How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2011
V.I.P.

REM Breaks Up
I thought this was strange news. Coincidentally, i saw some x-rated nude images of michael stipe that he posted on his own tumblr this AM. ()

anyone else a fan of REM?

______
story from remhq.com

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

In their own words: The guys share their thoughts on why now.

MIKE

"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL

"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it.

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way.

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you.

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."

Last edited by lucy92; 21-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.

21-09-2011
V.I.P.

It sounds like a great decision. They seem to have prolonged their compromises a little too long when it clearly seemed like everyone was doing their own thing separately. They've already reached classic status as a band and as musicians, so good for them to end this in a quiet moment of their careers, without unnecessary fuzz.

flaunt the imperfection

weren't they supposed to break up 10 years ago or something?...

22-09-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
weren't they supposed to break up 10 years ago or something?...
Exactly, I didn't even know they were still together in the first place. I can't say Im a REM fan, but my brother listens a lot of REM songs, so I've heard a couple of them, I respect them, but Im not crying if they call it a day as a band.

girl who fell to earth

i didn't even realize they were still together

glad they're breaking up quietly though...
i can't abide those big farewell tours (only to see the group come back together for a reunion tour a few years later)

23-09-2011
V.I.P.

Losing My Religion will always be one of the best songs

29-09-2011
rising star

I had no idea... so devastated

07-01-2012
Rebaptising my badness

I'm listening to R.E.M. again after God knows how long. It's funny to think that I grew up forcefully listening to them because of my sister (she used to be a huge fan and, as only an older sister would do, she forced her music taste on me) and I used to have this love/hate relationship with their music. Then, many years later, I'd grab her CDs and listen to R.E.M. when she was not at home (I wouldn't be caught dead rocking to them, imagine the embarrassment? For all she knew I hated R.E.M.). I've been wanting to listen to their music again for some time but I only got around to it today. They were a really great band for about 15 years until Bill Berry left and they became too mellow/poppy for their own good. They actually should have broken up right after Monster (maybe before would have been better because that album sucks) but that would have probably been a bad decision commercially speaking - after all, Monster did help them reach rock legend status. Anyway, good for them for going their separate ways quietly. To me they'll always be about their first eight albums, the only ones that really matter when it comes to what they have left for the future generations and their contribution to music. Back then they sounded like a power trio with the added vocals of a lunatic. It was quite powerful and overwhelming. How many bands today can write songs like "Orange Crush" or "Radio Free Europe"? Very few, I presume. (Actually, I can only think of one.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
breaks, rem