How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

Girls exploring their sexuality are to be respected and protected, not offended by their elders. They are children still, emerging into adulthood. My resentment toward hip hop is the grimy sexual representation of women in media, and what women become when they join in the rap scene. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her to drop to such a subservient, cruel and degrading condition. I don't see anything empowering about rap for women or men. And I see nothing but poor posture. Hulking around like apes. Not my idea of entertaining, appealing or exemplary.

As for Akon, he's got a few lessons to learn, treating people like that, in front of a crowd. I'm no prude, but there's nothing artful about his pumpin' bod. I wouldn't want to tumble with that... Boycott his ***.

09-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra Skye18

Um ...No! When I was living with my parents I had never sneaked out to a concert or anywhere for that matter. Now I understand that not everyone was raised like me ie ~ with parents who always kept a watchful eye on their kids and knew where they were at all times of the day/night but still...

Your questioning reminds me of some people who say 'Oh like you've never been drunk before or high before' and my answer is No! to that as well- considering I've never had a sip of alcohol or a puff of anything, etc... If that makes me a goody goody or whatever to you or whomever so be it. There are some people who grew up without wanting to rebel or were curious to try/see certain things.
Oh yes. Couldn't have said it better. I have too much respect for myself. I don't place myself on some high rank or whatever, But I think I make better choices than most teenagers do.

09-05-2007
fashion insider

Ahaha, I realised I was looking at Akon's legs instead of her legs. Actually, I didn't realise that she had been promised a trip to Africa if she won the dance contest and then was told that Africa was a rapper...ahahaha, pathetic.

I wonder what would ahve happened if she had managed to get away..you reckon the crowd would have just pushed her back in or jeered? They were hardcore getting into that.

09-05-2007
101st monkey airborne

Here's a read: http://www.cafra.org/article87.html

Quote:
In the case of rape generally, there are problems which surround the definition of consent. If a woman is ‘immoral’, that is, a prostitute, or a lesbian, she abrogates her right to give consent if she is raped. In addition to this, although the legislation provides that mentally subnormal women are not able to consent to sexual relations, a disturbing number of these women are mothers to as many as six or seven children, and are also subject to physical abuse.
So, we've just got to prove the girl is mentally subnormal, or at least simulating sub-normality, y'see.

Anyway, threadjacking here, does anyone remember the happenings in the mud pit at the second Woodstock?

I don't want to blame the victim, as I've been raped, too, in a non-simulated way--but, Lordy--well, I can't complete the thought. I don't want to be harsh on the girl, nor on myself--despite all the "this should'n't or oughtn't happen", we don't live in Shouldn't and Oughtn't Land, now do we? If you want your head to spin, read about the Congo War and the rapes there. Girl, be careful where exactly that trip in Africa might take you.

I dunno what justice would be here. A simulated stoning of Akon, perhaps?

V.I.P.

Oh and Akon is far from TRUE hip hop. This clown is Hip-POP. He doesn't represent the real hiphop culture that had actual intellectual meanings to it.

09-05-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdrama

I dunno what justice would be here. A simulated stoning of Akon, perhaps?
*chokes*

Mellowdrama, you always make my day a little better, even if the subject matter isn't pleasant

Akon's quote about conflict diamonds makes me want to smack him upside the head. How ignorant and self-absorbed can you possibly be?

SomethingElse - I'm a firm believer in the power of word choice, though I'm often too lazy to give it much thought myself. Grimy is a stunningly perfect way to describe Akon and the larger problem.

Consensual or non-consensual, what he did was revolting and degrading.

& b

what was the little 15 yr old doing at a rapper concert that is known for such explicit lyrics and now "moves"?

yeah, blame the oh so good minister father who obviously can't keep a teenager home.

then again, its no right action from Akons part, I never liked him and this is just more to add to the list.

he's just plain trash, what can you do about that? its top charts and people promote this kind of **** on tv, therfore, there's no point on bitching about this cause its sadly not going to solve anything.

keep your children home, and don't expose them to these kind of music. Not hip hop, but the nasty music with the degrading lyrics.

V.I.P.

And he's supposed to be Muslim yet behaves like this? WTF? I don't take any of his songs seriously. What a tool. Using religion to shield your dirty behavior.

"I'm locked up, they won't let me out"...Damn right. Should have kept you behind bars. Like being a drug dealer is something to be proud.

Parents..lock up your kids.

09-05-2007
fashion insider

Isn't he only following islam because he wants to have more than 1 wife?

09-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

Uh oh. We're venturing into murky territory here, and we have younger members to consider (so I have learned on other threads).

I feel for the girl, the stupid rapper, and their respective families. I sense the shame they perhaps do not feel. And I believe that this phenomenon, in play and in fact, is very, very damaging in any culture.

Maybe we can talk about what we all do to avoid this kind of horrendous situation?

V.I.P.

Quote:
If a woman is ‘immoral’, that is, a prostitute, or a lesbian, she abrogates her right to give consent if she is raped.
WHAT?! IS THAT SERIOUS?! Prostitute, a little hard but able to understand, but being a lesbian means giving up consent? Who wrote this?!

But satisfaction brought it back
10-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Maybe we can talk about what we all do to avoid this kind of horrendous situation?
Yes indeed

10-05-2007
V.I.P.

Someone posted this earlier, but I found it bigger:

dlisted

She doesn't look too upset about it considering she's grinding on top of him in an ultra-revealing shirt. The age thing is odd IMO because this girl does not look a day under 19. Why was a preacher's daughter at an Akon concert in a "dance concert" with her breasts hanging out. People are saying not to blame the parents but, um, why is a 14 year old dressing and acting like that with no supervision?

I'm not defending Akon because his dry humping crap is obnoxious. He does that at every show and it's equally as gross everytime. I just hate this, let's villanize one person when this has been going on with willing participants (which she appeared to be) in all of his concerts.

I personally felt having to look at Michelle Malkin's mug in that video was equally as offensive

front row

seeing your hotlinked pic, i realized that it was that girl on top, i mistakened her for akon...so i think she knew what she was doing then!
i thought the situation was she snuck out to a concert, and she didn't know what she was getting herself into...i was trying to say that you cant always blame parents for their kid's behavior, obviously, this girl knew what she was getting into, and needs a scapegoat now that she was found out.
my apologies to anyone i offended.
and yes, if you never went behind your parents back, or lied to them even once, and did everything you were told, you might be a goody goody

101st monkey airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
WHAT?! IS THAT SERIOUS?! Prostitute, a little hard but able to understand, but being a lesbian means giving up consent? Who wrote this?!
It's from the site linked above in the post, about women's rights in Trinidad and Tobago. We really have come a very long way, but we've got a long way to go. Terrible things happen to women--well, any sort of person, really--everyday. Life just ain't fair, but keep on legislating nonetheless. It is the good fight. We might get there, someday, but I ain't holding my breath.

I don't want to take away from this girl's--how might I put it nicely?--symbolism--but what are women settling for, here? Objectify yourself to win a contest, and be shocked when you're treated like an object?
Toughen up, ladies. Get some sense--don't be a victim. I've been there, and you've got to keep moving.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
akon, minor, rape, rapper, simulated, stage, trouble