to that:p

08-07-2007
rising star

this is such heinous appropriation.
the seven wonders of the world will never change, though they may have crumbled with time. (this is my firm opinion.)
however, the whole point of the Greeks (to whom i most respectfully tip my hat) writing the seven wonders was to serve the purpose of their time. one cannot presume to rewrite the wonders from a vantage point 2000 years ahead. it is so irritatingly presumptuous and pretentious that i must reread Homer in the original Greek as compensation. moreover, it was merely the Greeks (again, wild applause) setting up a brochure for the must-see edifices of the day. they were capitalizing on the awe of the unwashed masses thousands of years before anyone else! and this poo-poo twenty-first century list and its purpose is so ironical in every sense.
i guess i'm just depressed that 2000 years have past since 5th Century Athens. depressed and bitter.

08-07-2007
V.I.P.

The view is just amazing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIO-01-Cristo.jpg (41.3 KB, 5 views)

08-07-2007
V.I.P.

in portuguese =D

- Christ the Redeemer >> Cristo Redentor
- Machu Picchu >> Machu Picchu
- Chichen Itza >> Chichen Itza
- Great Wall >> Muralha Da China
- Petra >> Colinas de Pedra
- Colosseum >> Coliseu
- Taj Mahal >> Taj Mahal

08-07-2007
God Save McQueen

this just seems dumb and arbitrary. what gives anyone the thought that they can just change the seven wonders of the world, especially this Bernard Weber character. Leave history alone

08-07-2007
V.I.P.

I'm really glad for the Colosseum and Taj Mahal, but where's Acropolis?

08-07-2007
tfs star

It's an ok list, but The Acropolis should have made it.

None of these are as great as the original ones however, it's a shame they're all destroyed (except the pyramids).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
announced, wonders, world