RIP Azzedine Alaïa - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

So heartbreaking, but he left a legacy that will be nearly impossible to match, in his cut as well as his commitment to his business and craft to do things his way.

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Such tremendously sad news! His work was really timeless and much revered despite the underrepresentation not only in US Vogue but elsewhere. I think that was more his style. He wasn't about buying each and every cover in the world to sell, sell, sell. It's a slight to even mention his name in the same breath as Karl and Anna. He wasn't a star designer and he certainly wasn't a crude capitalist.
Someone posted a link to his documentary a while back, and that was a really insightful look into his life.

If Anna banished him from Vogue and the Met Gala, how will it look when they do a tribute? They have to do one, right?
Also, I hope they just close the house. That sounds mean to everyone who's working there, but I don't think Richemont should look for a replacement.

3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Such tremendously sad news! His work was really timeless and much revered despite the underrepresentation not only in US Vogue but elsewhere. I think that was more his style. He wasn't about buying each and every cover in the world to sell, sell, sell. It's a slight to even mention his name in the same breath as Karl and Anna. He wasn't a star designer and he certainly wasn't a crude capitalist.
Someone posted a link to his documentary a while back, and that was a really insightful look into his life.

If Anna banished him from Vogue and the Met Gala, how will it look when they do a tribute? They have to do one, right?
Also, I hope they just close the house. That sounds mean to everyone who's working there, but I don't think Richemont should look for a replacement.
He was a star designer, maybe not as big as Karl but he was obviously.
What i find sad is that there weren't that many documentaries about him lately. He was more "active in the medias" in the 80's.

I would also love for Richemont to close the house but it seems impossible now. I hope that he didn't sell his house entirely and kept at least 50% of it for his family.

What was great about him was the fact that he was an artisan rather than a designer and in fact, they have always sold archives pieces. I think that his business model was healthy and could stay forever like that.

What will happen to his Atelier/Hotel/store in rue de Moussy? I can't imagine that anyone would go there from now... Maybe it should become a museum as he was a Couture collector.

3 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

Azzedine never needed Anna. Who cares if she acknowledges him or not in her middle-America catalogue. Hopefully Emmanuelle will pay tribute to him in her Vogue; that would be a worthy offering.

I remember watching a series back in the early-90s but I think it was produced in the late-80s: It was a series of thriller/supernatural shorts that were directed by an international roster of directors. One featured a French director and the main protagonist wore Azzedine Alaia— and Claude Montana. Both designers had a similar style back then, just that with Cluade’s more hyper-pop art lines, even cold, Azzedine’s were more sensual and warm and playful. I remember just being in awe of this character and how effortlessly chic and regal she looked; the way she gracefully and rapidly got dressed, threw on her Montana/Alaia trench, tied it and walked out the door looking so chic… That seems to be what Emmanuelle is also like. None of this 3 hours to get ready nonsense.

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

I missed this news.
A sad loss of a design visionary...
sweet dreams

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Oh God, I'm dreading to see what Emmanuelle Alt will do with his tribute. She doesn't have the diversity to tackle it. She's too limited and should stick to her extolling the virtues of Saint Laurent or whatever hyped 'vintage' brand doing the rounds now.

And btw Lola, the cult which surrounded him was organic - he never encouraged or furthered it, unlike others. And extremely modest artist and gentleman, with no delusions of grandeur.

3 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

^^^ Why do you hate my woman so?????

Azzedine’s archive,... would be ideal for Emmanuelle brand new retro approach, actually…

3 Weeks Ago
front row

He was a true artist. I can't imagine anyone else designing under his name.

3 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

Another great loss. He is such a legend and will always be remembered.
It's a very bad news for fashion industry.

3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Oh God, I'm dreading to see what Emmanuelle Alt will do with his tribute. She doesn't have the diversity to tackle it. She's too limited and should stick to her extolling the virtues of Saint Laurent or whatever hyped 'vintage' brand doing the rounds now.

And btw Lola, the cult which surrounded him was organic - he never encouraged or furthered it, unlike others. And extremely modest artist and gentleman, with no delusions of grandeur.
Mr Alaia like "the other" (i think i know who you're talking about) is one of my fashion hero. So i would not oppose him with another one solely because i think that both paid their dues and deserve (d) more than anyone else the success they have (had)...

It's too bad that VP's tribute will only come in February.
Their tribute to Saint Laurent was very modest but as Alaia was more socially active and a friend of the magazine, i hope they will give him a proper tribute.

Last edited by Lola701; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:17 AM.
2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Truly breaks my heart. May he rest in peace.

trendsetter

RIP Master
you were one of the best to ever do it!

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

If you wish to post some of your favorite looks from over the years, or just review some of his work ... you may do that here: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...l#post14041525

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
77, age, alaïa, azzedine, passed, rip