How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2011
V.I.P.

Raf Simons To Take Over Yves Saint Laurent?: Rumor Denied by YSL
Quote:
BREAKING BIG NEWS @JessicaMichault: Suzy Menkes breaks news that Raf Simons to take over at Yves Saint Laurent
twitter/BoF

25-09-2011
tfs star

You are fast! I just read it, too.

What's going on? Is Raf leaving Jil? Does that explain the sh-t collection that was Jil?

If this is true, I'm excited about YSL Homme again.

25-09-2011
fashion insider

I just saw this and it came as a surprise.

I think Raf could be amazing at YSL, but where will Stefano Pilati go? Poor Pilati, rumours have had him out at YSL so often, maybe this will be the one that's finally true.

fashion elite

What about Stefano? I think he was a perfect fit at Saint Laurent, I just don't know about Raf at YSL. I don't think that his style is a fit for the brand.

25-09-2011
windowshopping

Here's an extract from the article that started the whole thing (by Suzy Menkes)

Quote:
"MILAN — If Raf Simons ultimately takes over the helm at Yves Saint Laurent — as those familiar with the situation in Paris suggest — the designer will have found a sweet spot for his meticulous modernism.

The collection that Mr. Simons sent out for Jil Sander in Milan over the weekend, with its clinical white-shirt dresses opening windows on a sensual body and its slender paisley-print sheaths, topped with lightly veiled hats, was a master class in couture rigor.

Even images from Picasso’s ceramics were thrown casually into the mix, as though it were nothing to weave the artist’s brush strokes into a sweater, ask the family for permission and stir modern art into fashion.

“Midcentury modernism — the mentality as well as the aesthetic,” Mr. Simons said backstage to explain the anchor of his thoughts, and his desire to connect with a “powerful, healthy, happy woman.” A high-fashion vision, in other words.

The entire Milan spring/summer 2012, although lacking in new shoots, has had a whiff of “alta moda,” as Italy defines its haute couture.

But it is the total transformation of Mr. Simons from a street-smart menswear designer into a leader in women’s wear that illuminated the collections. Although the designer was traveling back to his native Belgium and could not be reached for comment on the subject of YSL, he certainly has earned an audition for that position.

A linear modernism was in every crevice of this show, from the set with its bright yellow, blue and green Mondrian-style squares of gravel, through the glistening gingham-check pants. It began and ended with the eponymous designer’s iconic white shirt — ending with it transformed into bridal dresses.

Between came sophisticated, streamlined clothes: pastel paisley dresses, drawn in a straight line to below the knee, but with subtle slits at the back or winking with sparkly brooches.

Compared with a year ago, when the swishing skirts in neon colors set the fashion agenda, this collection was less evidently an homage to couture. But Mr. Simons so thoroughly caught the refined, haute spirit in a pure, but sensual, and modern way, that he deserves a couture house and its heritage to play his fashion sonata."
(newyorktimes)

Last edited by daisyhawkins; 25-09-2011 at 02:03 PM.
25-09-2011
backstage pass

:O
Such a pity (about Stefano leaving YSL).. will be interesting to see what Raf Simons will bring to the brand.

25-09-2011
fashion elite

Stefano is my dream...oh no....I want to see him in YSL...Where will he be now?? I hope he presents his own colection...

25-09-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

I've to admit now I'm more interested in knowing who's going to take over at Jil Sander...

V.I.P.

Oh no. I love Stefano at YSL. I've always thought he ''got'' the YSL brand. I hope this is not true.

I'm not interested in Raf at Jil Sander so I hope to every god out there he doesn't ruin YSL.

25-09-2011
backstage pass

maybe jil is going back to jil sander? now that she's not with uniqlo anymore?

25-09-2011
clever ain't wise

After the last Jil Sander collection I feel sure his being at YSL is a great thing.

25-09-2011
V.I.P.

But I love Raf at Jil!
and just last season, I was starting to have hope for Stefano at YSL.

tfs star

I totally forgot about Jil Sander menswear by Raf somehow. If this is true, I'll sure miss that. But I guess there's YSL to look forward to.

25-09-2011
V.I.P.

Wow, that was unexpected. I love Raf at Jil, and i love Stefano at YSL. I really don't know how i feel about this.

Wanderlust

Shocking.
Did not see that one coming at ALL.

So Pilati to Armani in a few years ?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denied, laurent, raf, rumor, saint, simons, ysl, yves