How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ I didn't know Hilary Alexander was retiring.
I feel that by opening up, fashion has also succumbed to the social parameters that the rest of the world/creative fields were already subjected to. The 'popular' girls' uniform that you mention with the VP staff, ADL.. there's definitely been a switch that's gone from generating attention based on who invests more creativity in that tiny world where everything goes to who generates attention as business-strategy, or just by being greedy and still gets to be accepted. Weird times. There's more access, but less liberty, more offers but it tends to look the same. Turns out it's better to design how not to conform (Japanese fashion) than keeping it in thoughts or as a lifestyle.

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

RIP Diva Piaggi! You shall be missed immensely!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
it's so sad really because it's not just the death of piaggi but i feel like,this in addition to losing issy blow and hilary alexander retiring,it really emphasises the fact that we're losing all our great wonderful eccentrics. with all the robotic alt/roitfield/dello russo clones having become so rampant these days,the true non-conformist characters has become so rare. the only people that even compare now is diane pernet and lynne yaeger and that's not something any of us could have ever said a decade ago. what's happened to fashion? what's happened to the experimenting? it's become so staid and not that exciting on the people-watching front.
So true. I really loved reading all the tributes about Anna and how they all celebrated her unique personality and style and yet it kind of makes you wonder why this is the point that has to be emphasized rather than how awesome her style actually was, seeing as how we should all be unique originals and not just 'robotic clones', as you call them. It's crazy that fashion, something most of us consider a form of art, has had so little distinctiveness and originality to offer lately, especially among the people that are supposed to be leading in showing us inspirational and admirable beauty and style. You just see so little of that special something in the fashion personalities' own style and their work, Anna definitely always had "it", she looked fabulous and elegant no matter what crazy and extravagant clothes she was wearing, she rarely looked comical and never looked as if she tried too hard, her style was fun, interesting and so fantastic. A true creative genius.

RIP Anna

09-08-2012
-- aGGravaTion de caS --

That's sad sad news...
RiP

tfs star

just outta curiosity..

What exactly was her column for VI about? I don't speak/read/understand Italian, so it's not like I could ever read it for myself. And I don't recall ever seeing any scans of it in all the bazillion VI threads in Magazines (but then again, I also don't go through all 20, 30+ pages in those threads either).

10-08-2012
V.I.P.

^it's a regular feature, called Doppie Pagine (double-page or just DP), a montage of images and text, cropping and close-ups from the current season’s runway designs.
Some examples:
http://www.vogue.it/magazine/fashion...by-anna-piaggi
http://www.vogue.it/magazine/fashion...01/playfulness
...etc.

tfs star

Oops, I didn't even think to check the VI's website. Silly I. Thanks, tentalicious.

11-08-2012
V.I.P.

That's sad. I always admired her. RIP Anna.

clever ain't wise

May she rest in peace.

23-02-2014
scenester

MODIT add 1992
I worshiped this woman growing up - she was such a character but never let her eccentricity allow people to doubt her incredible fashion knowledge and abilities

This picture was stuck on my wall above my desk for many years

X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP.jpg (116.4 KB, 2 views)

28-02-2014
V.I.P.

I so MISS her pages in vogue italia....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, piaggi, rip