How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-02-2013
Rebaptising my badness

Oscar Pistorius charged with murder in death of model girlfriend

Quote:
Oscar Pistorius charged with murder in death of model girlfriend

Pretoria, South Africa (CNN) -- Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend at his South Africa home early Thursday.

Reeva Steenkamp, 29, and Pistorius, 26, were the only two people in the upscale Pretoria home at the time of the shooting, police spokeswoman Denise Beukes said.

In keeping with South African law, Pistorius will be named officially as the suspect when he appears in court. The first court appearance is scheduled for Friday.

The state will oppose bail, Beukes said.

Pistorius will not appear Thursday because the public prosecutor needs more time to prepare the case, police spokeswoman Katlego Mogale told CNN.

He arrived Thursday at a police station in Pretoria.

Pistorius spokeswoman Kate Silvers said the athlete is "assisting the police with their investigation but there will be no further comment until matters become clearer later today."

Police said Pistorius is cooperating with them.

There did not appear to be signs of forced entry at the home, Beukes said.

She also said there had been "previous incidents" at the home -- "allegations of a domestic nature."

Steenkamp was a model. Capacity Relations, the agency that represented her, said she was the victim.

Pistorius, nicknamed the "Blade Runner," made history when he became the first Paralympian to compete in the able-bodied Olympics last year.

Several South African media outlets reported that the woman was mistaken for an intruder.

Beukes said she was aware of those reports, but they did not come from the police force.

Pistorius' father, Henke, told the South African Broadcasting Corp. his son was "sad at the moment."

"I don't know nothing. It will be extremely obnoxious and rude to speculate," the father said. "I don't know the facts."

Beukes said that police were alerted to the shooting by neighbors and that residents "heard things earlier."

A pistol was recovered at the scene, police said.

South Africa has a high crime rate, and it's not unusual for homeowners to keep weapons to protect themselves from intruders.

However, Beukes said, "This is a very quiet area and this is a secure estate."

Pistorius, a double amputee, ran with the aid of prosthetic limbs during the London Olympics last year. His legs were amputated below the knee when he was a toddler because of a bone defect. He runs on special carbon fiber blades that led to his nickname.

While he failed to win a medal in the Olympics, his presence on the track was lauded as an example of victory over adversity and a lesson in dedication toward a goal.

Pistorius was initially refused permission to compete against able-bodied runners, but he hired a legal team to prove that his artificial limbs didn't give him an unfair advantage.

He smashed a Paralympic record to win the men's 400m T44 in the final athletics event of the 2012 Games.

The athlete was among the men featured in People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive issue last year.
CNN.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/14/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

14-02-2013
fashion icon

Wow. This is crazy.

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

He's hot. what a shame.

14-02-2013
fashion icon

To be honest, I am absolutely gutted by this news. I am gutted for Reeva, for her family and friends. I am gutted because as someone who has a disability (hard of hearing fyi) I really looked up to Oscar Pistorius for bringing issues like disabilities and sports into the mainstream. And I am gutted that we live in a patriarchal society where even a women who speaks out against abuse can be murdered. And as someone who found him to be really good looking, well that's also disappointing. Whatever the court case outcome is, I sure as hell hope he is stripped of his medals (there can be no doubt in my mind that he would be). And I also hope that people realize, that just because someone has a disability doesn't automatically make them a good person. In fact, those with a disability can be just as awful as anyone else. I'm sure we'll find out more news about what transpired over the next few days but I honestly don't think I could ever forgive him for this (and why should I?), what Oscar did was vile no matter which way you spin it. Sorry if this seemed like a rant but I'm really disturbed and upset by this news.

fashion elite

Such a tragedy

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

This is distressing news, Oscar is such an inspiration and I was rooting for him in the Olympics. This is truly awful. Like YoninahAliza says this is pretty unforgivable and even if people seem great, that doesn't mean they are.

14-02-2013
fashion insider

I teared up when I read this news, I rarely get moved in such a way, because I thought it was just an very unfortunate tragedy but since more news has come out it's become obvious that it was anything but. It's just the saddest thing that there were reports of violence at their home but nothing was done.

I remember during the Paralympics and to an extent the Olympics here in London he was the poster boy and an inspiration to everyone. He also became an inspiration to me and I greatly admired him and thoroughly looked forward to all of his races. This is just incredibly disappointing and heartbreaking and my thoughts go to Reeva and her loved ones.

14-02-2013
tfs star

I remember his less than stellar behavior at the paraolympics, very different from the image he put out at the "regular" olympics.
The details of this event keep changing except for the fact that a young woman with so much life to live will never have a minute more.
It's devastating.

15-02-2013
tfs star

Off topic, but why was he in the Olympic and not Paralympic? Just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

15-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Off topic, but why was he in the Olympic and not Paralympic? Just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
He was in both the London Olympics and Paralympics 2012

tfs star

^ But what was he allowed in the Olympics though?

15-02-2013
front row

You know what has shocked me most about this horrible crime is the extent to which the media has been so sympathetic in their treatment of Pistorius, well at least in the UK. It's amazing how people are bending over backwards to make excuses for this guy and what he has done. Well, you might say that we have to wait for the verdict but it is clear that he did shoot her (he hasn't denied it) and that he has some kind of history of violence/bad temper. Yet all the coverage I've seen on the news is basically like a sympathetic obituary for him, making excuses about how hard his life has been, how he has had trouble with pressure, how much he has done for paralympic sport, how he was crying and traumatised in court etc. How about the poor woman who clearly suffered at his hands, maybe he's always been an evil psychopath? And at the same time you have One Billion Rising marches, all this (rightful) anger about high profile gang-rape cases in India & South Africa and lecturing 'third world' countries about women's rights. I don't understand why some kinds of men get excuses made for them. Maybe I'm not making sense but the news coverage of this has really made me mad.

Last edited by sojou; 15-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
15-02-2013
V.I.P.

Must be the UK media, cause I don't get that same kind of journalistic sympathy for him here in the US news.

15-02-2013
tfs star

About the UK papers, that's disgusting. I don't even know how it would be possible to make excuses for him. Initially there were reports that it was a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong, but the latest information seems to point to this being entirely purposeful. He also seems to have had a history of domestic disputes. It's all just so sad. My heart and prayers go out to Reeva and her family.

We've got to fix this pervasive problem. We've got to start teaching girls and women to recognize the signs, especially the subtler ones (because some guys snap out of nowhere), and definitely to leave after the first time he hits you. This is just horrible news.

15-02-2013
fashion insider

Pistorius was an abusive SOB with anger management issues. I truly feel sorry for the girl.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charged, death, girlfriend, model, murder, oscar, pistorius