How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2014
front row

I've been following the trial. I think he's 100% guilty and watching the trial is making me angry. But I agree with the statement above that his lawyer is ripping the witnesses statements apart. He's good. Does anyone find it disturbing that he's now dating a 19 year old girl?

14-03-2014
V.I.P.

I haven't seen any of the coverage, but I've heard reports of it. They said when they were talking about the bullets used and the damage they did that Pistorius was vomiting in the court room in a bucket!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
11-09-2014
tfs star

Oscar Pistorius Did Not Intentionally Kill Reeva Steenkamp: Judge

Quote:
Oscar Pistorius was set to meet his fate on Thursday.

In her lengthy review of the verdict facing the double-amputee Olympic track star, the judge stated that under South African law, Pistorius would not be found guilty of murder – the most serious charge he faced.

This left Pistorius, who openly wept in the courtroom Thursday, facing either culpable homicide or a complete acquittal.

The final verdict is expected to be delivered sometime Thursday, as the proceedings continue.

The emotional trial lasted six months in Johannesburg, South Africa, and included a month-long break so the Paralympian sprinter known as "Blade Runner" could be evaluated by a team of mental health experts.

Judge Thokozile Masipa, along with two legal assistants, then spent the past five weeks deliberating on a verdict in the shooting death of Pistorius's girlfriend – model and women's rights activist Reeva Steenkamp – early in the morning on Valentine's Day 2013.

The one-time Golden Boy of sports testified in his own defense in April and had remained free on bail throughout the trial.

While on the witness stand, Pistorius, 27, said he heard a window open in his bathroom in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013, causing him to believe intruders had entered his house and race to get to his gun to defend himself and his girlfriend, whom he claimed he thought was still in bed.

In a quivering voice, Pistorius referred to the moment when he said he thought there was a burglar as when "everything changed."

"I wanted to put myself between the person who gained access to my house and Reeva," Pistorius said.

Prosecutors, however, maintained that Pistorius shot his girlfriend in a rage and presented witnesses who painted him as short-tempered and gun-obsessed.

Pistorius had faced 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. A lesser murder charge or negligent killing would also have called for years in jail.
people.com

fashion elite

I just don't understand how the judge managed to come to this conclusion. It looks like he will be found guilty of culpable homicide which I understand is the term used in SA for manslaughter but I bet he'll get a suspended sentence for that.

11-09-2014
tfs star

^I have no words. It seems as long as you are somewhat of a celebrity, you can get away with anything. It's just sad at this point really.

fashion elite

Everyone says the legal system is corrupt in SA but I honestly thought as there was so much global attention on this case, it would be fairer.

11-09-2014
V.I.P.

I remember Masipa coming off as rather senile several times during the trial.. the fact that their whatsapp exchanges are meaningless for her as are the neighbors' testimonies or the food in her stomach and that she believes Pistorius was really scared for Reeva (!) just makes me think she wasn't quite 'with us' in the Spring. It's just so stupid, no words, and don't get me started on the 'you'll always be a hero!' people outside the court.

V.I.P.

devastating.
and deja vu - it's o.j. all over again.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
11-09-2014
trendsetter

So apparently they postponed the verdict. For me, whatever the outcome will be is really of no consequence, I mean he's walking either way, right? Its a black day for womens activists all over the world, and more importantly, the SA legal system has really made a mockery of themselves.

11-09-2014
fashion icon

This is incredibly disgusting and I cannot believe he was not found guilty on these accounts, it really speaks volumes on the justice system in SA. I read somewhere the the judge has in the past actually given very strict sentences in cases with domestic violence, so to see this verdict and knowing this actually makes it feel like even more of a punch in the stomach. It is disgusting what money can allow a person to get away with. Hopefully the overall verdict has some sensible part in it, otherwise I hope this judge can live with the fact she is letting a guilty man walk free. This is infuriating and I feel for Reeva's family so, so much.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
So apparently they postponed the verdict. For me, whatever the outcome will be is really of no consequence, I mean he's walking either way, right? Its a black day for womens activists all over the world, and more importantly, the SA legal system has really made a mockery of themselves.
I saw what you did there.

12-09-2014
trendsetter

Latest is that he's found guilty of culpable homicide, and guilty of firearm charge, could face 15 years in the nick! Sadly, he's been acquitted of murder. So conclude, a slap on the wrist at best!!

12-09-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTheGreatest View Post
^I have no words. It seems as long as you are somewhat of a celebrity, you can get away with anything. It's just sad at this point really.
EXACTLY. I'm so angry I cannot express. The fact that Masipa sides with OP and believes his version that he 'thought there was an intruder' is unbelievable to me. There have been a few articles stating that she isn't properly taking the definition of 'dolus eventualis' into consideration.

"Intent in the form of dolus eventualis or legal intention, which is present when the perpetrator objectively foresees the possibility of his act causing death and persists regardless of the consequences, suffices to find someone guilty of murder." (duhaime.org)

Articles are saying, and I 100% agree, that even though he may have thought there was an intruder in the toilet room, rather than Reeva, doesn't mean he still didn't murder someone and knew his actions could possibly kill someone. He fired 4 shots, at close range, into a very small room, without actually seeing a threat. So let's say he's telling the truth and he truly thought there was an intruder (which I think is BS): just because he killed the 'wrong' person (Reeva instead of intruder), doesn't mean he didn't just take a life. He knew what he was doing.

I could go on for days... I hope the state appeals the verdict.

12-09-2014
fashion insider

This is disgusting. How exactly can you shoot someone through a cubicle door several times and not meant to murder them? This type of defence opens a very scary precedent, since when your own personal paranoia justifies murder? if you think about it that defence can be applied to any murder.Absolutely revolting!

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 12-09-2014 at 02:50 PM.
13-09-2014
V.I.P.

sentencing is in a month. but it's interesting that the reaction is largely shock, not just from us. most people think that even if he didn't get "premeditation" it was at the least "murder"...

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 13-09-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charged, death, girlfriend, model, murder, oscar, pistorius