How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-01-2009
fashion icon

Princess Beatrice BMW stolen after she left Keys in the ignition while shopping

(Dailmail.com)

Quote:
<H1>Oh Bea! Princess's unlocked BMW stolen after she left keys in the ignition while out shopping
Quote:

By Robert Mendick
Last updated at 12:00 PM on 08th January 2009

She may officially be the cleverest Royal but Princess Beatrice's BMW has been stolen after she left the keys in the unlocked car's ignition while out shopping.
When the princess came out of the store, she discovered her BMW - given to her as a 17th birthday present by her father Prince Andrew - had vanished.
Her police protection officer had gone into the shop in Kensington, south London, with her, leaving the car unattended.

Passers by looked on as the BMW 1 Series with personalised number plates was driven off by a thief at high speed and in broad daylight.

At the wheel: Princess Beatrice driving last year. Her car was stolen this week as she nipped into a shop but left the keys in the ignition

It was reported today that Beatrice is upset and 'extremely embarrassed' by the theft of a car she cherished and preferred to drive herself.

The 20-year-old had stopped off in Devonshire Place in Kensington to 'nip' into a shop on her way to visiting a friend.

The car is said to have contained a number of personal items although sources at Buckingham Palace have suggested none was of a 'sensitive nature'.
Princess Beatrice is currently on holiday from Goldsmiths, part of the University of London, where she is in the first year of a three year history degree.

In 2007, she achieved an A and two Bs at A level, beating the previous record held by a Royal - Prince William's A, B and C.
Having had the car stolen yesterday, her protection officer radioed for back-up.

A marked patrol car arrived at the scene and was followed, it is understood, by another car bringing her sister princess Eugenie, 18.

The two princesses then went into a nearby pub.

Protection: Beatrice and her sister Eugenie, 18, (left) have 24hour security, which costs the taxpayer around £250,000 every year

The pub's manager Fei Hameed said today: 'They looked very cool and it didn't seem anything was wrong.'

A source close to Beatrice told the Sun today: 'She is naturally very shocked and upset. It is particularly embarrassing given that she is always accompanied by a police bodyguard.'
The theft of the car despite the presence of a police protection officer highlights Princess Beatrice's round-the-clock security provided at an annual cost estimated at £250,000.

Her sister gets the same treatment, prompting concerns taxpayers' money is wasted on the Queen's granddaughters - both of whom are considered a low-security risk.
In contrast, Beatrice's cousin Zara Phillips, who as a top equestrian sportswoman has a far higher profile, has no police bodyguard. Nor has Zara's brother Peter.

</H1>

08-01-2009
V.I.P.

well that's just stupid of her to leave the keys in the ignition

08-01-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

yeah the article doesn't really make it clear, but I'm pretty sure leaving the keys in the ignition was an accident as opposed to her thinking that she could just nip into the shops and no one would touch her car.

08-01-2009
V.I.P.

thats a pretty stupid thing to do. although I have seen people do it before

backstage pass

could happen to anyone.

08-01-2009
V.I.P.

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
08-01-2009
don't look down

And these things happen in an instant - the people who steal these cars often lie in wait and watch for victims, and take advantage in seconds, of any driver stepping outside to adjust something about their car or close a gate behind them.

It used to happen near my workplace, until the council removed the bushes and the seats that the thieves used to loiter on.

Meg
inspired contemplation

yeah I've definitely left my keys in the ignition once. Most new cars (I'm sure hers) won't let you lock the doors if the key is in the ignition and the driver isn't in the car.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beatrice, bmw, ignition, keys, left, princess, shopping, stolen