RIP Azzedine Alaïa - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

4 Weeks Ago
tfs star

RIP Alaia. Such a mastermind is now gone. He'll forever be remembered.

4 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

It's so sad to see such a talented designer and kind human being pass away. His last collection was one of his best and you can truly see his love for fashion shining through in every piece, such a rare occurrence nowadays-to think that was the last time he'll be able to bring that joy to the world is heartbreaking. May he rest in peace.

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Utterly heartbreaking! Such a legend that changed the way we look at fashion today. May he rest in peace.

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Azzedine! You will be missed, always.
One of my all-time favourite fashion heroes, artist and cultural figure.
Rest in peace.

Last edited by Pastry; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:48 AM.
4 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

one of the greats, a legend from a time when fashion meant more than followers and profits and a dozen collections a year.

4 Weeks Ago
fashion icon

Oh my god! Are you serious? Does anyone know what happened? The Cause?

For me his brand and work were the pinnacle of luxury.. his clothes the utter definition of timeless.

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

terrible, just terrible

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

The one and only... the true genius and the man of integrity... RIP

4 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

RIP, such a sad day.

4 Weeks Ago
everything sucks!

What a loss, had no idea he was 77. What's with him and Anna Wintour though?

4 Weeks Ago
fashion icon

^
Quote:
None of Azzedine Alaïa’s dresses appear in the Costume Institute’s new “Model As Muse” exhibit. He wasn’t invited to the gala, either, even though seven models, including Naomi Campbell, asked him to make dresses for them, thus asserting his popularity among, and significance to, the subjects of the Met’s new exhibit.
Quote:
Alaïa blames gala hostess Anna Wintour for excluding him. “She has too much power over this museum,” Alaïa tells the New York Times. Alaïa has received very little attention from Vogue over the past fifteen years.
thecut.com

4 Weeks Ago
front row

terrible news! he's had a legendary career. may he RIP

4 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
What a loss, had no idea he was 77. What's with him and Anna Wintour though?
She stopped putting him in the pages of Vogue when he started to not follow the fashion system in the 90's, despite the support of all the others publications and buyers.
That's when their feud started.

4 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

^^^ Despite being a powerful, intelligent individual, she’s so insufferably insecure with her brand of high school mean girl pettiness. She banishes Azzedine from her Vogue to punish him for not keeping to the fashion system— just like her banishing Madonna from Vogue because god forbid, Madonna refused to perform for her in exchange for being named artist of the year at some crummy Vogue-sponsored event. She must be so obnoxious to be around if you dare to remotely disagree with her. Such bratty little woman.

So glad Azzedine continues to be supported by true creative individuals to the very end. That must have killed Anna just a little. I loved his straightforward, no nonsense approach to life and work. There was an insightful interview way back in 91 for Interview Magazine in which he matter-of-factly told his story of his beginnings as a nanny/maid all the while designing dresses in his little alcove. And I loved how even with all the fame and adoration and all the love of a fickle, and still loyal industry, he was never one to demand the spotlight— even going so far as clawing desperately to the door refusing to be centre-stage while Naomi attempted to drag him out to the runway for his bow LOL

He remains an inspiration.

4 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

^^
Yes but thankfully, mr Alaia remained friend with Grace and Andre. I think that Grace managed to include some Alaia clothes recently. But a few, really a few because soon after he made that infamous comment about Anna and Karl again.

This is usual. I don't think anyone is to blame. Alaia was a man of conviction and that's the same for Anna. They are not that different after all.

High School pettiness in the fashion industry is a behavior that can be find in a lot of person. Alaia like Anna was kind to a lot of people but also less kind to some. That's human.

At the end of the day, his body of work will remain. He has influenced basically every designer we have seen coming from the late 80's to now...Starting with the like of Helmut Lang to Alexandre Vauthier.

2017 was such a terrible year for fashion: Franca, Pierre Bergé, Hervé Leger and now Azzedine Alaia...So sad!

Fun fact about Mr Alaia: He always lied about his age. I'm only discovering now that he was very to age with Karl.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
77, age, alaïa, azzedine, passed, rip