How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2013
clever ain't wise

^I agree that his actions could be the result of paranoia. So he could be insane. The other alternative is that he murdered his girlfriend. He did not, in a sane condition, try to shoot an intruder.

23-02-2013
fashion elite

I think he's guilty, guilty, guilty.

1. Did he forget he has a girlfriend in the middle of the night while sleeping?
2. Why would an intruder be in the bathroom of all places, with the door locked?
3. Why the need to shoot an intruder FOUR times? One would suffice, maybe 2 if you were extra paranoid. One shot would make an intruder run.

I'm sorry, but saying he's innocent is believing an extraordinary lie. It's a good lie, but it's a very obvious lie.

Would you want to vulnerable to your boyfriend being able to brutally murder you because he was groggy or thought you were an intruder? What would that say about your society or your country if he'd be able to get away with that? Think about it like that.

Don't think about it in terms of, oh, we have to give Oscar the benefit of the doubt. Think about poor Reeva.

26-02-2013
fashion insider

I think the fact that he's on bail is an insult.

Plus, even if he thought it was an intruder ( that I do not believe for one second), he would still be a murderer. What type of person hears a sound and decides that the best course of action is to pick a weapon and kill? And apparently the "intruder" was actually hit with a baseball bat.

I do not know the law in South Africa but in the overwhelming majority of countries this does not constitute self defence, you cannot simply randomly shoot people as a precaution, and he would still be charged with murder.

26-02-2013
fashion elite

^I'm not sure of South African laws but I know in the US you can legally shoot/attack people who break into your home.

backstage pass

^You can in the US, but you there are circumstances where shooting multiple times at an intruder to make sure he/she is dead can be considered manslaughter, or justifiable homicide.
Lawyers have to try to prove whether you were in danger when you killed him/her vs. you were no longer in danger but you killed him/her anyways.

backstage pass

^Sorry it's not justifiable homicide, it's actually imperfect self-defense. You get charged for manslaughter when you are proven to have imperfect self-defense.
It's perfect self-defense if you're in danger and imperfect self-defense if you're no longer in danger.

Trying to prove justifiable homicide (no sentence) depends on the circumstances. If Reeva was completely unarmed (and from what I read she was) and the prosecution can prove this, he can't claim justifiable homicide (let alone any type of self-defense). Maybe it's different in South Africa, but preemptive self-defense (cases in which one kills another on suspicion that the victim might eventually become dangerous) is considered criminal, no matter how likely it is that one was right.

Last edited by Shiru; 26-02-2013 at 06:48 AM.
26-02-2013
V.I.P.

To add, Charlize Theron is from So Africa. So you're probably wondering what this has to do with the price of tea in China. Years ago when she won her Oscar, her bio became more prominent and one of her childhood experiences was mentioned in the media. Her mother had shot and killed her alcoholic/abusive father inside their home. Her mother did not face any charges because in that case, it was deemed self-defense.

So going back to Pistorius, I think the law would be the same - he needs to prove self defense. All signs right now do not appear to help him, despite the almost-comedy-if-this-wasn't-tragic circus surrounding the prosecution team.

26-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
To add, Charlize Theron is from So Africa. So you're probably wondering what this has to do with the price of tea in China. Years ago when she won her Oscar, her bio became more prominent and one of her childhood experiences was mentioned in the media. Her mother had shot and killed her alcoholic/abusive father inside their home. Her mother did not face any charges because in that case, it was deemed self-defense.

So going back to Pistorius, I think the law would be the same - he needs to prove self defense. All signs right now do not appear to help him, despite the almost-comedy-if-this-wasn't-tragic circus surrounding the prosecution team.
Well depends what is to be considered self defence, one thing is someone faced with an unarmed intruder shooting because he/she thought that person had a gun even if it hadn't, probably he could get away with this in South Africa or the US, another is actually going after the intruder to kill him.
Not even Edward Norton's nazi character (another out of the way reference) in American X could get away with it without being convicted.

But writing this is almost ridiculous, there is no way you can savagely kill your girlfriend the way he did and then pretend it was a mistake.

26-02-2013
backstage pass

^I'm pretty sure an unarmed intruder is not considered a danger to your life when you're the one armed with a bat and a gun.

TBH I don't think I've read about any case where self-defense/justifiable homicide was proved when the intruder was unarmed and the "victim" was armed with a gun...

fashion insider

If an intruder does come into your home it is easy for them to just go into the kitchen and get a knife or another weapon. It's interesting because that debate came up last year here in the UK. I mean they shouldn't be in your home in the first place so the question is who has more rights in that case?

This doesn't apply to Pistorius at all obviously but it's probably something they'll bring up.

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

but she wasnt an intruder so he is obviously guilty what are they can going to argue? he was stressed out from his fame or some bs that it was too much pressure?

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post

But writing this is almost ridiculous, there is no way you can savagely kill your girlfriend the way he did and then pretend it was a mistake.
Agree. I would have to pick my jaw off of the ground if he managed to escape this by the skin of his teeth.

11-03-2014
V.I.P.

Is someone else following the trial? ... I think I'm doing it just to get upset, his lawyer's attitude revolts me.

fashion insider

I've been paying attention to it. It is almost crude to say this but his lawyer has been excellent in the way he's ripped everyone's statements to pieces. That's why Pistorius hired him. Pistorius is also playing the role of the victim incredibly well. There is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be found not guilty even though to me he clearly is.

11-03-2014
V.I.P.

Yesterday I´ve heard that his defense claims that he cries like a woman... who else thought of The Simpsons´Ned Flanders? this is such a joke

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charged, death, girlfriend, model, murder, oscar, pistorius