How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2007
the crying of humanity

New Seven Wonders of the World Announced
Hopefully this is the right section for this.

The New Seven Wonders of the World were announced tonight and are as followed:

- Christ the Redeemer
- Machu Picchu
- Chichen Itza
- Great Wall
- Petra
- Colosseum
- Taj Mahal

The new wonders were chosen due to only one of the originals (Pyramids of Giza) still existing. Here is the link to the project's website for more information.

07-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

Petra!

But this seems to be promoted by someone in particular...

Quote:
Bernard Weber has had a varied career as a filmmaker, museum curator, aviator, and explorer. Fluent in five languages, the Swiss-born Canadian Weber has spent most of his life traveling the world and experiencing the rare sense of adventure and inspiration that comes from meeting different cultures.
The article goes on here: http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=39

Last edited by SomethingElse; 07-07-2007 at 09:56 PM.
07-07-2007
the crying of humanity

Here are images of the new wonders:

Great Wall; Petra

Christ the Redeemer; Machu Picchu

Chichen Itza; Colosseum

Taj Mahal; Pyramids of Giza (named an Honorary Wonder)

wikipedia.org

scenester

what ones are not on the list anymore?

07-07-2007
fashion elite

The Original List- The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World

Since ancient times, numerous “seven wonders” lists have been created. The content of these lists tends to vary, and none is definitive. The seven wonders that are most widely agreed upon as being in the original list are the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, which was compiled by ancient Greek historians and is thus confined to the most magnificent structures known to the ancient Greek world. Of all the Ancient Wonders, the pyramids alone survive.

The Pyramids of Egypt are three pyramids at Giza, outside modern Cairo. The largest pyramid, built by Khufu (Cheops), a king of the fourth dynasty, had an original estimated height of 482 ft (now approximately 450 ft). The base has sides 755 ft long. It contains 2,300,000 blocks; the average weight of each is 2.5 tons. Estimated date of completion is 2680 B.C.

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar around 600 B.C. to please his queen, Amuhia. They are also associated with the mythical Assyrian queen Semiramis. Archeologists surmise that the gardens were laid out atop a vaulted building, with provisions for raising water. The terraces were said to rise from 75 to 300 ft.

The Statue of Zeus (Jupiter) at Olympia was made of gold and ivory by the Greek sculptor Phidias (5th century B.C.). Reputed to be 40 ft high, the statue has been lost without a trace, except for reproductions on coins.

The Temple of Artemis (Diana) at Ephesus was begun about 350 B.C., in honor of a non-Hellenic goddess who later became identified with the Greek goddess of the same name. The temple, with Ionic columns 60 ft high, was destroyed by invading Goths in A.D. 262.

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus was erected by Queen Artemisia in memory of her husband, King Mausolus of Caria in Asia Minor, who died in 353 B.C. Some remains of the structure are in the British Museum. This shrine is the source of the modern word mausoleum.

The Colossus at Rhodes was a bronze statue of Helios (Apollo), about 105 ft high. The work of the sculptor Chares, who reputedly labored for 12 years before completing it in 280 B.C., it was destroyed during an earthquake in 224 B.C.

The Pharos (Lighthouse) of Alexandria was built by Sostratus of Cnidus during the 3rd century B.C. on the island of Pharos off the coast of Egypt. It was destroyed by an earthquake in the 13th century.
(Some lists include the Walls of Babylon in place of the second or seventh wonder.)

Text Source- Infoplease
Picture Source- www.faculty.fairfield.edu

Last edited by Rochas; 07-07-2007 at 10:17 PM.
07-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

The link seanutbutter posted tells all about the Seven Wonders of the World:

Quote:
The commonly known Seven Ancient Wonders of the World were all man-made monuments, selected by Philon of Byzantium in 200 B.C. Today, only the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt remain.

His selection of wonders was essentially a travel guide for fellow Athenians, and the stunning sites were all located around the Mediterranean basin, the then-known world.

The monuments he chose, to be remembered in perpetuity, were:

The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Temple of Artemis
The Statue of Zeus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
The Pyramids of Egypt
All had been built between 2,500 B.C. and 200 B.C.

Now, just as Pierre de Coubertin revived the Olympic Games in 1896 with his modern version of the competition, New7Wonders founder Bernard Weber is seeking to revive the concept of the 7 Wonders of the World with this ambitious global campaign, the New 7 Wonders of the World.
The key difference is that, this time around, they will not be chosen by one man, but rather by millions of people all over the world.

The new wonders that are selected will be the people’s choices, and they will be drawn from the earliest time that humankind walked upon the earth up through the year 2000.

It is, therefore, possible that the only survivor of the original 7 Wonders of the World, the Pyramids at Giza, could be chosen for a second time, taking them well into a third millenium of fame!
new7wonders.com

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition2
what ones are not on the list anymore?
None were taken off; this is simply a modern version of the Seven Wonders of the World list.

V.I.P.

I hate how people try to 'rename' or 'replace' the 7 wonders over and over again.

Just leave them alone.

But satisfaction brought it back
07-07-2007
fashion elite

^They've never replaced the original 7 wonders actually. This is the first time, and that's why it's such a big deal.

07-07-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
I hate how people try to 'rename' or 'replace' the 7 wonders over and over again.

Just leave them alone.
In some ways I agree with you, though for the most part I'm in disagreement.

The original seven wonders are long gone, save for the Pyramids of Giza. They were destructed thousands of years ago; we have few drawings of most of them. Even with all the technology in the world, we hardly have an idea of what the wonders were actually like. With that being said, imagine what it would be like if we didn't replace the seven wonders. Just imagine what people hundreds of years into the future would be thinking. They'd have little to no idea what the Temple of Artemis was!

Because we are making an updated, modern list of structures that are still standing, people in the future will know what we're talking about. They'll know what the Taj Mahal is; they'll have thousands of pictures. By making a new list, we're actually doing people of the future a favor.

I hope this made some sense.

fashion elite

^That's if Earth even EXISTS hundreds of years from now, with global warming and all.......

07-07-2007
fashion insider

o_o That's nothing like the 7 wonders I grew up with....NOTHING like it. Do they have a different version for kids in the UK or something? The one I grew up with and the ones my friends all know include the great wall of china, the great barrier reef and some other things which are a bit hazy for me right now...:x

07-07-2007
fashion elite

^There's a few different lists actually.

-The seven Ancient Wonders (the ones i listed)

-The seven wonders of the middle ages

-Modern Wonders

- Channel Tunnel-Strait of Dover, between England and France
-CN Tower (Toronto, Canada)
-Empire State Building (NYC, United States)
-Golden Gate Bridge (San Fransisco, United States)
-Itaipu Dam (between Brazil and Paraguay)
-Delta Works (Netherlands, Europe)
-Panama Canal (Panama)

-Tourist Travel Wonders

-Natural Wonders

-Underwater Wonders
And now the new seven wonders...

Source of Information- Wikipedia

07-07-2007
V.I.P.

I like these choices, but I'd have thought the Acropolis would've made it.

On a side note, some of the finalists were awful. The US had the Statue of Liberty (which I wouldn't call a wonder) and Australia had the Sydney Opera House (which was built all of thirty-four years ago)...

07-07-2007
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
o_o That's nothing like the 7 wonders I grew up with....NOTHING like it. Do they have a different version for kids in the UK or something? The one I grew up with and the ones my friends all know include the great wall of china, the great barrier reef and some other things which are a bit hazy for me right now...:x
That's the one I knew...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
announced, wonders, world