How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

Is Perez Hilton Over?
I was curious what you all think about this...a couple years ago I used to go to his site all the time, but I feel like its almost become irrelevant. He doesn't have exclusive scoops like Lainey or TMZ, but instead just regurgitates info from other sites, and the writing seems different too (does he still write the blog??).

It just seems to be a shell of what it used to be in its glory days. Are you all done with it or still reading for gossip?

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

I loved him at first but now it seems he is trying too hard.

fashion elite

His website has become more of a marketing tool for celebrities , but if im correct he wanted to be less katty and mean , because of his stance on anti-bullying.

Last edited by modela; 26-11-2010 at 03:27 PM.
26-11-2010
V.I.P.

ONTD is the way to go.

But satisfaction brought it back
26-11-2010
windowshopping

also if hes less catty and more mainstream he has a better chance of getting bigger advertisers interested in the site. In my opinion hes sold out.

26-11-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
ONTD is the way to go.
So True , i love their forum.

26-11-2010
Meg
inspired contemplation

I think he's come to represent mainstream celebrity blogging, and while he occasionally posts exclusive info, he doesn't break stories anymore. I think he's more focused on developing other parts of his mini-'empire' and so the blog is just there for advertisers and to represent what it once was. Because he takes a lot of articles from other places verbatim.

Definitely ONTD and Lainey are my celebrity gossip websites of choice. ONTD because they cover everything and pull a lot from other sites, and Lainey because she provides funny commentary, and I think she represents that not all celebrity gossip has to be 'of the minute' but can include personal thoughts. She's quite selective of what she posts (i.e. no 'sad smut') and isn't really set up to relay breaking news, but more 'behind the scenes' info. I also think she's forged a nice balance of working with celebs and still expressing her opinion. She talks to a lot of celebs for etalk but she doesn't sell out to them like Perez. Even after meeting Buble, she posted that she wasn't sure how she felt about him. Plus, she has good BI's.

So in brief, yes, Perez is over.

26-11-2010
fashion icon

Now that you mention it. I can't recall the last time I visited his site. I guess he is over. HaHa.

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

^Yeah same, it must have been months since I last visited the blog.

26-11-2010
scenester

His refusal to say anything mean has taken away from the reason why his website became so popular - because it was so mean and catty. On top of this, it's obvious his postings now are paid for by others (meaning all of the "LISTEN TO THIS GREAT SONG" posts that are absolutely terrible).

I'm glad others feel the same way.

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I think he's come to represent mainstream celebrity blogging, and while he occasionally posts exclusive info, he doesn't break stories anymore. I think he's more focused on developing other parts of his mini-'empire' and so the blog is just there for advertisers and to represent what it once was. Because he takes a lot of articles from other places verbatim.

Definitely ONTD and Lainey are my celebrity gossip websites of choice. ONTD because they cover everything and pull a lot from other sites, and Lainey because she provides funny commentary, and I think she represents that not all celebrity gossip has to be 'of the minute' but can include personal thoughts. She's quite selective of what she posts (i.e. no 'sad smut') and isn't really set up to relay breaking news, but more 'behind the scenes' info. I also think she's forged a nice balance of working with celebs and still expressing her opinion. She talks to a lot of celebs for etalk but she doesn't sell out to them like Perez. Even after meeting Buble, she posted that she wasn't sure how she felt about him. Plus, she has good BI's.

So in brief, yes, Perez is over.

It's just amazing how he let the site go so much in favor of mainstreaming himself and building cocoperez and that health website. He doesn't have a voice anymore. And if others are now writing it, he should give credit where it is due. I would've never thought his site would become so blah since he was at the forefront, even before TMZ and Lainey.

26-11-2010
oh! darling

I remember long ago that comments on his blogs were in the 100's. Now, I think it can barely reach 30.

trendsetter

I feel like ever since he started pimping lady gaga and showing obvious marketing bias he lost his edge.

I mean Lainey has her preferences (like Harry Potter or Colin Firth) but Perez comes across as more of a marketing machine for celebs now

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/

a little questionable since they (actually we, since i been a long time member on there lol) sold out to Buzz Media, due to the layout, but the broad topics and especially the comments make it so damn good.

i love those occasional EPIC posts and the wanks

26-11-2010
V.I.P.

Totally over. His numbers have been dropping like flys and he's still a vile bully.

ONTD and Laniey is the place to be. If there is some major issue (like Michael Jackson death) then I do check TMZ and People.com.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hilton, perez