How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess View Post
Give the girl a break. They're clearly trying to avoid another Diana situation where she's given too much too soon and she ends up going slightly loopy. Didn't Harry even say William would have married her a long time ago had it not been for the fact that he was a member of the Royal family and that's a lot for a girl to take on? She's been in the public eye pretty much every week since she got married which is quite a lot given she's new to all this.

She's going to be our Queen one day - and she'll be doing hundreds of engagements by then.
She did not get the ring back then because William said numerous time that he wouldn't be married before 28 years old because he wanted to take time for himself and to really be sure of who he was getting married too.

She has been in the public eye since she started dating him. She is much more shielded now that she ever was before so to a certain extent it's easier to be the Duchess with help, advices and protection than it was to be Kate Middleton being swamped by paparazzi while leaving Bouji, Mahiki or going on holidays in the Seychelles

03-01-2012
don't look down

I wouldn't be surprised if her public engagements are strictly rationed at the moment, due to her needing time to settle into the reality of having to follow all that protocol, and the fact that media attention now exists on such an uncontrollable scale that it probably surpasses what Princess Diana had to contend with at the time, and there's been plenty said about the part that might have played in her misfortunes.

03-01-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kristina* View Post
^Her duties as a Duchess? She doesn't seem to do much else but go to few events where she looks pretty. People only talk about her style and what she wears because that is all she is right now... She hasn't done much (or any) charity work that I know of.
I agree. I'm not trying to pick on her, but her main role seems to be showing up to events looking glamorous, much like a celebrity, which is okay in my opinion, but why do the British people want the Royals to be so utterly pretentious? The Royals are still around to represent and preserve the tradition and finery of British culture, cool, I get it, but I find all the pretense of caring and compassion eye rolling. Many of the Royals seem to be of average character, the Queen is the only that has charm. Their charity work is mostly just saving face, they don't come across as passionate people to me (except for Charles perhaps, he wrote an interesting book...)

Last edited by ladi; 03-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.

04-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladi View Post
I agree. I'm not trying to pick on her, but her main role seems to be showing up to events looking glamorous, much like a celebrity, which is okay in my opinion, but why do the British people want the Royals to be so utterly pretentious? The Royals are still around to represent and preserve the tradition and finery of British culture, cool, I get it, but I find all the pretense of caring and compassion eye rolling. Many of the Royals seem to be of average character, the Queen is the only that has charm. Their charity work is mostly just saving face, they don't come across as passionate people to me (except for Charles perhaps, he wrote an interesting book...)
couldn't agree more. I would throw Harry in the mix as well. Those 2 seems like the only one who are doing their charity work because they like it, are interested by it and enjoy it. The only issue is that Charles lost all credit with the Diana debacle, while IMO he would make a very modern king who is interested in very modern issues than William. Sadly his actions are not that much publicised. Harry is also doing great work with the military but it's overshadowed by his partying ways.
Posted via Mobile Device

04-01-2012
backstage pass

i agree with you ladi. the royals seem to use charity as a pr tool. i also think only charles , and harry as ammarra say, are genuinely interested. i dont care that the others are interested or not because only the result count for me so i wish they would do charity wrok wether they like it or not. its normal that they get critics if they are "paid" to live like millionaires and dont give back.

04-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Catherine work for her parents company where she launched First Birthday but of course working for the family business meant you don't have a "real job".
She didn't "work" for them before late 2007/ early 2008 and I believe she moved full time to her parents home in 2008...when did she graduated? I am pretty sure with all her connections she could have found something else than a part time 4 half days a week as a accessory buyer (oh the irony ) and sooner! Or maybe she could have tried to stick with the job a bit longer ad with more normal hours instead of asking her employer flexibility to be available if HRH needed it..

She also could have taken the certificate during all those years she spent doing nothing instead of doing it now when it wouldn't matter anyway..

What I am saying is: she is doing it because she has to, not because she interested in it, not because she is passionate about it. I find it a bit sad because she lost the last 10 years of her life not building any passion or interest and now she has to start all over again because se has no idea what to get herself involve with. Since we can't compare wit Diana we could compare her with Charlene. She loves sports and took time to teach disabled and disadvantaged kids back home so it was logical for her to get involved with the para Olympics. Then while dating Albert she took an interest in fashion etc... Kate didn't do all of that and now it shows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dennab216; 04-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.

04-01-2012
rising star

Ammarra and ladi have summarised my thoughts pretty well but I wanted to add a few things.

Yes, she and William are 'part-time royals' and are focussing on his career and newlywed life. I think this is a great move and hopefully we will not have a repeat of Diana's experiences.

However, while they are newlyweds (and IMO doing quite well in their first year as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in terms of bringing a fresh vibe to the Royal Family) she has also been William's girlfriend since she was 20! So she has had time to learn about and understand what the future might have in store. Plus, Between then and her wedding what did she actually achieve of her own vocation? How involved has she been in Charities? How much advancement did she make in her career? From what I gather- not a whole lot is the answer to all three. Which is fine- some people aren't career minded, and it's find to work for the family business and it's fine to not be passionate about charities. But she isn't an icon of Royalty.

In what is primarily a symbolic role the world over there are so many other royals (not all of whom are in direct line for the throne) who are deserving of our accolades for their careers, charity work etc

All that said I like Catherine and I'm looking forward to seeing how she and William go in the next few years.

Last edited by frenchpearls; 04-01-2012 at 06:29 AM.

04-01-2012
fashion insider

General comment not directed at any single poster, please don't eat me: Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. They're royalty. I find all of this painful rationalizing to make it look like they're more than wealthy national symbols paid to smile and shake hands and provide publicity to the actual charity workers bewildering. Kate fits right in, far as I can tell.

I suppose most of us would have preferred Will had looked for a wife from the trenches of Red Cross so we could be super triple cherry sure the future queen loved the homeless kids she was palling with.

I must be too cynical. British royals very close to the throne have their whole lives to come to grips with the fact that they can't be anything more than smile-and-like-it photo philanthropists who may never rock the boat under any circumstances. I sure hope that Will and Harry enjoy what they're doing -- we don't run in the same circles -- because it would suck to have to fake it through life. But do any of us really believe that the royals are honest-to-god earning the lifestyle they're living right now?

So she was rich and didn't have to worry about getting a job or exploring interests that were sufficiently public enough to make it into the Daily Mail to assure me that she deserves a royal tiara. Man, if I started trying to pick from the bunch who deserved to be royal...

Will likes her. That's enough for me in terms of her suitability for the role. He has to live with her, for the most part. Everything from here on out is Royal Fam publicity as its always been from Queen Lizzy straight down. The only one worth a 2nd look to me is Prince Charles, who seems to actually have a vision about the way he wants to see the world, and doesn't just pick stuff because, you know, kids! the future, adorable, cameras love 'em etc.

04-01-2012
rising star

Timely given the discussions here, The Guardian reports Clarence House has released the charities she's chosen to support. A few extracts:

Quote:
She might be the future Queen, one of the most well-known women in the world (and a former Brownie), but like anyone wanting to volunteer with the Scouts, she had to undergo a criminal records check.
The Duchess of Cambridge is to become a regular helper with junior Scout groups in London and north Wales after making the Scout Association one of the first voluntary organisations with which she will officially be associated.
Quote:
As well as becoming a volunteer with the Scout Association, the duchess will become a patron of four other charities: Action on Addiction, which assists drug addicts and their families, the East Anglia Children's Hospices, the Art Room, which aims to increase children's self-esteem through art, and the National Portrait Gallery.
Quote:
The duchess began researching possible organisations in the autumn and made her choices after meetings and making private visits. The charities are intended to complement her husband Prince William's own patronages of the Royal Marsden hospital and the Well Child and Child Bereavement charities. More than 30 organisations are now involved with the Princes' charities forum, set up by William and his brother Harry in 2006.
As I'm studying Art History myself I'm pleased about her decision to work with the NPG and The Art Room!

Last edited by frenchpearls; 04-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.

05-01-2012
tfs star

I'm studying art history too so I'm actually very jealous of her position at the NPG!

I have to say I'm surprised that she's not doing anything for the Lifeboats. I've spent so much time in Anglesey and they're the biggest most important charity on the island.

05-01-2012
trendsetter

Well she studied Art History so this was probably the most obvious choice for her Must say that I am not jealous about that one at all

05-01-2012
front row

Really? I feel that Harry is a party animal

05-01-2012
fashion insider

Harry is a party animal but he is also a serving member of the armed forces who is training. I don't begrudge him of a night out or two as he's actually doing some good.

I like that she chose charities to do with Art as the cuts are hitting that area the hard.

06-01-2012
tfs star

^ Definitely.

I was also wondering why she's chosen to help Scouts over Guides or Brownies?

06-01-2012
rising star

BBC News - Why do charities want a royal patron?
Quote:
Rob Cope, director of Remember A Charity, agrees that royal patrons are incredibly hard working and their status helps charities - who are vying for public money and media attention - raise their head above the parapet.

He thinks royals frequently have more credibility than celebrities, and are able to reach different demographics such as older generations.

Then there is the small factor of their connections, which can boost the bottom line.

"Whether it is engagements, events or theatres attendances, the royals draw in other well-connected donors and celebrities.

"There is no doubt that royals drive millions and millions of pounds to the charity sector every year," he says.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16414839

I thought the entire article was interesting and well worth a read. It appears that there is some benefit to royal patronage, and it's a long tradition with the royal family, dating back three centuries. Of course, how much each individual actually puts into it will vary, but it does seem to be a significant amount of work on the part of the royal family.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, cambridge, catherine, duchess, news, prince, william