Petra Nemcova and the Tsunami - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
28-12-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-on-metal
Oh yes, poor girl won't be able to model swimsuits again. I was appalled to see this story as the front page on today's New York Daily News. There is an indigenous population numbering tens of thousands in Thailand, India, and Sri Lanka that have lost their lives, their homes, and their loved ones. Everything. Gone. Forever. I'm sorry but I don't think the biggest sob story in all of this is the poor supermodel who won't be able to model next season. What about the children who lost both parents or the grandmothers that watched as their entire families were quite literally wiped out? They'll be getting the majority of my sympathy, not some stupid model who is alive and well and will return to her $$$$ SoHo apartment next week.
I agree for the most part, and I know that I posted this topic because it was relevant to fashion. I had a bitch about how everyone was reacting so weakly to the massive scale of the disaster.

Of course, it is slightly hypocritical to say we should not care about 'the poor supermodel who won't be able to model next season', of course we should care about her and her family, we should be concerned about everyone as humans. I do agree however, that no-one deserves any special treatment.

28-12-2004
tfs star

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-227820c.html

And we spend Billions of dollars to this stupid Iraqi WAR!

28-12-2004
scenester

The numbers of deaths seem to continue to grow on CNN and Fox News.

28-12-2004
Muse

this is all too sad and not to mention that it happened during the holiday season...

V.I.P.

thanks for posting all the links, may!!

28-12-2004
rising star

This is terrible news. I would love to help everyone affected. Poor Petra, I hope her boyfriend is safe and she will recover.

28-12-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyLee
I went to a gym this am and two ladies doing pilates are talking about Petra, I heard from them that Petra might be decapitated due to her injuries, I was horrified to hear that, as if clinging for 8 hours is not enough. Can somebody post for more info?
perhaps you mean amputated?

28-12-2004
backstage pass

its hardly her fault she got so much coverage..i feel just terrible for her along with everyone else!!! her boyfriend of two years is missing!! and she was such a sweetheart on conan obrien.

28-12-2004
tfs star

Amputated, yes. Sorry for my grammar. I'm Japanese-Brazilian.

28-12-2004
front row

I feel horrible for Petra and her boyfriend as well as their families. In fact on christmas they were just showing a segment of Petra on FitTV and I was watching it without any idea that probably at the same time she was caught up in that horrible storm. I mean, clinging onto a tree for 8 hours with a broken pelvis is unbelievable and sort of inspiring in a tragic sense, I have so much respect for her right now and all others that survived through the tsunami. I agree that our government is messed up in that tens of thousands of nameless people can die and it's lost as a statistic while several foreign tourists or a celebrity gets full blown coverage. Still, I don't think it's so much Petra's fault as it is the media that chooses to put the story on the front page news. My heart goes out too EVERYONE who had to endure this terrible diseaster.

28-12-2004
SCBl0ndie

From Sports Illustrated News..

Quote:

Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover model Petra Nemcova was injured and her photographer boyfriend is missing after the pair were caught up in the Asian tsunami disaster.

Nemcova told the New York Daily News that she survived the tsunami, which has killed at least 33,000 people, by clinging to a palm tree for eight hours, despite a broken pelvis and internal injuries.

Rescuers in Phuket, Thailand, took her via stretcher to a local hospital. She was eventually airlifted to a hospital in Hat Yai, 150 miles southeast of Phuket.

"I was so broken, I couldn't walk," Nemcova told the Daily News. "There were so many people with horrible injuries, with blood everywhere. It was like a war movie.

"There might be pieces of bone stuck to my organs."

Nemcova's publicist, Rob Shuter, told the New York Post that his client is "very lucky to be alive."

Nemcova, who appeared on the 2003 SI swimsuit cover, and her boyfriend, British photographer Simon Atlee, had been vacationing in Phuket when the waves swept over them Sunday.

"I can't find Simon," Nemcova told the Daily News. "It was horrible. I'm very lucky, but I can't find Simon."

Atlee's agent, Eve Stoner, said British authorities had no information on Atlee's fate.

"We are just very hopeful," Stoner said. "As time goes on we are getting quite frantic and stressed about it. Our thoughts are really with Petra and Simon's family at the moment."

In addition to her SI cover and fashion spreads, the Czech-born Nemcova, 25, has appeared in magazines such as Marie Claire and Vogue, and also has modeled for Victoria's Secret.

Atlee, 33, is a well-known fashion photographer who recently shot the pictures for Nemcova's 2005 calendar.

Nemcova told the Daily News that a huge wave pulled her and Atlee from the bungalow they were staying in at Phuket.

"It was so powerful I couldn't get up. I couldn't get out of it," Nemcova told the Daily News from her hospital bed in Thailand.

"People and kids were screaming all over the place, 'Help, help.' And after a few minutes, you didn't hear the kids anymore."

Fashion designer Jamison Ernest told the Post that Nemcova and Atlee had been dating for two years. Ernest spent 15 hours trying trying to locate Nemcova before finally reaching her.

"She sounded beat-up," Ernest told the newspaper. "She was in terrible pain and obviously very distressed.

"She said she doesn't know what happened to Simon. She started crying when she mentioned his name."

Family and friends have been calling hospitals in Thailand in hopes of finding information about Atlee.

"I have spoken to his sister in England and his family is just frantic," Ernest told the Post. "They have heard nothing and they are going out of their minds with worry.

"Simon is a lovely guy, and we are just hoping and praying for the best."
I found this esspecially sad:
Quote:
"People and kids were screaming all over the place, 'Help, help.' And after a few minutes, you didn't hear the kids anymore."

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

Petra Nemcova and the Tsunami
Apparently, as I saw on the nightly news, Petra Nemcova watched her boyfriend be washed out to sea and then was stranded in a tree for hours while she watched bodies float by. She is now in a hospital in serious condition.

May all you prayers go out to all of the tsunami victims and those affected by it. *humble*

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...=petra+nemcova

Sorry mods. Go ahead and delete, or merge.. or something.

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

There is a whole thread on this topic in "supporting cast". I would merge it if I could but it has to be moved by a mod resposible for this section. Thanks for posting.

28-12-2004
front row

all is as a nightmare.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nemcova, petra, tsunami