How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-06-2005
backstage pass

good washington post article.

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

^Thanks for the article

Quote:
On Wednesday, the New York Daily News weighed in with a different version of the story, saying Winfrey arrived just after the store had closed at 6:30 p.m. and there was no doubt about her identity. She saw shoppers still milling about inside and asked the Hermes staff at the door if she could dash in to make a quick purchase. A clerk said no, and so did a store manager.
Quote:
A spokeswoman at Winfrey's Harpo Productions confirmed the Daily News version of the story.
Hermes closes its door at 6:30. That is store policy. Just because Oprah is a celebrity doesn't mean that she deserves to be let in at whatever time she wants. Also the north African comment was denied by both sides.

24-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusia
The North African comment has been denied by both sides ( Washington Post).
Excellent article!!

24-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Excellent, Excellent article!!!

I don't think OPrah to be unreasonable. She has built a fortune because of it.
I guess we have to wait till September

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

i think this has been blown way out of proportion... it's only a big deal and so humiliating to her because she's a star. for anyone else, if they've closed and you didn't make it in time, then tough. i think an apology is only necessary if she was truly snubbed by the staff

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

^agreed. After reading what really happened, Hermes has no reason to even issue and apology.

24-06-2005
fashion insider

Curious----'A problem with North Africans'? Lord, what kind of comment is that? Doesn't North Africa consist of countries like Egypt, Morocco, Libya, ect.? I hate racial slurs, but why didn't they just say 'Africans' instead of 'North Africans'?
Whoever made that up doesn't have a geographically clueless

Just trying to think of something else to talk about, hahaha

24-06-2005
front row

They just talked about this on E!, what they said what TOTALLY DIFFERENT. they said that Oprah was denied entrance because she arrived at the store 15 mintues after the store was closed so the staff denied her entrance. they didn't bring race into it AT ALL. The show kind of made it out like Oprah just threw a hissy fit b/c she wasn't allowed in and she's a celebrity.

That was really weird.

Last edited by cocomonkey4; 24-06-2005 at 07:08 PM.

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

Oh, so then Oprah was at fault...So these 8 pages of ranting were worthless?

I was reading that Oprah was gonna say something about Hermes, I dont mean to be rude, but most of the women who watch Oprah couldn't afford Hermes, and even if they could, I dont think Hermes would care anyway.

Last edited by Diorling; 24-06-2005 at 07:14 PM.

24-06-2005
trendsetter

Same thing this evening on eyewitness news - Channell 7.

They made no mention of the North African statement( which both side agree that the was never said - as mentioned in the Washington Post.)

Look,if it is the case- I don't think Oprah had a hissy fit.

I think it MAY have been someone in HER "camp" that had a fit and behaved Divalike- but Oprah......NAH!

She is too reasonable and has too much class.IMO

24-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Oh, so then Oprah was at fault...So these 8 pages of ranting were worthless?

I was reading that Oprah was gonna say something about Hermes, I dont mean to be rude, but most of the women who watch Oprah couldn't afford Hermes, and even if they could, I dont think Hermes would care anyway.
Could you be a bit more specific
Oprah show has about 7-10 million viewer. (not counting repeats on Oxygen).

If only .05% of her viewers could afford Hermes- is that bad?

24-06-2005
army of lovers

Oprah has never played the race card in her long career and she doesn't have a diva reputation unlike certain celebrities(JLO, MARIAH). She felt she wasn't given good or any service because of her race/appearance, so she won't shop there anymore. And when you're a minority, like myself, you know when you're being discriminated at.

24-06-2005
front row

This is my opinion, as somebody that has actually worked retail. I hate the stupid customers that come in when we're closed. I don't give a crap about what race they are, african/asian/european/whatever, the most annoying thing ever is when a customer tries to come in when you're closed (or should be closed). Legally, we're not allowed to refuse entry to anyone or close the doors or ask anyone to leave until the last customer has left the store. If I had been working a long shift, and still had to clean up for a big event in a few hours, I'd do anything legal to get the store closed faster. So if, in France, its legal to refuse entry when the store is closed yet people are still in the store... I'm going to have to say I'd be siding with Hermes.

24-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Superb article. Thanks for posting.

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Marcel
Oprah has never played the race card in her long career and she doesn't have a diva reputation unlike certain celebrities(JLO, MARIAH). She felt she wasn't given good or any service because of her race/appearance, so she won't shop there anymore. And when you're a minority, like myself, you know when you're being discriminated at.
Well she wasn't being discriminated against. The store was closed. No on, no matter what race they are, has the right to demand entrance when a store is close.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
entry, hermès, oprah, refused, store