How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2007
V.I.P.

So when people say "seven wonders" now, do they have to specify which set?

Quote:
this just seems dumb and arbitrary. what gives anyone the thought that they can just change the seven wonders of the world, especially this Bernard Weber character. Leave history alone
Ditto.

But satisfaction brought it back

08-07-2007
front row

i also wish the hanging gardens of babylon still existed. it seems like such a beautiful place!

even from that picture drawn that is in most people's mind it seems beautiful..

im contemplating about it right now. of course i wish the other wonders of the world still existed today<3

09-07-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
So when people say "seven wonders" now, do they have to specify which set?
People would have to say "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World," just like they've always done.

V.I.P.

xPedro, don't forget to credit your image otherwise it will have to be removed.

back on the topic, history is not untouchable IMO, history unfortunately doesn't write itself, it's conveniently written by (often biased or limited in knowledge/discoveries) humans. at the time when the first 7 wonders were listed, a lot of countries (like Jordan or those in Latin America I would suspect) were in very turbulent times, the last thing in everyone's minds was promoting their constructions or providing credit/budget to whoever was digging in their backyard.. it seems only fair that with relatively stable conditions now, more facts and advanced archaeological work, they just want to 'officially' update their own achievements. that's how I understand it anyway, it seems illogical for me to keep things steady just because they were made in the past, that doesn't make them any wiser.. I have a sudden deja vu of those who refuse to update or change countries' constitutions.. like they were written by god or some supernatural force.

having said that, I do feel like it was a stupid move allowing everyone to vote and making it all an internet event, it turns it into a very sided contest about those who have the means/time to vote and those who don't, plus a lot of people vote by mere 'patriotism', which is always a good blindfold.. why not just leave that to the experts in the field?.

Naturellement pulpeuse

The Taj Mahal is obscenely boring, not to mention unpleasantly bulbous, I have no idea what people find wondrous about it. The Alhambra is an incomparably more beautiful example of Islamic architecture. The vote seems slightly pointless as most people have never seen half these things - the fact that Angkor Wat wasn't voted for just highlights this ignorance. Could anyone find a circular lump of stone like the Colosseum more wondrous than Angkor Wat after having seen both? Pish.

V.I.P.

^ The Colosseum was kinda blah. Maybe if I had seen a lionfight...

Zen
V.I.P.

why these rediculous lists? So many amazing things out there to make lists.

09-07-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Could anyone find a circular lump of stone like the Colosseum more wondrous than Angkor Wat after having seen both?
Calling a structure that took years of determination and effort a "lump of stone" seems a bit ignorant, if you ask me. I'm sure the Angkor Wat is more dazzling in appearance than the Colosseum, but you have to realize that this list was not meant to be based on looks alone.

fashion insider

I love making lists.

10-07-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
The New Seven Wonders of the World were announced tonight and are as followed:

- Christ the Redeemer
- Machu Picchu
- Chichen Itza
- Great Wall
- Petra
- Colosseum
- Taj Mahal
You've got to be kidding me.

The voting system for this was so obviously flawed that I'd be surprised if anyone with more than two braincells would take this list seriously.

10-07-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The voting system for this was so obviously flawed that I'd be surprised if anyone with more than two braincells would take this list seriously.
Yea..that's true

So many people I know (including myself) didn't even know this "election" was even going on!

10-07-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
Calling a structure that took years of determination and effort a "lump of stone" seems a bit ignorant, if you ask me.
Oh, I'm sorry, how ignorant of me, I didn't realise the Seven Wonders of the World were selected on 'effort'... Perhaps someone should have given the runners up coloured lollypops to let them know their 'effort' was appreciated.

V.I.P.

Well, I voted on these and I was really disappointed that Cambodia's Angkor Wat didn't make the list. I've been there and it's quite certainly one of the most utterly spectacular sights I've ever seen.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, how ignorant of me, I didn't realise the Seven Wonders of the World were selected on 'effort'... Perhaps someone should have given the runners up coloured lollypops to let them know their 'effort' was appreciated.
If you read my original post, you would have seen that I wrote "this list was not meant to be based on looks alone," which implies that the Seven Wonders were selected on effort and looks, among other qualities.

backstage pass

i'm actually glad that they created a new list..the first one seemed really biased towards Ancient Greece and the new one acknowledges other civilizations as well. About time imo.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
announced, wonders, world