How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2013
backstage pass

Truly devastating. Not to mention scary.

Excuses made for him are disgusting.

16-02-2013
front row

What's more heart-rendering about this all, is that Reeva was scheduled to speak at a school on the issue of domestic violence (of which she had been a victim of in her previous relationship) and now it's come to light in her relationship with Oscar, as well.

raj
front row

I read some of her tweets...it's sad to lose someone who stood up for women's rights

17-02-2013
fashion insider

The South African police appear to be leaking a lot of info but this latest report is truly shocking. I think they need to lock him up and throw away the key if this report is true.
Quote:
Local reports stated police believe he may have used the bat to attack girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp before shooting her dead on St Valentine's Day morning.
Detectives are working on two other theories concerning the bat: that it was either used to break down the door of the bathroom where she hid, or that she used it to defend herself against Mr Pistorius, South Africa's City Press reported.
One bullet cartridge was found in the champion sprinter's bedroom and police are looking at whether he "chased" his girlfriend and fired the first shot before she locked herself in the bathroom and he fired three more through the door, the paper said.
It cited three sources "close to the high-profile investigation" who said the police had a "rock solid" case against South Africa's former golden boy.
A post-mortem examination on the body of the 29-year-old model revealed that as well as bullet wounds to the head, arm, hand and hip, she suffered a fractured skull, it reported.
"There was lots of blood on the bat. Forensic tests will show whose blood it was," one source was quoted as saying.
The latest revelations, under the headline The Case Against Oscar, come after his family launched a fightback campaign saying the police had no evidence to sustain a charge of murder.
Mr Pistorius' father Henke told the Telegraph in an exclusive interview that the family had "zero doubt" that Mr Pistorius shot Miss Steenkamp dead mistakenly thinking she was intruder.
He said the entire Pistorius family was "heart and soul" behind the athlete and would do "whatever needs to be done" to help him clear his name.

The family also released a statement in which they described the 26-year-old athlete as "numb with shock as well as grief" over the events of the past three days.
"We have no doubt there is no substance to the allegation and that the State's case, including its own forensic evidence, strongly refutes any possibility of premeditated murder or indeed any murder at all," they added.
A close friend of Mr Pistorius told how the athlete called him moments after Miss Steenkamp was shot.
"Oscar called me at 3.55am saying that Reeva had been shot. I said to him, 'What are you talking about? I don't understand you.' He then repeated himself – 'There has been a terrible accident, I shot Reeva," Justin Divaris told the Sunday People.
"Next thing his neighbour picked up the phone and told me it was true and told me to get to Oscar's home. I was in total shock. I asked the neighbour, 'Is she OK?' Did the gun go off by accident?' She replied, 'No. She's not OK. You need to get here'."
According to City Press, Mr Pistorius also called his father and sister and asked them to come to the house at around 3.20am on Thursday.
When they arrived, it said, Mr Pistorius was carrying his girlfriend's body down the stairs – her head and arms were "dangling", it added.
The athlete's sister Aimee has allegedly given a statement to police saying her brother told her he had shot the FHM cover girl thinking she was an intruder.
Miss Steenkamp was said to be still breathing as security guards, neighbours and Mr Pistorius' family gathered, and he tried to give her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
But once police and paramedics arrived on the scene, she was declared dead.
According to a source cited by City Press, Miss Steenkamp was wearing a nightdress, an overnight bag was found at the house and her iPad was on the bedroom floor.
"It was clear that both of them had slept in the bed," the source added.
The holster of a 9mm pistol similar to the weapon recovered by police was found on one side of the bed, the paper said. A bullet cartridge was also reportedly found in the bedroom and police are investigating whether Mr Pistorius fired one shot then "chased" Miss Steenkamp to the bathroom.
"The suspicion is that the first shot, in the bedroom, hit her in the hip," one source was quoted as saying. "She then ran and locked herself in the toilet. She was doubled over because of the pain. He fired three more shots. She probably covered her head which is why the bullet also went through her hand."
The Telegraph

17-02-2013
V.I.P.

lock him up and throw away the keys!

17-02-2013
tfs star

She tried to hide. What a monster

18-02-2013
front row

I'm sure the guy with no legs will do GREAT in prison. Hopefully cruel and unusual will be a daily part of his life.

clever ain't wise

^Well, at least he has callous manipulation down to a T.

18-02-2013
fashion icon

Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way. Don't get me wrong, like I've said before, I hope that Pistorius get's the proper court sentence, and from the new information that's been released, I don't see how he wont get some sort sentence. And I find that the way several newspapers and news-reports have been covering this case to be awful. It's disgusting that they've been using photographs from Reeva's modeling days as a way to lure in readers. I mean, have respect people, a women is dead, do you think her family wants those photographs splashed about? Also, does anyone else feel like some people are trying to make excuses for Pistorius's behavior? Like just because he's a world famous athlete, that somehow excuses the fact that he killed his girlfriend?

V.I.P.

It's vile that magazines are juxtaposing this woman's modeling photos with the news of her murder. We live in a culture so inundated with sexual violence that images of a woman in swimwear are used to advertise the gory details of her death like it's nothing.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way. Don't get me wrong, like I've said before, I hope that Pistorius get's the proper court sentence, and from the new information that's been released, I don't see how he wont get some sort sentence. And I find that the way several newspapers and news-reports have been covering this case to be awful. It's disgusting that they've been using photographs from Reeva's modeling days as a way to lure in readers. I mean, have respect people, a women is dead, do you think her family wants those photographs splashed about? Also, does anyone else feel like some people are trying to make excuses for Pistorius's behavior? Like just because he's a world famous athlete, that somehow excuses the fact that he killed his girlfriend?
I think part of it is in Western society we have cultivated this image of the "saintly invalid" who is somehow perfect or closer to God somehow because of his/her disability. It's pervasive throughout our culture; you see it in literature, films, and certainly there are several historical figures who seem to justify this image. The downside is we pity them but we're rarely ever given the opportunity to see them as complete human beings who have good points as well as flaws like the rest of us.

And of course, Pistorius himself had a remarkable story. I know a lot of people were initially shocked because he was an underdog the vast majority rooted for. And from the looks of things right now he turned out to be a monster.

18-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ Yeah. Erving Goffman's texts on stigma is worth reading. Such an interesting topic (disabilities, the way we perceive them, how they put in jeopardy our own "abilities", blahblah).

Regarding the murder... wow.. I'm honestly just WTF. For a moment I thought it could actually be a mistake (*naive by nature*) but the bathroom thing, her hand.. ugh.. how horrid, being so intimate with uhh your murderer, for such a long time.. there are many stories like this everyday but it's still so unsettling.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojou View Post
You know what has shocked me most about this horrible crime is the extent to which the media has been so sympathetic in their treatment of Pistorius, well at least in the UK. It's amazing how people are bending over backwards to make excuses for this guy and what he has done. Well, you might say that we have to wait for the verdict but it is clear that he did shoot her (he hasn't denied it) and that he has some kind of history of violence/bad temper. Yet all the coverage I've seen on the news is basically like a sympathetic obituary for him, making excuses about how hard his life has been, how he has had trouble with pressure, how much he has done for paralympic sport, how he was crying and traumatised in court etc. How about the poor woman who clearly suffered at his hands, maybe he's always been an evil psychopath? And at the same time you have One Billion Rising marches, all this (rightful) anger about high profile gang-rape cases in India & South Africa and lecturing 'third world' countries about women's rights. I don't understand why some kinds of men get excuses made for them. Maybe I'm not making sense but the news coverage of this has really made me mad.

I agree. I'm disgusted by the coverage in this country.
And that appalling Sun front page was clearly the icing on the cherry.

19-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way.
I wasn't mocking his disability. I was merely noting that he is going to have a difficult time in prison because of his disability. I wonder how the authorities would handle that? Would he get sent to a special prison for disabled people? How does that work?

V.I.P.

^ I knew what you meant, people here are too serious

He'll definitely get preferential treatment, being a celebrity and all. So I don't think his disability would even matter.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charged, death, girlfriend, model, murder, oscar, pistorius